2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
    and why are calderon's days likely numbered? because you say so?
    No, not because I say so. But because the rest of the basketball world says so.

Comment

• NBADraft.net currently has the Raptors taking Beal with the 6th pick (boooya!)

DraftExpress currently has the Raptors taking Sullinger with the 6th pick (booooo!)

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        NBADraft.net currently has the Raptors taking Beal with the 6th pick (boooya!)

DraftExpress currently has the Raptors taking Sullinger with the 6th pick (booooo!)
        And ESPN would have them picking Barnes (meeeeeh!)

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
          college stats are as reliable as walmart goods. For someone to carry over his college skills to the NBA it has to be 'freakish' and he needs good size. JJreddick is probably an exception because of his attitude and even he went lower in the draft. Freakish athleticism over meaningless college stats for me.
          I wouldn't say that Beal or Barnes' stats in college are meaningless, but I wasn't referring to the numbers they put up in college so much as the polish they have in their over all games. IMO they are both very complete players. And freakish athletecism or size deosn't always translate if you don't have game. Just ask Thabeet or Kwame Brown. Gerald Green who is now finding some success in New Jersey in his second or third stint in the NBA is a prime example of someone with freakish athletecism coming out of college that didn't have the skill to apply it in the NBA (not to mention he was a bit of a bone head) up until now.

Comment

• Here is a guy I wish was coming out, but one more year will serve him well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OxGoa2y24

Not that I think he is a top 5 player, just that he would be a great fit.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              Here is a guy I wish was coming out, but one more year will serve him well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OxGoa2y24

T-Rex arms, white boy version of Bayless, body wise.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                Here is a guy I wish was coming out, but one more year will serve him well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OxGoa2y24

I agree. Great all around game, a true point guard and solid on ball defender.

Comment

• By and large the number 1 spot we seem to want to draft based on need and what's available is a wing. Possibly a 2 but more likely a 3. The last person I remember that the raptors had on the wing for any amount of time and who actually seemed like a decent starter was Mo Pete.

I tried looking up what scouts were saying about him at the time but could only find the following

NBA Comparison: Bryon Russell

Strengths: Excellent athlete. Silky shot. Great hops. Has a flare for the dramatic as seen with his dunk over Ken Johnson. Showed great leadership leading the team to a strong start with Cleaves out early.

Weaknesses: Must improve his ball handling skills to play the 2. Ballhandling and passing need improvement. (Better shooter but less handles then Maggette.)
                  I was able to find out that we took him with the 21st overall selection in 2000, something I didn't know because I wasn't following drafts selections with the tenacity that I am now.

However, I found a NBA 2000 Draft re-mix where they had him as the 8th overall best pick of that draft.

Pick No. 8 | Cleveland Cavaliers
                  Actual Selection: Jamal Crawford
                  Draft 365 Remix: Morris Peterson (21)
                  Mo Pete had some real good years in Toronto, playing Robin to Vince Carter’s Batman. His career has been in steady decline since leaving T.O. though.
                  considering that mo pete was bumped up into the top ten (in what is considered a weak draft) he does seem to a good starting point for comparisons with other possible wings. For the record he was a senior coming off an NCAA Championship (which i did know because that was the first final four championship game that I watched).

I do feel like mo pete in his prime would be an upgrade over James Johnson. Would you be happy if we drafted a wing that had a reliable but unimpressive career?

I'd be curious to see what people have to say about a Barnes vs. Mo Pete, or an MKG vs. Mo Pete comparison.

I know that there isn't a lot to compare other than they play the same position, but I guess I'm curious about whether people think Barnes or MKG's floor is better or worse that Mo Pete in his prime.
                  Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu Apr 19, 2012, 12:20 PM.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• I don't know how i feel about Barnes. On one hand, he has clear faults in his game. On the other hand, i think a few of them are really blown up by the media. In general, the media loves to tear down a bluechip prospect who struggles. When you look at Barnes and read about his pros and cons one thing that really jumps out at me is he's basically a Rudy Gay clone in the sense that he's a lightning rod for all the same criticisms Gay was and it seems Barnes is going to fall in the draft much like Rudy did. Gay is/was more athletic than Barnes but Barnes is a far better shooter, not to mention more NBA ready. He certainly struggles to create his own shot, but so did Gay. Now look at Rudy, dude is the closer. Do i need to post the "rudy gay in toronto, raptors fan has meltdown" video?

I don't know i don't know i don't know.

I guess i feel like Barnes ceiling is higher than we might anticipate and floor isn't quite as deep, especially if you look at the "finished" product in 3 or 4 years.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Rivers is a guy i really don't particularly care for, HOWEVER, you can't really dispute what he can do because he already does it well, and that's shoot and create his own shot. He's a cocky little fucker but his crossover is already NBA ready and he can clearly shoot the lights out. Reminds me of Klay Thompson a lot, only with more attitude and a hell of a crossover. I know a lot of scouts view him as a top 5 talent whereas his personality rubs a lot the wrong way, myself included. Would Casey be able to curb it? Probably.

If we're picking 6-11 and he's there i think you have to seriously consider him.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• sorry my posts are really all over the place i just basically drank a big gulp of coffee
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• in the end, come draft night i think we'll (i'll) be able to talk ourselves into whoever they end up drafting. The team is in need of talent at virtually every position so while we might not like what happens today i'm sure we'll end up appreciating it tomorrow.

Except Drummond. Dude is 3-4 years away at least and i don't have that kind of patience.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            By and large the number 1 spot we seem to want to draft based on need and what's available is a wing. Possibly a 2 but more likely a 3. The last person I remember that the raptors had on the wing for any amount of time and who actually seemed like a decent starter was Mo Pete.

I tried looking up what scouts were saying about him at the time but could only find the following

I was able to find out that we took him with the 21st overall selection in 2000, something I didn't know because I wasn't following drafts selections with the tenacity that I am now.

However, I found a NBA 2000 Draft re-mix where they had him as the 8th overall best pick of that draft.

considering that mo pete was bumped up into the top ten (in what is considered a weak draft) he does seem to a good starting point for comparisons with other possible wings. For the record he was a senior coming off an NCAA Championship (which i did know because that was the first final four championship game that I watched).

I do feel like mo pete in his prime would be an upgrade over James Johnson. Would you be happy if we drafted a wing that had a reliable but unimpressive career?

I'd be curious to see what people have to say about a Barnes vs. Mo Pete, or an MKG vs. Mo Pete comparison.

I know that there isn't a lot to compare other than they play the same position, but I guess I'm curious about whether people think Barnes or MKG's floor is better or worse that Mo Pete in his prime.
                            Nice post and interesting site to take a look back at previous drafts and how they would rank now.

I think one thing to consider in doing the MKG/Barnes comarison with Mo Pete is that people are expecting the player we draft to play a much larger part on the team than Mo ever did (myself included). We're hoping for the player to be a leader, closer, and be the face of the franchise along with JV if he turns out to be half as good as what people here have been describing. Mo Pete had the advantage of being Robin, but we're looking for another Batman.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Nice post and interesting site to take a look back at previous drafts and how they would rank now.

I think one thing to consider in doing the MKG/Barnes comarison with Mo Pete is that people are expecting the player we draft to play a much larger part on the team than Mo ever did (myself included). We're hoping for the player to be a leader, closer, and be the face of the franchise along with JV if he turns out to be half as good as what people here have been describing. Mo Pete had the advantage of being Robin, but we're looking for another Batman.
                              For all the talk about the 2012 draft being deep, I think that aside from Davis (not immediately, but eventually), the draft is loaded with Robins, as opposed to Batmans. Much like past years (Oden/Durant, Rose, Griffin, Wall, Irving), the draft has only one surefire Batman, who can come in and immediately be an impact player, face of the franchise type guy. The depth in this year's draft, IMO, is that there are a solid 10-15 legit Robins.

I worry about fans putting Batman type expectation on any of the top players after Davis, be it MKG, Beal, Barnes, Robinson, Drummond, or whoever else.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post

I never had that expectation on anybody on this draft. I don't see any Batman's.
                                Personally I will be happy to get someone who will be as professional and competent as MoPete. Not wildly happy, but happy. He was an integral part of the best Raptors team to date. He was an important part of the team that made it all the way to the last game of the Semi-finals. This draft should be able to produce a better player, but drafting is a crap shoot. If MoPete is the lower end of possible, it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                                X