No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else a little disappointed in the lack of second round players brought in for workouts, much less the ones being worked out? Outside of Sacre and Joseph maybe Taylor none of them are guys i'd ever look at, personally. Where's guys like Lamb, Barton, Machado, Cunningham or Jenkins? The reality is we could get a solid contributor with that first second rounder, i'm not sure why they're not doing more to look into it.

/end rant
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      Is anyone else a little disappointed in the lack of second round players brought in for workouts, much less the ones being worked out? Outside of Sacre and Joseph maybe Taylor none of them are guys i'd ever look at, personally. Where's guys like Lamb, Barton, Machado, Cunningham or Jenkins? The reality is we could get a solid contributor with that first second rounder, i'm not sure why they're not doing more to look into it.

/end rant
      I think there is some value in the second round this year as well; however, I get the feeling that they would rather not draft a North American in the 2nd round unless someone they really wanted falls to them. I think they have said that they would rather draft and stash in Europe for a couple years, rather than have 4 rookies on the roster this upcoming season.
      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
      ― John Wooden

Comment

Is anyone else a little disappointed in the lack of second round players brought in for workouts, much less the ones being worked out? Outside of Sacre and Joseph maybe Taylor none of them are guys i'd ever look at, personally. Where's guys like Lamb, Barton, Machado, Cunningham or Jenkins? The reality is we could get a solid contributor with that first second rounder, i'm not sure why they're not doing more to look into it.

/end rant
        Here is the history of pick 37

Looks like it would be worth putting time into this pick. There has been some success. I will assume they have their list or plan made up

2011 Trey Thompkins, University of Georgia – L.A. Clippers
        2010 Darington Hobson, University of New Mexico – Milwaukee Bucks

2000’s

2009 DeJuan Blair, University of Pittsburgh – San Antonio Spurs
        2008 Luc Mbah a Moute, University of California, Los Angeles – Milwaukee Bucks
        2007 Josh McRoberts, Duke University – Portland Trail Blazers
        2006 Bobby Jones, University of Washington – Minnesota Timberwolves
        2005 Ronny Turiaf, Gonzaga University – L.A. Lakers
        2004 Royal Ivey, University of Texas at Austin – Atlanta Hawks
        2003 Travis Hansen, Brigham Young University – Atlanta Hawks
        2002 David Andersen, Australia – Atlanta Hawks
        2001 Mehmet Okur, Turkey – Detroit Pistons
        2000 Eddie House, Arizona State University – Miami HEAT

1990’s

1999 Obinna Ekezie, University of Maryland – Vancouver Grizzlies
        1998 Casey Shaw, University of Toledo – Philadelphia 76ers
        1997 Marc Jackson, Temple University – Golden State Warriors
        1996 Jeff McInnis, University of North Carolina – Denver Nuggets
        1995 Frankie King, Western Carolina University – L.A. Lakers
        1994 Dontonio Wingfield, University of Cincinnati – Seattle Supersonics
        1993 Nick Van Exel, University of Cincinnati – L.A. Lakers
        1992 Isaiah Morris, University of Arkansas – Miami HEAT
        1991 Elliot Perry, University of Memphis – L.A. Clippers
        1990 A.J. English, Virginia Union University – Washington Bullets

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of...pick-number-37

Comment

• Historically, the yield from #37 pick hasn't been that far off the quality of the #8 pick, all things considered.

Number 8 picks going back 15 years:

2011 Brandon Knight
          2010 Al-Farouq Aminu
          2009 Jordan Hll
          2008 Joe Alexander
          2007 Brandan Wright
          2006 Rudy Gay
          2005 Channing Frye
          2004 Rafael Araujo
          2003 T.J. Ford
          2002 Chris Wilcox
          2001 DeSagana Diop
          2000 Jamal Crawford
          1999 Andre Miller
          1998 Larry Hughes
          1997 Adonal Foyle
          1996 Kerry Kittles

Comment

/end rant
            Machado was here and Stefanski had good things to say about him (did he ever dis anyone?!). I do hope they keep the 37th at least (if we dont get another 1st)...we could get a decent player there for the bench and general talent accumulation.

Comment

• Unless the 2 picks are traded, chances are, they'll be stash away players. Kostas Papanikolaou, a 3 from Olympiacos had a great Euro Final 4 and he'll get a long look at #37 as will Tornike Shengelia, a combo forward who plays at Charleroi in Belgium, Tomas Satoransky, a 6'7" combo guard who hones his craft in Spain.

Comment

• The second round is typically a toss away. Apparently the 37th pick has defied odds but still there is nothing magical about picking 37th. It's a second round pick and it's not likely that anyone selected in that position goes on to even stick in the league.

Comment

• Chad ford tweeted not to long ago http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ng-up-in-draft
                  Rockets attempting to move up in draft with sources believing talks are with Toronto.

Which changes our big board completely considering we will probably be recieving lawry. Who knows if raptors plan on giving up some bigs seeing as houston lacks in that area meaning toronto could go after one with the 14th pick considering they will be looking at best available talent at 14th

If we aquire lawry nd can snag an off the ball guard like lamb, i would be satisfied with draft night. If we pick at 14 i say our big board consist players like pj3, lamb, rivers, harkless, t.jones, moultrie, nd less then likely waiters.

To sum it up, raptors pick is now even more up in the air.

Comment

• id be pretty jazzed about Lowry AND Lamb/Ross/Harkless oof
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• The Rockets want to move up to get Drummond. Chances are, he won't be there at 8. So I see a deal more likely going down with the Rockets and Kings.

Comment

• Lowry just tweeted "It's been real"

Trade?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• If the Raptors do make a trade with Houston I'll be very satisfied with Kyle Lowry and Jeremy Lamb/Austin Rivers.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Howard is 6'11 and JV is a true 7 footer. That front court of AD and JS is not as good as you think. They haven't even played in the league yet. Whichever one of them plays C will get destroyed trust me. I doubt NO will pick sullinger anyway
                            Well, no point in arguing about a front court that hasn't played together yet and may never. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, as I said before, their success, or lack of it, at centre will have little to do with their height. Howard is 6'9 w/o shoes, 6'10.25 w/
                            Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

And JV is not a true 7 footer, he is 6'11. He also, incidentally, has never played a game in the nba either.
                            Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...anciunas-5622/

Comment

• Rocky416 wrote: View Post
                              Chad ford tweeted not to long ago http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ng-up-in-draft
                              Rockets attempting to move up in draft with sources believing talks are with Toronto.

Which changes our big board completely considering we will probably be recieving lawry. Who knows if raptors plan on giving up some bigs seeing as houston lacks in that area meaning toronto could go after one with the 14th pick considering they will be looking at best available talent at 14th

If we aquire lawry nd can snag an off the ball guard like lamb, i would be satisfied with draft night. If we pick at 14 i say our big board consist players like pj3, lamb, rivers, harkless, t.jones, moultrie, nd less then likely waiters.

To sum it up, raptors pick is now even more up in the air.
                              Or talks could just be talks and the Raptors have no interest in dealing the #8 for something(Lowry) that can't compare to what they can get at #8.

Comment

• Probably. He can probably see the writing on the wall. #16 and Lowry for the number 5. And then they'll re-sign Dragic.

Comment

Working...
                                X