2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quirk wrote: View Post
    Meh. If Barnes did fall, it would be ok to have him I suppose, but he doesn't look that great to me.

Damian Lillard and Terrence Jones seem the standout choices to me, looking at Win Shares, TS%, etc. Both seem like solid efficient players.

However since TJ is a combo forward, I'd be concerned about his ability to play SF full time. We already have two decent combo forwards in JJ and LK, so I'm not sure we need a third, especially given our glut at the 4.

So, I'm really liking Damian Lillard. Some say he's a bit like Bayless, but afaik Bayless was never as efficient as Lillard.

Beyond these two, I also like Terrence Ross, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones at least as much as Barnes.

I've got Barnes at the same level as Jeremy Lamb, Harkless, Waiters and Marshall, so my big board for the 8th pick would be:
    when we dropped to 8, i became a tjones man. but if barnes is up at 8 we have to take him. i do think that tjones has the speed to play the 3 in the nba and he definitely has the size.

Comment

• http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/...source=twitter

Sam Amick at SI.com is reporting his 'sources' are saying Cleveland is very likely to take Barnes at 4.

If Barnes goes at 4, I can very easily see Beal slip to 8 as Sacramento has a surplus of 2's, Portland has a real need for a C and PG, Golden State has a surplus of 2's..... and then there is Toronto.

Regarding DeRozan, I think he could be moved to SF or traded. Might not be a popular opinion but I think Beal (or Lamb for that matter) is a better prospect at the 2 than DeRozan.

A big knock on Beal is his low 3 point % this year for a supposed shooter. This is addressed in an interview with DraftExpress:

JT: You mentioned your shooting. You came into college known as an elite-level shooter and your numbers this past year weren't reflective of that (33.9% from three-point range). Do you think you're a better shooter than the numbers suggest?

Bradley Beal: Oh yeah, I'm a much better shooter than what I showed this season. There were some games where I really had struggles, but at the end of the year, in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament, I shot like 43% from three [editor's note: this is an accurate statistic], so I really shot better towards the end of the season than I did in the beginning of the season. I think it was mainly my focus that was off. I worked through a lot of adversity and things like that, and it really hit me, and I was able to talk to coach Donovan and he got me back on the right path and had me stay in the gym and kept working on it, and it came at the end of the year.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1x1UWaWCY
      http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

• Couldn't Charlotte or Washington use a SG?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Couldn't Charlotte or Washington use a SG?
          Riiiiight. I forgot about them momentarily.

I think Charlotte goes with Robinson because they have Henderson already.

I think Washington takes MKG with the John Wall-Kentucky connection. Plus, MKG really would fill a need with Jordan Crawford at SG. Vesely/Singleton would probably get some burn at backup SF/PF and Nene mans the middle.

So maybe I should rephrase the original post as, "If Beal gets past Cleveland at 4, there is a strong possibility he slips to Toronto at 8."

Comment

• I like your train of thought Matt, but you know that would mean those teams ahead of us would be drafting based on need and not based on the best player available. I beleive there have been several threads dedicated to whether we should draft based on need or for the bpa and more times than not it's overwhelmingly thought of that teams should always take the bpa (not me personally). I can see one or maybe two teams ahead of us drafting based on need, but not all. I would be really surprised if Beal falls to us at 8. In fact I'd print this message out and eat it and if Beal did fall to us I'd be happy to eat it. And if for some reason we passed on Beal I'd lose my mind...like the Shining lose my mind.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I like your train of thought Matt, but you know that would mean those teams ahead of us would be drafting based on need and not based on the best player available. I beleive there have been several threads dedicated to whether we should draft based on need or for the bpa and more times than not it's overwhelmingly thought of that teams should always take the bpa (not me personally). I can see one or maybe two teams ahead of us drafting based on need, but not all. I would be really surprised if Beal falls to us at 8. In fact I'd print this message out and eat it and if Beal did fall to us I'd be happy to eat it. And if for some reason we passed on Beal I'd lose my mind...like the Shining lose my mind.
              They could be drafting based on need or best player available. It depends on what their evaluations tell them. Many feel Drummond is #2 or Robinson or MKG. You know what I mean?

But no doubt the scenario I laid out was based on team's needs. If their evaluations show the best players fit the team need as well, all the better for the 'Beal Slope of Hope!'

Comment

• At this point I think Lillard is the way to go. If MKG, Barnes, and Beal are off the board, he's my selection. Just because he can score doesn't mean he is another Bayless. If he can show good point guard skills in workouts I think it would be good to fill the PG position well we have Calderon to tutor.

I would prefer to trade up, but I think the cost will be to high to do so.

If Lillard doesn't impress I would entertain trading back to grab with Houston to grab two prospects. There seems to some depth in the late teens. Marshall, Rivers, Harkless, T.Jones, Ross, Waiters and Quincy Miller could all be there...depending on which mock you are currently looking at.

It's an odd draft year, there are many players that will be drafted from 10-20 that could turn out better than top 10's, or even better than top 5's.
                Last edited by saints91; Wed Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/...source=twitter

Sam Amick at SI.com is reporting his 'sources' are saying Cleveland is very likely to take Barnes at 4.

If Barnes goes at 4, I can very easily see Beal slip to 8 as Sacramento has a surplus of 2's, Portland has a real need for a C and PG, Golden State has a surplus of 2's..... and then there is Toronto.

Regarding DeRozan, I think he could be moved to SF or traded. Might not be a popular opinion but I think Beal (or Lamb for that matter) is a better prospect at the 2 than DeRozan.

A big knock on Beal is his low 3 point % this year for a supposed shooter. This is addressed in an interview with DraftExpress:
                  I quite like the thought of Gay/Beal on the wing for years to come... in a lineup of Valanciunas, Bargnani, Gay, Beal and yet-to-be-determined pass-first-PG-of-the-future!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I quite like the thought of Gay/Beal on the wing for years to come... in a lineup of Valanciunas, Bargnani, Gay, Beal and yet-to-be-determined pass-first-PG-of-the-future!
                    If I was Bryan and I hear Beal's name being called before the 8th pick is announced.. I'm on the phone with Heisley/Wallace and would try to move that pick for Gay. I don't see us having both Beal and Gay since the 8th pick would be the key asset going back to Memphis in any Gay deal.

Comment

• Having Gay AND Beal/Lillard/Ross is a dream come true.

Thus it will never happen.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Can anyone confirm if the Chicago combines start today? I would have thought there would be more buzz about which players are impressing the scouts.

Comment

• Hadn't heard anything
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            Can anyone confirm if the Chicago combines start today? I would have thought there would be more buzz about which players are impressing the scouts.
                            http://www.hoopsworld.com/key-nba-dates
                            2011-2012 KEY NBA DATES
                            March 15 Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET)
                            March 23 Waiver deadline for Playoff eligibility
                            April 11– 14 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (Portsmouth, VA)
                            April 26 Regular Season ends
                            April 27 Rosters set for 2012 NBA Playoffs, 3 p.m. ET
                            April 28 2012 NBA Playoffs begin
                            April 29 NBA Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
                            May 14-15 Conference Semifinals begin (possible move up to May 12 or 13)
                            May 28-29 Conference Finals begin (possible move up to May 26 or 27)
                            May 30 2012 NBA Draft Lottery
                            June 6-10 2012 NBA Draft Combine {Media Availability on June 7, 8} (Chicago)
                            June 12 2012 NBA Finals begin (possible move up to June 10)
                            June 18 NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 p.m. ET)
                            June 26 Last Possible Date for The Finals
                            June 28 2012 NBA Draft
                            July 1-10 2012 Moratorium Period
                            July 11 NBA Teams May Begin Signing Free Agents
                            July 13-22 2012 Las Vegas Summer League
                            July 27 – August 12 2012 Summer Olympics (London, England)

Comment

• Ford's thoughts on PJ3

More from today's chat with Chad Ford:

T (Boston)

I understand Perry Jones seems to be fitting in better at the 3 during workouts. Is this his long-term position or just until he gets stronger?

Chad Ford
                              (1:25 PM)

Ideally he's a four. However, you have to factor in what the player believes he is. Jones doesn't like contact and doesn't like to play in the paint. He not only sees himself as three ... that's what he wants to be. If you want a motivated PJIII -- I think a team drafts him knowing that's what he'll be.

Comment

• Thanks, I guess not allowing media until tomorrow would explain why there is such little buzz. Can't wait for the tweets tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X