No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot people are really high on Austin Rivers on how he interviewed and how he wants to be here. I just don't like ball dominant shooting guards. That's what I feel like Rivers is. This is why I prefer Jeremy Lamb he knows how to play off the ball but can attack off the dribble too. He fits mold of shooters that Casey wanted. If you think about it after the top 7 his the best talent on the board.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Damian Lillard has another great workout in Portland Every where he goes, everybody says his a lights out shooter.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/tbtv/video.html?videoID=3784

this one is a bit long
      http://www.nba.com/blazers/tbtv/video.html?videoID=3782
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• He did say he compares himself to George Hill. Hopefully, it will throw some GM's off who are drafting before us.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
          He did say he compares himself to George Hill. Hopefully, it will throw some GM's off who are drafting before us.
          He meant that he could be George Hill in his rookie year. He definitely believe that he'll improve but, right now he feels he could bring what Hill does right now.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I don't expect Lillard to be as good as George Hill. George Hill has a track record as a NBA point guard on two very good teams. No knock on Lillard, but all we can go by is what he has done in 3 years at Weber State. What other players have come out of the Big Sky Conference recently? It's hard to project all star status from his going up against competition that was below mid major level.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              I don't expect Lillard to be as good as George Hill. George Hill has a track record as a NBA point guard on two very good teams. No knock on Lillard, but all we can go by is what he has done in 3 years at Weber State. What other players have come out of the Big Sky Conference recently? It's hard to project all star status from his going up against competition that was below mid major level.
              Have you heard of WAC (Western Athletic Conference)? And Fresno State? Arguably as weak as Lillard's institutions. Recently, Paul George drafted 10th was from there. Talent is talent. There have been many who went to small/obscure schools (how about high schools) who went on to have great careers. If one can make an assessment of a high schooler (Kobe, Chandler etc) certainly a Lillard should be easier.

Comment

• If the Raptors are to keep the draft pick, ideally, I would want someone who can create his own shot.

Three people come to mind.

Lillard
                Waiters
                Rivers

Of the 3, I really like Damian Lillard. There's no doubt he can score. But as a point guard, can he really be a shot creator for others? Does he have the ability to penetrate at will against elite competition? Does he have the defensive focus and ability to handle Westbrook, Parker, Rondo, DWill, CP3, John Wall, Kyrie, Brandon Knight, etc. the list goes on.

Waiters is another intriguing prospect. I see a resemblance of Wade with his moves, but he doesn't have the athleticism of Wade. Also, he is a streaky shooter and I have doubts with his defense, especially coming from Syracuse. Melo? Wes Johnson? Johnny Flynn?

Rivers has a dirty cross-over from right to left. No doubt he can be like a Jamal Crawford. Same concerns. Defense & his tunnel vision. He doesn't like to pass it seems.

If we were to keep Bayless which the concensus is (no way), although I can argue that he's good enough to remain a Raptor; but that's another story. Anyway, if we can keep Bayless, or should I say, if we keep Bayless, I wouldn't mind drafting either Waiters or Austin River, with preference to Waiters. I think that the backcourt of Bayless and (either 1), plus Kleiza, Ed/Amir & a center who can set screens and do his dirty work (if we choose to let go of either Ed/Amir) would be a very good bench squad.

Then there's the starting line-up we need to address. But that's for another thread.
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Of those 3:

Lillard
                  Waiters
                  Rivers

I'd say Waiters then Rivers, then Lillard is the order for whom can best get their own shot off. Lillard is a great shooter, but I don't know if he can break a guy down in an iso and take it to the hoop at the NBA level. Lillard is also the oldest of the 3 and most experienced, thus closer to his ceiling.

I'm not too concerned about a guy that is a streaky shooter coming into the league because once they go pro and are doing this for a living they'll get plenty of practice and coaching on how to shoot and should improve. Of course if they are aweful shooters no number of reps will help them. I'm just looking to see who has a good mix of developed skill, god given talent/athletecism, and basketball IQ. All three seem to have it in abundance with Rivers giving me the most pause, but he has drive which is a great intangible. Only thing missing with that kid is physical maturity. He could be a top 3 or 4 player when all is said and done.

Comment

• I should say to clarify that I think Rivers could be a top 3 or 4 player from this draft when all is said and done.

Comment

• I agree with that top 3 if Barnes is off the board. For me it would be Lillard, cause this point guard of the future needs to be settled. Waiters would be my second choice proven off the bench efficient scorer and has PG potential too. I would put Lamb B4 rivers. I don't like how Rivers is so ball dominant. He can't play without the ball in his hands.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        I agree with that top 3 if Barnes is off the board. For me it would be Lillard, cause this point guard of the future needs to be settled. Waiters would be my second choice proven off the bench efficient scorer and has PG potential too. I would put Lamb B4 rivers. I don't like how Rivers is so ball dominant. He can't play without the ball in his hands.
                        I don't like that about Rivers either.. and Lamb is just way to relaxed for my liking.. it sucks but I think I'd rather take Sullinger over both Rivers and Lamb at this point.

Assuming the top 7 goes the way I'm dreading.. then for #8 I might actually take Sullinger. We don't need another PF obviously, but Sullinger would be a good backup PF if we can trade both Amir and Ed. I also do think that Sullinger would make a good trade asset.. better than Lamb, possibly better than Rivers, and he might just be the BPA at #8.

Waiters may be a good pick as well at #8. His game just doesn't excite me enough though.. maybe I need to watch some more of his highlights.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I don't like that about Rivers either.. and Lamb is just way to relaxed for my liking.. it sucks but I think I'd rather take Sullinger over both Rivers and Lamb at this point.

Assuming the top 7 goes the way I'm dreading.. then for #8 I might actually take Sullinger. We don't need another PF obviously, but Sullinger would be a good backup PF if we can trade both Amir and Ed. I also do think that Sullinger would make a good trade asset.. better than Lamb, possibly better than Rivers, and he might just be the BPA at #8.

Waiters may be a good pick as well at #8. His game just doesn't excite me enough though.. maybe I need to watch some more of his highlights.
                          Dion Waiters game isn't flashy. It's strong, rugged and tough. If your looking for flashy and excitement your not going to find it there.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I like Lillard with the 8th pick as well, though I think Waiters may have a better over all career. However I just don't see how Waiters fits on the Raptors if he can't play point guard and DeMar manning the Shooting Guard spot. Moving DD to SF full time isn't an option in my opinion. Also think Lillard brings much better and consistent shooting.

I actually like Rivers ahead of Lamb but that is based on a gut feeling that Rivers will transition to the NBA game very well. He is a ball hog, but Casey will straighten him out pretty quickly I think.

Comment

• I don't think Lamb is in the mix at all. Remember when Casey talked about how important motor is?

A lot can change but I think the raps big board looks like:

Barnes
                              Lillard
                              Waiters

And if they trade down a couple spots:
                              Rivers
                              Harkless
                              Ross
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• The only guys I'm willing to draft are Lillard and PJ3 (in that order). Assuming Barnes doesn't fall to us, I'm not interested in anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X