2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    I want the Raptors to find the guy who had the fake Kwame Brown college stats that "bounty" posted.
    Wasn't it Hasheem Thabeet? lol

Comment

• I look at the draft and I don't see anyone who can come in and just go crazy and turn the raps around, besides maybe Davis. Why have all the recent drafts been so crap?

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        I look at the draft and I don't see anyone who can come in and just go crazy and turn the raps around, besides maybe Davis. Why have all the recent drafts been so crap?
        Because that caliber type of player only comes around once in a blue moon
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Is Perry Jones III actually a 3?

Is Perry Jones III going to be a superstar or a dud? That's the question many NBA GMs are pondering right now.

Given his A-plus talent and C-minus motor … your guess is as good as any.

His draft stock has been falling all year as fed-up scouts and GMs feel that he's out of excuses.

But there is an interesting subtext to the Jones debate. Are we looking at his game the wrong way? Maybe the reason he struggles to dominate is because he's being asked to play out of position.

"He really has the game of a 2-guard or a small forward," one respected NBA GM told ESPN.com. "Baylor used him as a center for the past two years, so you rarely got to see him comfortable. It's like, what if UConn had tried to play Rudy Gay at the 5? I think people would've had a very different opinion of him on draft night."

Jones has frustrated scouts since his high school days. He's always had the requisite size, length and athleticism to be an NBA stud. He also has had a fairly advanced perimeter game for a while. He can handle the ball and break guys down off the dribble and has a solid jump shot. He has always been the team's most willing passer. Had Scott Drew let him run the point, would things have been different?

Scouts have focused on Jones' perceived lack of toughness. He doesn't block shots. He shies away from contact. He floats a lot out on the perimeter. It's rare to see him aggressively take control in the paint. Those are all things that elite 4s do in college. But if he's a wing? The standard may be just a little bit different.

So what is he? I spoke with an NBA scout last year who had an interesting take. He said NBA scouts should quit trying to project what a player should be and focus on scouting a player based on what the player thinks he is.

"Players are who they think they are, not who you think they are," the scout said. "Perry Jones thinks like a point guard, not a big man. That's where his heart is. Embrace that and he's going to be amazing. Fight it and he could be a huge disappointment."

A year and a few months later and that's where we are. Draft Jones as a dominant 4 man who will defend, make a living in the paint and outwork the next guy and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Let him play like Rudy Gay, give him the ball on the wing and let him create and he might just surprise you.

We currently have Jones ranked No. 9 on our Big Board and have him going No. 12 to the Milwaukee Bucks in our Lottery Mock Draft. Both of those numbers are probably close to his floor as an NBA prospect. If he has great workouts and if a team with the right system is drafting above that, Jones could go anywhere between 5 and 12 on draft night.
          http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...iii-nba-future
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Perry Jones III: Boom or bust?

(From ESPN Insider)
            Is Perry Jones III going to be a superstar or a dud? That's the question many NBA GMs are pondering right now.

Given his A-plus talent and C-minus motor … your guess is as good as any.

His draft stock has been falling all year as fed-up scouts and GMs feel that he's out of excuses.

But there is an interesting subtext to the Jones debate. Are we looking at his game the wrong way? Maybe the reason he struggles to dominate is because he's being asked to play out of position.

"He really has the game of a 2-guard or a small forward," one respected NBA GM told ESPN.com. "Baylor used him as a center for the past two years, so you rarely got to see him comfortable. It's like, what if UConn had tried to play Rudy Gay at the 5? I think people would've had a very different opinion of him on draft night."

Jones has frustrated scouts since his high school days. He's always had the requisite size, length and athleticism to be an NBA stud. He also has had a fairly advanced perimeter game for a while. He can handle the ball and break guys down off the dribble and has a solid jump shot. He has always been the team's most willing passer. Had Scott Drew let him run the point, would things have been different?

Scouts have focused on Jones' perceived lack of toughness. He doesn't block shots. He shies away from contact. He floats a lot out on the perimeter. It's rare to see him aggressively take control in the paint. Those are all things that elite 4s do in college. But if he's a wing? The standard may be just a little bit different.

So what is he? I spoke with an NBA scout last year who had an interesting take. He said NBA scouts should quit trying to project what a player should be and focus on scouting a player based on what the player thinks he is.

"Players are who they think they are, not who you think they are," the scout said. "Perry Jones thinks like a point guard, not a big man. That's where his heart is. Embrace that and he's going to be amazing. Fight it and he could be a huge disappointment."

A year and a few months later and that's where we are. Draft Jones as a dominant 4 man who will defend, make a living in the paint and outwork the next guy and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Let him play like Rudy Gay, give him the ball on the wing and let him create and he might just surprise you.

We currently have Jones ranked No. 9 on our Big Board and have him going No. 12 to the Milwaukee Bucks in our Lottery Mock Draft. Both of those numbers are probably close to his floor as an NBA prospect. If he has great workouts and if a team with the right system is drafting above that, Jones could go anywhere between 5 and 12 on draft night.
            I despise Chad Ford but its a interesting writeup. PJ3 could very well be the 2nd best player in the draft.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• lol Looks like we were reading this at the same time
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                He is actually a poor defender. He won't hang with the guards in this league. He will actually be Jose 2.0 but a lil more risky.
                Right he'll be a Jose who can't shoot and without Jose's early career quickness, pass.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• This is the most interesting case in terms of players in the draft IMO, followed by Quincy Miller and Harrison Barnes. These three guys are if's for me.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• i wouldn't mind giving PJ3 a go. If he can handle the ball on the perimeter like durant and be able to score from anywhere on the floor then why the hell not. I just don't see the quickness but maybe its because he rarely is able to play on the perimeter.

Comment

• When AB isn't shooting the ball well I start wondering if we should go with a traditional power forward? I wonder how JV and Sullinger would look like in a year or two. Bring in a play maker and the team could be formidable.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        When AB isn't shooting the ball well I start wondering if we should go with a traditional power forward? I wonder how JV and Sullinger would look like in a year or two. Bring in a play maker and the team could be formidable.
                        Sullinger scares the hell out of me. If the Raptors were to go that route, I hope another PF is the one of choice.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Sullinger scares the hell out of me. If the Raptors were to go that route, I hope another PF is the one of choice.
                          Is it the concern over his height/weight? He's widely regarded as the best low post player in the draft. I wonder if Sullinger could be a David West or Z-Bo typle player that isn't the typical height of a PF, but effective. Sullinger is a good rebounder, isn't going to be pushed around in the paint and can score. Also, he would be playing along side a 7 footer in JV sort of like West with Hibbert and Z/Bo with Gasol.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            Is it the concern over his height/weight? He's widely regarded as the best low post player in the draft. I wonder if Sullinger could be a David West or Z-Bo typle player that isn't the typical height of a PF, but effective. Sullinger is a good rebounder, isn't going to be pushed around in the paint and can score. Also, he would be playing along side a 7 footer in JV sort of like West with Hibbert and Z/Bo with Gasol.
                            The height and weight is not much of a concern in terms of his game. The weight is a minor concern for the health of his knees long term - that is a lot of pounding from a young age. The major concerns for me is the poor play versus athletic long and/or 7 footers and against faster, smaller PF's.

I could very well be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. But as I said originally, Sullinger really does scare the hell out of me.

Comment

• Pj3

Here is a sample of Perry Jones ball handling which I think it actually really good, note that it is completely based on his ball handling skills and not scoring. Also read the description of the video.
                              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--20...dbKZotLlm8vLYF

Yahoo did a mock draft. How off base is this? Robinson at 8?
                                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Working...
                                X