2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com's prediction for the Raps

I believe last year these guys predicted the Raps would take Kemba Walker, with Valanciunas still on the board. This year they (Sam Mitchell to be exact) are saying:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/dr...t_Prev_TOR.nba

I have not been high on Waiters but I am starting to come around. I like the fact that, even though he is a scorer, one of his strengths is passing.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Comment

• Lets hope Houston and Sac-Town get'er done.

2. Charlotte Bobcats

Thomas Robinson: PF, 21, 6-9, 244, Kansas, Junior

Although the Bobcats and their fans were disappointed not to end up with Davis after the miserable season they endured, they should get over that quickly when they realize they are about to add an important piece to their roster who is arguably more ready to compete from Day 1 than Davis.

Robinson will bring a blend of strength, athleticism and competitiveness that the team sorely lacked this season inside the paint. He will pair well with 2011 draft pick Bismack Biyombo to form one of the longest and most explosive interior frontcourts - certainly defensively - in the NBA.

3. Washington Wizards

Bradley Beal: SG, 18, 6-5, 202, Florida, Fresh.

After adding two significant contracts to their books this week in a controversial trade, the Wizards' biggest position of need appears to be at shooting guard. Beal has the perfect skills and demeanor to complement the ultra-quick but mediocre perimeter shooting John Wall, which should make him an excellent fit on Washington's roster.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: SF: 18, 6-7, 233, Kentucky, Fresh.

The Cavs have virtually nothing on the wing going into next season and would be very happy to see Kyrie Irving's former high school teammate available right here. Kidd-Gilchrist could fill an immediate hole, bringing intensity and toughness that will improve Cleveland's shaky perimeter defense. He's one of the most competitive players in this draft. Still very much a work in progress offensively, he would form a formidable transition duo with Irving and hyper-athletic Tristan Thompson.

Some reports indicate that Harrison Barnes could be the pick here, but according to our sources that is not the case.

5. Sacramento Kings

Harrison Barnes: SF, 19, 6-8, 228, North Carolina, Soph.

Sacramento's front office and coaching staff are reportedly leaning toward the player who can help the most next season. They do not have the job security to wait on a prospect like Andre Drummond who could take two to three years to develop. With that in mind, Barnes is both the safest and most logical pick here considering how weak the Kings are at small forward, despite the fact that he refuses to work out for them (like everyone else in the top five).

Trading the pick to a team like Houston (or someone else) as part of a deal involving Kyle Lowry, Tyreke Evans and the Nos. 14 and 16 picks appears to be a real option according to numerous NBA executives, but Sacramento reportedly hopes to find a better alternative and has stalled on pulling the trigger. If Houston were to trade up, it appears that Drummond would be the target, which could cause Barnes to fall as far as Toronto's pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...Mpevw.UU68vLYF
      I forgot all about Irving and MKG being high school teammates. One could make the whole friendship angle with Barnes relevant to MKG as well.

Suddenly I find myself hoping Houston and Sacramento make the trade.

Comment

• Some notes I wrote down after listening to the press conference:
        - He specifically mentioned that he likes 3 guys from the draft, but didn't mention who
        - Of course is looking at other guys in case those 3 guys are not available.
        - Has no problem going for a pick that won't be ready right now.
        - Compared Lillard to Curry with regards to a guy coming from a small school and had success
        - Didn't knock PJ3 or Sullinger directly.. but mentioned that things like motor matter and medical history matter when selecting their pick.
        - Generally picks best player available over need. Talent is more important then fitting inside a box. Used Bayless as an example of where they may get a guy that is similar to what Bayless brings to the table.
        - He plans to give Bayless his QO.
        - Doesn't want to panic and do anything reactionary now. Just wants to accelerate the rebuild.
        - May consider moving the pick for more talent.
        - Some teams ahead of them have been talking about moving their pick (eg, Charlotte, Sacramento, etc).. but doesn't want to give too much to move up.
        - It's nice to see guys in their own gym, but everyone has been seen. Saw games, many workouts in and out of Toronto
        - Has been purposely vague with what he's telling the media.

Comment

• more bayless huh sigh
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            No way.

Way more fun being an armchair QB spouting, "Coulda's, shoulda's, and woulda's."

In addition to calls for Colangelo's head, of course.
            u guys may like the approach of digging through others teams bench rosters trying to find gems, bayless, amir, James johnson imo all of them would not get minutes on a championship team. one has 2 bad knees plus tunnel vision, another is undersized at his position with no elite skills to help him, cant shoot the rock to save his life. BC holds on too long to guys who have hit their ceiling. I want to see draft picks cause thats how u build.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Some notes I wrote down after listening to the press conference:
              - He specifically mentioned that he likes 3 guys from the draft, but didn't mention who
              - Of course is looking at other guys in case those 3 guys are not available.
              - Has no problem going for a pick that won't be ready right now.
              - Compared Lillard to Curry with regards to a guy coming from a small school and had success
              - Didn't knock PJ3 or Sullinger directly.. but mentioned that things like motor matter and medical history matter when selecting
              their pick.
              - Generally picks best player available over need. Talent is more important then fitting inside a box. Used Bayless as an example of where they may get a guy that is similar to what Bayless brings to the table.
              - He plans to give Bayless his QO.
              - Doesn't want to panic and do anything reactionary now. Just wants to accelerate the rebuild.
              - May consider moving the pick for more talent.
              - Some teams ahead of them have been talking about moving their pick (eg, Charlotte, Sacramento, etc).. but doesn't want to give too much to move up.
              - It's nice to see guys in their own gym, but everyone has been seen. Saw games, many workouts in and out of Toronto
              - Has been purposely vague with what he's telling the media.
              Good rundown. I would add

-Ed Davis progress has been impressive since the end of the season
              -Other things may be in play after the Q offer to Bayless.
              -BC's last statement I am not telling you everything I know

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                u guys may like the approach of digging through others teams bench rosters trying to find gems, bayless, amir, James johnson imo all of them would not get minutes on a championship team. one has 2 bad knees plus tunnel vision, another is undersized at his position with no elite skills to help him, cant shoot the rock to save his life. BC holds on too long to guys who have hit their ceiling. I want to see draft picks cause thats how u build.
                DeRozan is still here. As is Davis. Valanciunas just came here and we have a pick at 8.
                And I don't see what the problem is with the Bayless, Amir and James Johnson acquistions - they weren't acquired for much. And to say that they've hit their ceiling is a bit premature.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  DeRozan is still here. As is Davis. Valanciunas just came here and we have a pick at 8.
                  And I don't see what the problem is with the Bayless, Amir and James Johnson acquistions - they weren't acquired for much. And to say that they've hit their ceiling is a bit premature.
                  i am sure you played enough ball or see enough ball to know when someone has the ability to learn new tricks. patience and ignorance are 2 different things not saying you are ignorant just saying these guys have no more potential then what you have already seen.

Comment

What does this post have to do with anything related to your comment, Nilanka's reply to your comment, and my reply to Nilanka's comment?

You have identified one way of building. To say or imply it is the only way is silly in my opinion - especially when talking about the 18th pick and looking around the league at so many teams that have gone the 'draft pick only' route to fail over and over again.

Building through draft picks requires luck and talented, mature, professional players who happen to be 19-21 years of age and have just been given a couple of million dollars - but most importantly luck. You also need strong leadership in the front office, on the coaching staff, and on the bench in professional, veteran players who have been through the wars and are willing to lead by example. Did I mention luck? Finally, you need to give the draft picks time to figure it all out because very few draft picks have the talent and intangibles to become franchise players. In case I missed it, luck is needed. There is more to being an NBA professional than lacing up sneakers and showing up to the games and there is more to building a team than getting a draft pick every year - luck is also needed.

As I said earlier, to say or imply building through the draft is the only way is silly in my opinion. If it were that easy draft picks would be invaluable and there would be multiple champions every season.

Comment

• A warning to players urged to return to school when they are already a projected lottery pick:

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz

3 players who came back for sophomore season that thought they were lottery not invited: Terrence Jones, Perry Jones III, Jared Sullinger.
                      All 3 would have been lottery picks last year with PJ3 and Sullinger possibly top 5.

Going back to get better is not a sure thing. There will be a new crop of players with 'potential' coming out every year.

Comment

i am sure you played enough ball or see enough ball to know when someone has the ability to learn new tricks. patience and ignorance are 2 different things not saying you are ignorant just saying these guys have no more potential then what you have already seen.
                        If they were to be released, I know there would be 29 other teams that would like to have them.

Comment

• Not going to lie, was happy to hear that Bayless is getting a QO. Good News to my ears.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Not going to lie, was happy to hear that Bayless is getting a QO. Good News to my ears.
                            Bigshot bayless is back in town to light it up

Comment

• That's less money to give Nash.

Comment

• Could you imagine Waiters/Rivers on the court at the same time as Bayless? Jeez. What a horrible thought. Something's up. Don't think we'll be taking a 2-guard tomorrow if Bayless' QO is indeed picked up.

Comment

Working...
                                X