2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    That list sounds pretty much like everyone that has been associated with the Raptors according to scouts and media..perhaps only Lamb was left out. I would put Rivers before Sullinger on the list purely because of need, but the rest of your order I agree with. I didn't think Sullinger was a player the Raptors are considering, but if he were to be the pick then Ed or Amir would likely be on the move as part of a trade. I'd welcome a low post scoring threat. If Sullinger can stay healthy a tandem with JV would be a traditional front court to build around.
    If this is the list, I'm not sure how Bryan would rank them. But I can see all of these guys except for maybe Barnes being available at 8. It would be interesting which direction he goes since each guy listed plays a different position (well except Waiters and Rivers I guess).

I found it interesting that neither PJ3, Lamb or Marshall were mentioned.. but Bryan likes keeping his cards very close to his chest.

Comment

• I hate Doug Smith
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I think BC doesn't want to take chances with this pick being this is the last year of his contract. He wants the safe pick that will be good for sure, but maybe not great. Thus PJ3 might be off his big board. Lamb I would have thought is a safe pick, but with recent articles pointing out how poor of a 3 point shooter he actually was and there being question about his heart/motor perhaps Lamb is also off BC's list as well. Marshall doesn't bring the scoring which the Raptors are looking for, but could be a big mistake passing up on in 3 years. Pure point guards don't come by every draft.

Comment

• i think it's Waiters if he wants the pick that'll make the most impact early
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            i think it's Waiters if he wants the pick that'll make the most impact early
            I tend to agree. Others that might make an impact early might be Lillard, Terrence Jones and Austin Rivers. I think that Lillard would contribute some quality minutes in his first year due to his age and maturity. Jones is actually a very good facilitator in a team setting, and is a good passer, rebounder and shot-blocker. I think that Rivers will be able to get his offence in the NBA quite early. A longer term prospect would be Harkless, though he might have more upside than any.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              What does "their game was not made for the collegiate level" mean? It seems to me like agent spin for "never mind they played not terribly well in college...he will be fine when he gets with the big boys". What is it exactly about the college game that did not suit them...one ball, 5 guys, basket 10 ft. high? I have never heard this term in any other sport even football where size and height and even style of game can be/are large differences between the college and pro leagues.
              I think officiating has a lot to do with it. The NBA is much more cognizant of hand-checking, and lane-clogging. Speedy, perimeter players can seemingly play to their strengths in the NBA.

Comment

• i see rivers as klay thompson with better handles, which is a good thing.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• If we could upgrade our SG position I would be behind T. Jones at the SF, but he can't create his own shot, so I think whomever the Raptors pick at 8th has to be able to come in and score from pretty much day one. Waiters and Lillard seem to be the best suited to do that of the players likely available with the 8th pick. I'm sure that will change as we get a closer look at the players the Raptors have invited to private workouts with the team over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    i see rivers as klay thompson with better handles, which is a good thing.
                    Thompson is taller and longer, but Rivers is a better athlete with a much better first step (along with great handles). Rivers will penetrate much better than Thompson, I think.

If Colangelo is looking for perimeter scoring, then Rivers or Waiters offer that almost right away, I think.

If Colangelo really likes Sullinger, then I wonder whether he might consider moving Bargnani for a dynamic perimeter player. If he wants to start young, perhaps moving Bargnani for a top-five pick, targeting MKG, Beal or Barnes.

Calderon / DeRozan / MKG / Sullinger / JV

That line-up loses a lot in the first year or two, but has some potential.

Comment

• i don't think i'd call waiters a perimeter scorer, he seems to make his living close to the hoop. think wade in his first couple years.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• i like tjones fine but there's a bunch of better players that should be available. i wouldn't take him in the lottery at all, personally.

that said, i have a feeling if the warriors don't trade their pick they'll take a long look at him.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• actually if im the warriors i take Zellers or Moultrie since god knows bogut will never play a full season
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'm not high on Waiters at all. Do we really want to waste a lotto pick on Rodney Stuckey (bast case scenario)?

Comment

• i don't really see waiters as a pg.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                I'm not high on Waiters at all. Do we really want to waste a lotto pick on Rodney Stuckey (bast case scenario)?
                                I don't think he will be as good as Stuckey....I think if Stuckey was our full time starting 2 guard he would be better than DeMar on our current team.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X