Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors Select
    Perry Jones (Baylor)
    With Jonas Valanciunas on the way, the Raptors can afford to take a chance on a guy who can be a dynamic compliment to their roster. He think’s he’s a guard, and with the bigs on this roster to man the inside, why not give him a shot to flash that potential on the perimeter or use him as a stretch four? Jones has a tremendous ceiling to his game, and with no players on the board who can make this team an immediate contender, it’s time to take a shot on a guy who could be a big steal and player in the league.
    http://swishscout.com/?p=9142
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I have also been thinking about the draft lottery process and way to stop tanking, while also still helping the truly awful teams. Here's one pretty simple idea I had:

1st overall pick
      - all non playoff teams get equal 1/14 chance in a lottery

#2-#4 picks
      - a weighted lottery of all non-playoff teams (who didn't win the #1 overall pick), similar to the current lottery system

#5-14 picks
      - the last 10 lottery picks get assigned in reverse order of standings, similar to current system

#15-30 picks & 2nd round
      - all based on reverse order of standings, similar to current system

I think this would prevent tanking, since there is usually a consensus #1 and now the standings don't give any preference to particular teams, based on standings and a weighted lottery system. However, for the next 3 picks, there is still a weighted preference to the worst teams, under the assumption that the worst teams are truly the worst teams. I don't think teams would tank as deliberately, when doing so doesn't help them land the #1 overall pick. After that consensus #1, there is often discrepancy over who the BPA is and it often comes down to positional need as well.

I think this is a minor tweak that wouldn't mean a complete overhaul of the current system, but might very well at least somewhat discourage the outright tanking we saw from teams this year and in years past when there was a very clear cut consensus #1 player (ie: the LBJ draft year, the Oden/Durant draft year and the Griffin draft year).

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
        I would think that we're a little bit lucky it went to the west, less competition haha
        HAHAHA TRUE, you got me on that one

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        No it doesn't! need to stay weak so we can male the playoffs.
        LMAO I didn't think of it like that, you are correct, keep it weak...but then what about the finals, then the raptors will never win the championship if the West is always stronger

Comment

• Demar_8756 wrote: View Post
          HAHAHA TRUE, you got me on that one

LMAO I didn't think of it like that, you are correct, keep it weak...but then what about the finals, then the raptors will never win the championship if the West is always stronger
          Playoffs are all about match-ups
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Don't know where all this Waiters hype is coming from. He was the 4th best player on a very good team. Yes, he has an NBA body but he's still Jose's height. Even if the system limited his performance, no way he should be a top ten selection.
            So is Bradley Beal and everybody is all for him. If you ask anyone he was the best player on that Syracuse team. His the one who made all the plays at the end of the game. I still convince that he could be a point guard too but next year he'll better fit in that Barbosa role since Bayless doesn't want too. When he came off the bench he played both guard spots.

Unlike other 6th man he doesn't only look to pass as the last option. He goes with what the defense give him. That's why his such an efficient scorer too.

In the first video he say that he can play point guard. That he try to model his game to big guards like Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups. Also mentions that he excepts the back role and that it gives him an advantage
            http://search.espn.go.com/dion-waiters/video/6
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• @josemcalderon8

Good morning? #8 pick. What do you guys think? I feel good, great year ahead of us. No more lottery next year. Let's go Raptors!

https://twitter.com/#!/josemcalderon8
              Now that I saw this, I'm pretty hyped
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                So is Bradley Beal and everybody is all for him. If you ask anyone he was the best player on that Syracuse team. His the one who made all the plays at the end of the game. I still convince that he could be a point guard too but next year he'll better fit in that Barbosa role since Bayless doesn't want too. When he came off the bench he played both guard spots.

Unlike other 6th man he doesn't only look to pass as the last option. He goes with what the defense give him. That's why his such an efficient scorer too.

In the first video he say that he can play point guard. That he try to model his game to big guards like Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups. Also mentions that he excepts the back role and that it gives him an advantage
                You're seriously comparing Beal to Waiters? Seriously?

1/ Beal was clearly the best player and leader for Florida as a Freshman-- not a quality 6th man. Scoop Jardine led Syracuse for a reason, pretty much every major play started with the ball in his hands not Waiters.

2/ Waiters MIGHT be able to play PG, at the end of the season Florida's coach allowed Beal to run plays. In other words, it's not a maybe he CAN play the PG.

From Waiter's nbadraft.net profile:
                Weaknesses: He's clearly not a point guard,...
                That's not me, go have a look.

You can't seriously be comparing a workout stud like Waiters with a gamer like Beal. At no level has Waiters had the amount of success or responsibility that Beal has had. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Comment

• Words to take to remember

And one word of warning, and please take heed:

We are entering the age of disinformation; you’re going to hear all kinds of stuff about picks and favourites and who likes who and just remember this: Teams need to keep information to themselves and you need to always – always – ask who is best-served by stories attributed to “sources” and judge them accordingly.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...kes-sense.html
                  Good advice.

The prospects in the top5-10 that no one is talking about going to Toronto are likely to be the ones on their radar.

Comment

• PJ3 for me, most likely the top talent, fills a need, and you'd have to hope Dwayne Casey would help light a fire under him, so he can live up to the mass potential he has

Comment

• At #8, I like Terrence Jones and Kendall Marshall.

What I like even more is that the Blazers have the #6 pick, with the strong chance that Barnes is there.

The very unofficial, but relatively well-defined "top 6" is Davis, Beal, MKG, TRob, Drummond, and Barnes ... If Barnes is available at #6 - maybe Portland wants to trade back 2 picks, for the price of Ed Davis.
                      -Or, if they get a chance at Barnes and TAKE him ... that makes the RFA status on Batum look more approachable.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Beal, MKG or Barnes if they slip, otherwise Lamb. Perhaps they trade down a few spots to target Lillard, while picking up another minor asset (possibly upgrading their 2 2nd round picks for a late 1st or earlier 2nd). Or they trade the #8 pick for a proven asset like Rudy Gay.

I really don't see BC drafting a project or tweener. The only way he adds another young player is if they are a sure fire contributor at a set position next season.
                        From your mouth to God's ears.

Anyway, I still say we should trade the pick, but if we are talking about who we should select, you have to go with Perry Jones if he is available. His mix of body type and skills is just too interesting to pass up, and we need a 3.

Comment

• I can't say I'd be disappointed with either of the following:

- PJ3
                          - Terrence Jones
                          - Jeremy Lamb
                          - Damian Lillard
                          - Moe Harkless
                          - Kendall Marshall

I don't want to trade the pick, unless it brings us closer to Gay or Holiday.

Comment

• The gamble in me says take a chance on PJ3, that front court length would be similar to the Lakers when they had Odom.
                            I said length, not anything else, just length, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Comment

• I beleive that BC will do whatever is in his power to move up to get either Beal or Barnes by use of TPE, cap space, and personnel in a trade. Washington has a severe need to start winning in order to make John Wall happy in order to resign him. As good as Beal is I don't know if he would be enough to move them from bottom dweller in the east status. The best way for them to start winning is by being players in free agency and if BC perhaps offers to take on Rashard Lewis's contract (veteran shooter), along with some combintation of assets...just fishing for ideas here.

Portland also is a team that is not looking for a lengthy rebuilding process. Perhaps they would be a good partner for the Raptors to swap picks with.

If moving up is not a possibility I think they will pick a small forward and PJ3 is the best option of who will be left imo. At this point I don't think BC would be looking for a SG to replace DeMar unless it is a clear upgrade and I don't think that Lamb has shown he's thaaat much better.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                I beleive that BC will do whatever is in his power to move up to get either Beal or Barnes by use of TPE, cap space, and personnel in a trade. Washington has a severe need to start winning in order to make John Wall happy in order to resign him. As good as Beal is I don't know if he would be enough to move them from bottom dweller in the east status. The best way for them to start winning is by being players in free agency and if BC perhaps offers to take on Rashard Lewis's contract (veteran shooter), along with some combintation of assets...just fishing for ideas here.

Portland also is a team that is not looking for a lengthy rebuilding process. Perhaps they would be a good partner for the Raptors to swap picks with.

If moving up is not a possibility I think they will pick a small forward and PJ3 is the best option of who will be left imo. At this point I don't think BC would be looking for a SG to replace DeMar unless it is a clear upgrade and I don't think that Lamb has shown he's thaaat much better.
                                The things is, Colangelo is in "win now" mode as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X