No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listen, for a team like ours that needs talent at pretty much every position, you take what you get at #8 and be happy.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• terrence ross

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        there's starters to be had at #8, or at least future starters.
        Future starters. I personally don't think any player we draft will start next year.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ive done a complete 180 on Ross. he's #2 on my board.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• jenkins at the tail end of the first round REALLY interest me. i'd def package both second rounders to get at him.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'm not impressed with Ross at all. He's at the bottom of my list with Rivers and Sullinger.

Comment

• i think he's got all star potential and could very well be a top 3 player from this draft in 2 or 3 years.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  i think he's got all star potential and could very well be a top 3 player from this draft in 2 or 3 years.
                  I agree with the video's comparison....Nick Young (yawn).

Comment

• nah i watched young in college, he hasn't really changed that much. draftnet (i know, i know) compares him to Eddie Jones which i can totally see. Eddie Jones is one of the most underrated players to ever play.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• i don't get draftexpress comparing him to jason richardson at all, personally. its kind of bizarre.

he's basically what we all wish Demar would do. fantastic 3 pt shooter, excellent off screens and a great defender/rebounder.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Five undervalued players in NBA draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...ers-stock-rise

Hall of Fame football coach Bill Walsh used to say that there was no such thing as a bad draft if you owned draft picks. It was just a matter of drafting the right guy for the right role on a team.

Boston Celtics guard Avery Bradley, the No. 19 selection in the 2010 NBA draft, is a perfect example. After spending much of his rookie year in the D-League, he established himself this season as a defensive stopper in Boston before a season-ending injury. Looking back, the Celtics got great value out of Bradley for where he was selected, and much of it was based on the role he could fill if he developed.

Here are five guys in the 2012 NBA draft who might have more value to teams, for various reasons, than many think:

Terrence Ross, Washington Huskies

It's hard to imagine that a guy who will end up in the lottery is being undervalued, but the Huskies' Terrence Ross has been for much of the spring. The focus at shooting guard in this draft has been on bigger names from more high-profile programs -- no offense, Pac-12 -- like Bradley Beal, Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers. But Ross, who's 6-foot-7, has sneaked into the discussion since the end of the season.

That's a good thing, because although Ross, in my mind, will end up being more Robin than Batman -- a solid starter but not a star -- he has attributes that translate to getting on the court early in his NBA career. Like Lamb, Ross has prototypical NBA size and athleticism for a shooting guard. He can knock down shots in catch-and-shoot situations -- he shot 37 percent behind the college arc -- and can create a good shot on his own. He also uses his athleticism to rebound very well for a guard.

Where Ross' potential really excites me is on defense. The Washington coaching staff described him to me as a playmaking defender who had a knack for blocks, steals and stops at key points in games. His physical attributes combined with a good defensive IQ give him some advantages over others at his position. He could guard the best NBA perimeter scorers in time, and that should endear him to his future team.

Ross' 200-pound frame and Olive Oyl upper body are a concern, but that's not unusual for a young player. Ultimately, they should be rectified with time and maturity. When they do, Ross is likely to be in the league for a while.

Jared Cunningham, Oregon State Beavers

Jared Cunningham spent almost all of his three years as a Beaver at shooting guard, but he had the ball in his hands in most key situations for Craig Robinson's team. So, given his physical attributes, including excellent speed and quickness coupled with better-than-average court vision, I think the 6-4 guard could increase his value to teams that think he can make the transition to point guard.

Notably, Cunningham thrived in screen-and-roll situations and in transition, where he accounted for 1.3 points per possession as a passer. And he turned it over on just 6 percent of his transition possessions, according to Synergy Sports. In addition, his elite athleticism accounted for more than seven free throw attempts a game the past two seasons because he attacks the basket.

As a bonus, Cunningham is one of the best perimeter defenders in this draft. His combination of quickness and anticipation gives him a chance to contribute eventually as a defensive stopper.

So, where are the holes in his game? To make a smooth transition to playing, at least part-time at the point, he must tighten his ball handling. And, although his outside shot is not broken, he must improve on the 34 percent he shot beyond the arc this season. Finally, like a lot of players making the transition to the NBA, he must get physically stronger.

Considering this draft is devoid of great point guard prospects, Cunningham will be a nice gamble later in the first round. At worst, he'll be a secondary ball handler who can defend both guard positions. But I think he's better than that.

Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure Bonnies

Congratulations, Andrew Nicholson, you likely will go to a playoff team.

The 6-9 power forward is likely to be drafted in the last 10 picks of the first round and has the type of blue-collar game that will fit nicely with a winning, veteran team needing a young inside player to fill a role.

Nicholson, who has gained 50 pounds in four years at St. Bonaventure and has a 7-foot-1 wingspan, was the Atlantic 10's Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year this past season. He started his career as a rebounding, shot-blocking post player with a crafty "below the rim" game inside. Over four seasons, he gradually expanded his offensive arsenal.

Nicholson did not attempt a 3-point shot his first two years and went just 6-of-23 as a junior behind the arc. This season, 32 percent of Nicholson's shots were from the perimeter, and he nailed them at a 43 percent clip from the 3-point line. He thrived in the screen-and-roll with his ability to "pop" off screens, increasing his value to NBA teams.

If something keeps Nicholson out of the top half of the draft, it is his below-average athleticism. Fortunately, he possesses a high motor and is an extremely bright and mature guy. It makes him a good fit for a winning culture.

Royce White, Iowa State Cyclones

Royce White is unique in this draft because he is not only a physical freak with a 7-foot-1 wingspan but also a playmaker in a power forward's body. In fact, Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg used White's passing creativity by putting the ball in his hands frequently and was rewarded with an NCAA appearance for the Cyclones.

Although White's 35 percent assist rate belies a man of his size, don't discount him as a finesse player, because he's an excellent rebounder. He not only has a massive 6-8 and 260-pound body but also possesses enormous hands. He has the strength to guard most but not all NBA power forwards.

A major weakness in White's game is his shooting. Although he attempted just 12 3-point shots all season, making four of them, he is a woeful free throw shooter (49 percent). What makes that worse is that he gets fouled a lot. It is an area that might plague him without any improvement.

NBA teams will scrutinize some of White's past off-the-court issues, and he has been very open about his anxiety disorder he suffers from. If his one season in Ames is an indication, he handled himself well.

Ultimately, White's strengths will require a coach who is creative and doesn't box him into one position. His maneuverability with the ball and the spacing on offense in the NBA will make him a mismatch player on offense. There are enough other NBA qualities in his game that will make him a valuable commodity.

Moe Harkless, St. John's Red Storm

If an NBA team can wait for Harkless' offensive skills to catch up to his athletic ability -- and it may take a year or two -- it could have a special player.

Harkless has an NBA small forward's body but a power forward's game. He played this entire season at St. John's as a post player because of the young team's lack of depth. But his lack of ball skills and his poor outside shooting also necessitated it. In fact, he shot just 20 percent behind the arc on 80 attempts. His ability to beat people off the dribble, especially going left, was inadequate.

Still, Harkless has a knack for putting the ball in the basket, especially around the rim, and a corresponding nose for the ball on the glass. His 68 percent free throw percentage, while not great, is an indication that he could become a capable outside shooter in the NBA someday.

Ultimately, if Harkless continues to work on his offensive game on the perimeter, the future looks bright. When teams take into account that he plays with good energy, was very productive in his only college season and won't turn 20 years old until next May, his value should grow in the next few weeks. The lottery might be a stretch, but not by much.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Beal compares himself to Wade

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...is-Season-3944

JT: Is there any player you model yourself after in the NBA?

Bradley Beal: Shooting-wise, I'd say Ray Allen, but in terms of attacking the basket, I'd say D-Wade, because we're kind of the same height and he has a strong build and likes to get to the basket. I like to get to the basket similar to the way he does.

Comment

• tbh I think ross will be a 6th man of the year contender in the nba unless his offensive game is not good, not great, but absolutely insane. I will also add that alot of people are going to be on his highlight reel
                            Last edited by grindhouse; Tue Jun 5, 2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• If Quincy Miller can fully recover from his injury then i really like the idea of trading our pick for both of Houston's picks(14 and 16). With the 14th pick we grab Kendall Marshall and with the 16th pick we take quincy miller

Comment

• Interesting article about how Damian Lillard changed the fortunes of Weber State

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

Rahe said that Portland, which has the Nos. 6 and 11 picks, has been calling quite often. Utah, which doesn't have a first-round selection, would love to find a way to get involved. Rahe said he has talked to Cleveland, although the Cavaliers already have Kyrie Irving, so selecting Lillard may not make as much sense at No. 4, which is also deemed too high for Lillard to get drafted. Golden State, which has the No. 7 pick, has also called Rahe. That might be a starting point for him, but the latest team that Rahe has heard from is Toronto, which picks at No. 8.
                                "The thing about Damian is that he's obsessed with improving his weaknesses,'' Rahe said. "He's got such a great sense of his maturity. Every year, he would be in the gym and work on what his weaknesses were.
                                "He was a scorer when we got him, and he couldn't run off a stagger screen to catch and shoot it,'' Rahe said. "Then it was his middle game. That was important to him and [he] worked on that, too, as well as his pick-and-roll offense. He worked on all of that. He takes the weaknesses and becomes obsessed with it. He never thinks he's good enough. It drives him crazy.''
                                Man I love this dude. We did this kind of leadership and work ethic on this team.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X