2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiers

Chard Ford's Tier system http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...prospects-tier

Every time I put up a new mock draft (Mock Draft 8.2 was updated on Thursday), I get a lot of feedback from readers who wonder how I put it together and how it differs from the Top 100.

This is how it works: Both pieces are reported. In other words, I talk with NBA scouts and executives to get a sense of:

A. Which teams like which players (mock draft).

B. What the consensus is among all 30 NBA teams about who the best players in the draft are (Top 100).

I use the word "consensus" lightly. Often, even GMs and scouts employed by the same team can't agree on rankings of players. As hard as it is for NBA draftniks to believe, there is very little consensus within teams, let alone between them, on draft night.

Obviously, the draft is an inexact science. NBA teams watch prospects play thousands of hours of games. They go to practice. They go to camps. They work out players, give them psychological tests, do background checks and conduct personal interviews. All of this factors into the process and can change opinions.

Factor in the ranking wars with another age-old debate -- do you draft for need or for the best player available? -- and it's no surprise the draft can be so volatile. Many teams take into account holes at certain positions (i.e., the team has no small forward) or coaching/system preferences (i.e., the Spurs draft players who can fit into coach Gregg Popovich's system) when making their decisions.

To make sense of disparate rankings and debates over team needs, the past few years I've chronicled a draft ranking system employed by several teams that have been very successful in the draft, what I call a tier system. Instead of developing an exact order from one to 60 of the best players in the draft, these teams group players, based on overall talent, into tiers. Then, the teams rank the players in each tier based on team need.

This system allows teams to draft not only the best player available, but also the player who best fits a team's individual needs.

So what do the tiers look like this year? After talking to several GMs and scouts whose teams employ this system, I put together these tiers. (Because the teams do not want to divulge their draft rankings publicly, the teams will remain anonymous.)

(Note: Players are listed alphabetically in each tier.)

Tier 1
    Anthony Davis
    Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are sure-fire All-Stars/franchise players. Last year, we didn't have anyone here. In 2010, John Wall was the only guy in this tier. In 2009, Blake Griffin was the only one. This year Davis is the only player in the draft to get the nod.

Tier 2
    Harrison Barnes
    Bradley Beal
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Thomas Robinson
    Note: Tier 2 is reserved for players who are likely locks for the top half of the lottery and are projected as either very good starters or potential All-Stars by scouts. Robinson, Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist got the nod for Tier 2 from every GM I spoke with. Barnes, who has been rising on draft boards the past few weeks after some stellar athletic testing numbers at the NBA combine, was on 75 percent of the lists.

Tier 3
    Andre Drummond
    Damian Lillard
    Dion Waiters
    Note: This is a smaller than usual Tier 3. These are the only three players (outside of the five mentioned already) that were consensus top-10 picks among the GMs I spoke with. Of the group, Drummond and Lillard had every vote. Waiters was on most of the ballots. Drummond is the toughest guy to peg. One team has him No. 2 on their draft board. Others are much more nervous about him and see a high bust potential. He barely missed the Tier 2 cut. Interestingly, a few teams had Waiters in Tier 2, while a few teams had him in Tier 4. That's a pretty big spread.

Mark Dolejs/US Presswire
    Teams disagree on where Austin Rivers should be taken in the draft.
    Tier 4
    John Henson
    Perry Jones III
    Terrence Jones
    Jeremy Lamb
    Meyers Leonard
    Kendall Marshall
    Austin Rivers
    Terrence Ross
    Jared Sullinger
    Tyler Zeller
    Note: After Tier 3, it's very difficult to find a real consensus here. There are 10 players here for a total of five spots left in the lottery. A few players, like Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers, got a few votes in Tier 3. A few others, like Kendall Marshall, got some Tier 5 votes. But in general, this group makes up the 10-20 range of the draft. (We should note that I received some of these responses before GMs had a chance to review Sullinger's physical. He is in Tier 5 on some teams' boards now.)

Tier 5
    Moe Harkless
    Fab Melo
    Quincy Miller
    Arnett Moultrie
    Andrew Nicholson
    Marquis Teague
    Royce White
    Tony Wroten Jr.
    Note: This next group looks like locks for the first round, but most likely won't make the lottery. A few teams had Harkless, Melo and Moultrie in Tier 4, but not quite enough for them to make the cut. Wroten and Miller were borderline picks here. Both players dropped out of the top 30 on at least one NBA team's draft board.

Tier 6
    Furkan Aldemir
    Will Barton
    Jared Cunningham
    Festus Ezeli
    Evan Fournier
    Draymond Green
    John Jenkins
    Orlando Johnson
    Doron Lamb
    Kyle O'Quinn
    Kostas Papanikolaou
    Miles Plumlee
    Jeff Taylor
    Tyshawn Taylor
    Note: This is what I would call the first-round bubble group and where the consensus really started to break down. A few teams had Fournier, Green, Jeff Taylor and Barton in Tier 5, but many did not. Overall there are just four spaces left in the first round ... so most of the players on this list are falling to the second round.

So how does the tier system work?

A team ranks players in each tier according to team need. So, in Tier 3, if shooting guard is the biggest need, a player like Rivers or Ross is ranked No. 1. If center is the biggest need, Leonard or Zeller is ranked No. 1.

The rules are pretty simple. You always draft the highest-ranked player in a given tier. Also, you never take a player from a lower tier if one from a higher tier is available. So, for example, if the Pistons are drafting No. 9 (Tier 3 territory) and Damian Lillard (a Tier 3 player) is on the board, they take him regardless of positional need. If they have Meyers Leonard ranked No. 1 in Tier 4, they still take Lillard even though center is a more pressing need.

This system protects teams from overreaching based on team need. The Pistons won't pass on a clearly superior player like Waiters to fill a need with Perry Jones. However, the system also protects a team from passing on a player who fits a need just because he might be ranked one or two spots lower overall.

The Pistons actually followed this model last year at the draft. While the consensus was they needed a big, when Brandon Knight, who they had ranked in a higher tier fell, they took him anyway.

My all-time favorite historical example is from the Atlanta Hawks. GM Billy Knight took Marvin Williams ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams in 2005, and Shelden Williams ahead of a guards such as Brandon Roy and Rajon Rondo in 2006 because of positional needs.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool of gauging which players a team should draft.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. I have been feeling a bit better about the Raptors' draft prospects since Waiters has shot up in draft rankings. It looks like there are 8 or 9 players in the top 3 tiers (based on this system). At worst, it looks like the Raptors will have a shot at Lillard, Waiters or Drummond. If they really like Lamb or Rivers, they might be options too.

Comment

• something tells me Barnes or even MKG could tumble to us if Drummond goes in the 5/6 range

edit: wait nm GS will nab them THOSE WHORES
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• We really shot ourselves in the ass the first week of April....3 straight wins...what were they thinking? This just makes me want to start the "Tanking" thread debate again. When you're this close to being really bad, what's the harm in being a little worse? Just a couple more losses and it could have been the difference between picking from Beal, Barnes or MKG and Waiters, Lillard & Lamb and theres a good chance we may not even get our choice of those 3. Fuck you first week of April!!!

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            We really shot ourselves in the ass the first week of April....3 straight wins...what were they thinking? This just makes me want to start the "Tanking" thread debate again. When you're this close to being really bad, what's the harm in being a little worse? Just a couple more losses and it could have been the difference between picking from Beal, Barnes or MKG and Waiters, Lillard & Lamb and theres a good chance we may not even get our choice of those 3. Fuck you first week of April!!!
            If we lost those three games, there is a realistic chance that we would have ended up in 4th.. the same spot NO was in when they won the lottery. So it's a HUGE bummer.

This was our chance to really tank (shortened season, rookie in Europe, best player injured), and we failed at it. Oh well.. can't do anything about it now.

The draft is a crapshoot.. and there is a good chance that the guys drafted in 2-6 are just as good as the guys drafted in 7-10 (at least that's my hope).

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
              Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. I have been feeling a bit better about the Raptors' draft prospects since Waiters has shot up in draft rankings. It looks like there are 8 or 9 players in the top 3 tiers (based on this system). At worst, it looks like the Raptors will have a shot at Lillard, Waiters or Drummond. If they really like Lamb or Rivers, they might be options too.
              Things could get really interesting if a player like Drummond drops to 8. Although he may be in tier-4 and low down on Toronto's positional need (due to Valanciunas coming in), the Raps could get quite a bit in trade from a team that has him ranked high up on their draft board. Remember, when it comes to making a trade, it doesn't matter what we think of the player we're giving up, but only what the trade partner thinks of him. I think the Raps could fetch quite a haul for Drummond in trade.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                I agree, the Raptors will stink. Jonas probably won't come this season and so next season the Raptors will have essentially added to high tier rookie talents in 2012. I'm thinking the 2012/2013 season is where you see the team take an exciting step forward.
                With some financial flexibility and a reasonably good pick, our Raps are in a good position to be a drastically improved team. Brian C has shown in the past that he is a creative and shrewd GM. He has given us reason to believe that he is capable of building a winner. Is he going to build a Champion? Of course not. This is only the first step. I believe though that the Raps are not going to suck. All this being said, I hope they don't cripple themselves financially by signing players to ridiculously lengthy deals.

There's every reason to be optimistic my friends. Looking forward.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• wait, big Val isn't coming over now?!
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    wait, big Val isn't coming over now?!
                    I think the post quoted from Apollo was really old, referring to the season that just ended. Hence his statement "essentially added two high tier rookie talents in 2012", referring to Valanciunas and whoever is drafted in the upcoming draft.

EDIT: The Apollo post quoted in #3622 was post #2 of this thread, from June of 2011.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 22, 2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• did Eric just wake up from a coma?
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• [QUOTE=CalgaryRapsFan;135941]

Perhaps the Raptors make a deal with Houston, along these lines:
                        To Houston - #8 & #37 and/or #56
                        To Toronto - Lowry & #14

-This would be very interesting. At 14 take SG or SF project (T Ross, Harness, Waiters...).
                        -Maybe use Jose (or even better Bayless S/T) to pick up solid SF (W Chandler?).
                        -Another possibility with PG solid-Go after Batum or J Green or AK47. Thoughts?

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          This is what I think as well. While SF is a concern for GS, Dorell Wright does some things well enough to not make it a priority, he does not turn the ball over and can make the pocket 3 ball at a good clip, he also has good size. GS has Richard Jefferson, and Clay Thompson can get some burn at the 3 as well. Players like John Henson, Sulinger, Zeller and even Drumond could be considered by them.
                          -Considering how unstable/fragile their 4s & 5s are, big is the ONLY option.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            If we lost those three games, there is a realistic chance that we would have ended up in 4th.. the same spot NO was in when they won the lottery. So it's a HUGE bummer.

This was our chance to really tank (shortened season, rookie in Europe, best player injured), and we failed at it. Oh well.. can't do anything about it now.

The draft is a crapshoot.. and there is a good chance that the guys drafted in 2-6 are just as good as the guys drafted in 7-10 (at least that's my hope).
                            Don't "fret" things you cannot change. Lets put all our brains together & help that poor bastard BC make a right pick.

Comment

• Mapko wrote: View Post

Perhaps the Raptors make a deal with Houston, along these lines:
                              To Houston - #8 & #37 and/or #56
                              To Toronto - Lowry & #14

-This would be very interesting. At 14 take SG or SF project (T Ross, Harness, Waiters...).
                              -Maybe use Jose (or even better Bayless S/T) to pick up solid SF (W Chandler?).
                              -Another possibility with PG solid-Go after Batum or J Green or AK47. Thoughts?
                              A deal with Houston could be a relatively small one, or could expand to become quite a big trade, potentially addressing multiple needs for both teams.

TO HOUSTON
                              - Calderon --> a veteran PG to pair with Dragic, or as insurance in case Dragic walks
                              - #8 pick --> likely would be used to draft Drummond, if available
                              - #56 pick
                              - 2013 top-7 protected 1st round pick --> rumor has it that Houston would like to swap a 2012 1st round pick for a 2013 1st round pick, since they don't have one of their own

TO TORONTO
                              - Lowry --> PG of the future
                              - #14 pick --> used to draft Rivers to be backup SG / 6th-man sparkplug
                              - #16 pick --> could be used to draft a SF project (ie: PJIII, T.Jones, Ross, Harkness, etc...)

Toronto would have enough cap space to sign Nash outright for 3/$30M, if that was an option that both the Raptors and Nash wanted to explore.

I would hope that Toronto would still pursue a veteran SF. They could turn around and package #14/16 & Davis & JJ for an established player, such as Gay/Deng/Iguodala, if that was something they wanted to pursue. I'm not saying I like that sort of deal, but they would be left with enough assets to do so (ie: #14, #16, #37, Davis, JJ).

I am willing to bet BC is a very busy man these days!

Comment

• I dont think Lowry would like that very much. His discontent with Houston is precisely that he was sharing mins a bit much with Dragic. Nash is a good option if we were to draft a PG (even in the 2nd to be groomed) this year or next.

Comment

Working...
                                X