2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    You think that MKG could get an offensive board in the last 2 mins. of a game more so that Davis? Davis has a huge wing span in comparison and equal if not greater motor, but I don't think either is a closer which I beleive is the question. For the guys with the "best" chance at being a closer I would go with the following (not ranked in any order):

Lillard (ready now)
    Q. Miller (potential to be the best closer amongst first rounders)
    PJ3 & Barnes (Both have the body and tools to get their shot off over anyone, but need to develop better handles to break down the defender off dribble)
    Why is it that when it comes down to winning a game most will gravitate to the offensive maven with the nice jump shot. Period. Defense of the last shot is rarely mentioned as an equal determinant factor in a win. Imo MKG at this stage has more all around skills in ALL facets of the game than Davis or anyone. Ergo did you watch how easy it was to move/push AD away from the rim when he attempted his post moves? Is AD able to guard 3 positions including a speedy PG? That said AD down the road will/can be the more impactful player. His potential and ceiling is what insures his #1 status.

Actually if I remember correctly the question was about the 4th qtr. I thought the 2 min. point in a close game is more relevant especially since this is a severe deficiency of the Raps.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors fall in to the 7-8 slot - and assuming they keep the pick - Barnes would be a very nice consolation prize.
      If the Raptors draft in the 7-8 range, I have my doubts that Barnes would be available. I think that they'll be looking at one of the "question marks" in the draft. It seems to me that after the top 6, there are a lot of decent but not great players, and a bunch of others that are "boom or bust". So, if the Raptors win tonight, Colangelo is likely going to have his work cut out for him to get an important piece for the franchise in the upcoming draft. On the other hand, maybe the Raps get lucky and score a top-3 pick. Then, I think Beal or MKG could be high impact players for the Raptors into the future.

Comment

• Can't really stress trading up enough
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
          If the Raptors draft in the 7-8 range, I have my doubts that Barnes would be available. I think that they'll be looking at one of the "question marks" in the draft. It seems to me that after the top 6, there are a lot of decent but not great players, and a bunch of others that are "boom or bust". So, if the Raptors win tonight, Colangelo is likely going to have his work cut out for him to get an important piece for the franchise in the upcoming draft. On the other hand, maybe the Raps get lucky and score a top-3 pick. Then, I think Beal or MKG could be high impact players for the Raptors into the future.
          It all depends on how things shake out with workouts, interviews, team needs, and preferences. The top picks in my opinion would be (in no particular order - other than AD):

Davis
          Beal
          MKG
          Drummond
          Robinson
          Sullinger
          Barnes
          Perry Jones

I think it is possible Barnes is available at 7-8. But again, who knows at this time - 2 months to go.

Comment

It all depends on how things shake out with workouts, interviews, team needs, and preferences. The top picks in my opinion would be (in no particular order - other than AD):

Davis
            Beal
            MKG
            Drummond
            Robinson
            Sullinger
            Barnes
            Perry Jones

I think it is possible Barnes is available at 7-8. But again, who knows at this time - 2 months to go.
            You could be right. I am thinking that Sullinger's stock will take a dive by draft time.

In any case, unless the Raptors strike it rich in the lottery, I think that Barnes might be the best case scenario, which isn't all that bad, in my opinion.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
              You could be right. I am thinking that Sullinger's stock will take a dive by draft time.

In any case, unless the Raptors strike it rich in the lottery, I think that Barnes might be the best case scenario, which isn't all that bad, in my opinion.
              depending on where the bobcats draft i think they have a good chance of taking sullinger if they fall out of the top 3. i think biyombo is the best kind of partner to cover sullingers weaknesses

Comment

• Sullinger and Biyombo would give Charlotte a starting front court of two players listed at 6' 9". Not ideal for an NBA team.

Can anyone tell me what the lowest spot the Raptors could be drafting?

Comment

Sullinger and Biyombo would give Charlotte a starting front court of two players listed at 6' 9". Not ideal for an NBA team.

Can anyone tell me what the lowest spot the Raptors could be drafting?
                  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if we finish 7th last, we can't pick lower than 9th.

If we finish 8th last, we can't pick lower than 10th.

Since we finished tied with Golden State with 23 wins each, I'm not sure how the tie-breaker works for us.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if we finish 7th last, we can't pick lower than 9th.

If we finish 8th last, we can't pick lower than 10th.

Since we finished tied with Golden State with 23 wins each, I'm not sure how the tie-breaker works for us.
                    When teams are tied they basically share the balls that they would get in their positions. And a coin flip would determine who gets the extra ball.

So in a normal draft, the top eight teams would get these number of balls:

1) 250
                    2) 199
                    3) 156
                    4) 119
                    5) 88
                    6) 63
                    7) 43
                    8) 28

Three teams tied in different spots. So this is the number of balls each team will get:

Charlotte - 250
                    Washington - 199
                    NO - 137 (or 138)
                    Cleveland - 137 (or 138)
                    Sacramento - 75 (or 76)
                    NJ - 75 (or 76)
                    GSW - 35 (or 36)
                    Toronto - 35 (or 36)

Toronto could end up in 8th or 7th depending on if they win the coin flip but their probability to get in the top 3 will be very similar to GSW even if they lose the flip since they would only have one ball in difference.

If three teams outside of the top 8 get in the top 3 then that could bump Toronto to 11th (assuming GSW won the coin flip). At least that's how I understand the lottery. However the probability of getting the 11th pick according to the Draft Lottery Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery) is very close to 0%. Which means 8th, 9th or 10th (if GSW wins the coin flip).

Comment

• We could be picking as low as 10th? If we end up picking that low I would be up for picking a high risk high reward typle player....PJ3, Q. Miller, T. Jones would be good choices imo. Rivers might be a good pick here as well.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        When teams are tied they basically share the balls that they would get in their positions. And a coin flip would determine who gets the extra ball.

So in a normal draft, the top eight teams would get these number of balls:

1) 250
                        2) 199
                        3) 156
                        4) 119
                        5) 88
                        6) 63
                        7) 43
                        8) 28

Three teams tied in different spots. So this is the number of balls each team will get:

Charlotte - 250
                        Washington - 199
                        NO - 137 (or 138)
                        Cleveland - 137 (or 138)
                        Sacramento - 75 (or 76)
                        NJ - 75 (or 76)
                        GSW - 35 (or 36)
                        Toronto - 35 (or 36)

Toronto could end up in 8th or 7th depending on if they win the coin flip but their probability to get in the top 3 will be very similar to GSW even if they lose the flip since they would only have one ball in difference.

If three teams outside of the top 8 get in the top 3 then that could bump Toronto to 11th (assuming GSW won the coin flip). At least that's how I understand the lottery. However the probability of getting the 11th pick according to the Draft Lottery Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery) is very close to 0%. Which means 8th, 9th or 10th (if GSW wins the coin flip).
                        This is a very important post.

The only way Toronto slips past 8 is if:

- they lose the coin toss with the Warriors, AND
                        - 9/10/11/12/13/14 moves in to the top 3.

The odds of 9-14 moving in to the top 3 is very low - it is possible but low.

Raptor fans should be gearing up to pick 7 or 8 on lottery night.

Hopefully not laying a giant turd on the last 15 games of the season promotes some good karma come May 30.

Yes the Raptors sat key players but the guys who played attempted to win. I think this is another credit to Casey. He doesn't care who he has suited up, he is playing to win every night and he will get the most out of what he has.

NJ were dreadful last night. How many passes went in to the stands or in to the back court throughout the game?

Anyways, really glad the season is over.

Comment

• Time to put the lottery odds in perspective

Odds of Toronto picking top 3 (average of percentages for pick 7 and 8):
                          1 3.5%
                          2 4.1%
                          3 4.85%

Assuming Toronto does not pick top 3:

If Toronto wins the coin toss with Golden State they have:
                          59.9% chance of picking 7th
                          23.2% chance of picking 8th
                          1.8% chance of picking 9th

If Toronto loses the coin toss with Golden State they have:
                          72.4% chance of picking 8th
                          16.8 chance of picking 9th
                          0.8% chance of picking 10th
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Odds of Toronto picking top 3 (average of percentages for pick 7 and 8):
                            1 3.5%
                            2 4.1%
                            3 4.85%

Assuming Toronto does not pick top 3:

If Toronto wins the coin toss with Golden State they have:
                            59.9% chance of picking 7th
                            23.2% chance of picking 8th
                            1.8% chance of picking 9th

If Toronto loses the coin toss with Golden State they have:
                            72.4% chance of picking 8th
                            12.2% chance of picking 9th
                            0.4% chance of picking 10th
                            I know Tank Nation has been a contentious issue the last few weeks (with nobody believing/hoping Casey and/or players were actively tanking), but those odds make this season a little harder to deal with. I will throw up a little in my mouth if the Raps wind up picking in the #7-10 spot and don't come away with at least Barnes. What a wasted season it will have been... we as fans don't get rewarded with a potential franchise-changing draft pick and we sit through a horrendous season in which BC did absolutely nothing to improve the team (which I understand in the grand scheme of improving through the draft, ie: tanking). It's just so frustrating over the past few years this franchise has been been "rewarded" with a 9th pick, 13th pick and now a 7-11th pick... thank god we squeezed in the Valanciunas pick @ #5 last season to be a bit of a silver lining in an otherwise dark couple years.

Bring on May 30th and some divine intervention from the NBA draft lottery gods!

Comment

• How many ping pong balls do teams 9 though 14 have combined?

Comment

How many ping pong balls do teams 9 though 14 have combined?
                                Here is the number of balls teams 9-14 get:

9 - 17
                                10 - 11
                                12 - 7
                                13 - 6
                                14 - 5

That is a total of 46 balls (out of 1000).

Comment

Working...
                                X