2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via Twitter.com:

MrMichaelLee John Calipari told ESPN's "Mike & Mike" that Anthony Davis will be a 3 or 4 in the NBA. "He’s not a 5 in any way, shape or form." Hmm.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      I actually really like the idea of T-Jones in TO. Casey would be able to keep him motivated. I'd take him over Barnes any day.
      Agreed. I'd take him over Barnes too.

I would even take a flyer on PJ3 over Barnes (assuming we fall out of the top 5).

Comment

• I will have a complete mental breakdown if we take PJ3
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I actually really like the idea of T-Jones in TO. Casey would be able to keep him motivated. I'd take him over Barnes any day.
          I'm not a big fan of Jones - although I was at one time. He is still young so many he'll grow out of the inconsistency and bonehead plays.

Beyond that though and looking at Toronto, Jones and James Johnson are very similar players. James Johnson's shot is a work in progress but I think he is better at all other facets of his game than Terrence Jones. Jones is younger but is more youth and development really what the Raptors need for another 3/4-SF/PF player? JJ and Kleiza are already filling this role.

In my opinion, assuming the Raptors evaluation shows Jones and Barnes (or Lamb or Ross or whoever) to be equal prospects, go with filling of a need. Jones doesn't address any need for Toronto and is not a superior prospect - again all my opinion.

Comment

I will have a complete mental breakdown if we take PJ3
            I might add a few more gray hairs if they pick 10th.

I will join you in the loony bin if it is any lower than that.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I'm not a big fan of Jones - although I was at one time. He is still young so many he'll grow out of the inconsistency and bonehead plays.

Beyond that though and looking at Toronto, Jones and James Johnson are very similar players. James Johnson's shot is a work in progress but I think he is better at all other facets of his game than Terrence Jones. Jones is younger but is more youth and development really what the Raptors need for another 3/4-SF/PF player? JJ and Kleiza are already filling this role.

In my opinion, assuming the Raptors evaluation shows Jones and Barnes (or Lamb or Ross or whoever) to be equal prospects, go with filling of a need. Jones doesn't address any need for Toronto and is not a superior prospect - again all my opinion.
              I was thinking the exact same thing. Jones and Johnson are way too similar and T Jones wouldn't have that much more of an impact than JJ does. If we're going to draft a 3 it has to be someone who is quick, can slash, defend and shoot(with exception to MKG)

Comment

I will have a complete mental breakdown if we take PJ3
                PJ3 worries me too.

I still think that Colangelo's toughest decision might come if Drummond has a very impressive workout / combine and is available when they pick. The way this draft class is shaking up, there is only one prospect that seems very likely to be a franchise-changing player (Davis). The only other player that I can see who has the potential to reach that level is Drummond, which probably explains why he remains so high on mock drafts. I would define a "franchise-changing player" as someone who gives the team a very big positional advantage over the opposition in almost every game, to the point of diminishing the importance of other match-ups. So, for example, a player like LeBron or Dwight Howard is so dominant at their position that it overshadows other match-ups. Drummond seems much less likely to reach that pinnacle than Davis, but I can't really see any of the other prospects (outside of Davis) coming close. PJ3 seemed to have that potential a couple of years ago, but he now seems a long way from a KD type of player. One of the considerations for Drummond is his very young age. When he is drafted, he will be almost a year younger than Dwight Howard was when he was drafted out of high school.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

I am a bit higher on T. Jones than I was before the tournament. He looked pretty focused on defence, and seemed to be able to play at the the 3. If he can play the 3 in the NBA, he might fill a need on the Raptors. But, he would only be a real option if they fell a few spots to around 9-10 in the lottery, I would think.

I think he will have a substantially higher ceiling than James Johnson. He is bit bigger and I think he has considerably more offensive upside. Remember JJ was already 22 years old when drafted as a sophomore - two years older than T. Jones.
                  Last edited by Bouncepass; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                    I am a bit higher on T. Jones than I was before the tournament. He looked pretty focused on defence, and seemed to be able to play at the the 3. If he can play the 3 in the NBA, he might fill a need on the Raptors. But, he would only be a real option if they fell a few spots to around 9-10 in the lottery, I would think.

I think he will have a substantially higher ceiling than James Johnson. He is bit bigger and I think he has considerably more offensive upside. Remember JJ was already 22 years old when drafted as a sophomore - two years older than T. Jones.
                    But T Jones can't shoot. He plays around the rim too much and i think we need a guy who can slash and shoot.

Comment

• JJ's finally putting it together now in his third year, I think T-Jones is a much better prospect. That said, I do see how drafting him wouldn't make a ton of sense considering we already have JJ who does a lot of the same things.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        But T Jones can't shoot. He plays around the rim too much and i think we need a guy who can slash and shoot.
                        So you agree Demar's time here is nearly over?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

So you agree Demar's time here is nearly over?
                          What are you talking about? DeMar doesn't play around the rim. He slashes and shoots like i said, but we need a guy beside him that can do those things and also defend and handle the ball.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                            PJ3 worries me too.

I still think that Colangelo's toughest decision might come if Drummond has a very impressive workout / combine and is available when they pick. The way this draft class is shaking up, there is only one prospect that seems very likely to be a franchise-changing player (Davis). The only other player that I can see who has the potential to reach that level is Drummond, which probably explains why he remains so high on mock drafts. I would define a "franchise-changing player" as someone who gives the team a very big positional advantage over the opposition in almost every game, to the point of diminishing the importance of other match-ups. So, for example, a player like LeBron or Dwight Howard is so dominant at their position that it overshadows other match-ups. Drummond seems much less likely to reach that pinnacle than Davis, but I can't really see any of the other prospects (outside of Davis) coming close. PJ3 seemed to have that potential a couple of years ago, but he now seems a long way from a KD type of player. One of the considerations for Drummond is his very young age. When he is drafted, he will be almost a year younger than Dwight Howard was when he was drafted out of high school.
                            +1 Drummond will be the #2 pick in thins draft. If he falls outside of the top3 his a steal.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• At the end of the day I will be crush if we leave T-Rob on the board. Andrea can average 40 till the years end I still won't care. Rebounding and toughness wins games and we have neither coming from PF position.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• What's funny is that nobody was talking about T-Rob 2 months ago...

Comment

Working...
                                X