Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buyer Beware: Tyson Chandler (ESPN Insider)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charlz
    replied
    Shadybiz wrote: View Post
    I like Chandler but Honestly what would we be trying to accomplish with him on the team? I mean if we made the playoffs, we would miss out on a very important Draft class for us.
    hmmm .... pay an FA going for last big contract after a trip to the finals - sound familiar? I would also stay away - chandler is all about money motivation once he gets signs his new deal the complacency is almost sure to follow.

Also given that they are tanking/developing one more season I doubt he will be gotten.

Leave a comment:

• Shadybiz
    replied
    I like Chandler but Honestly what would we be trying to accomplish with him on the team? I mean if we made the playoffs, we would miss out on a very important Draft class for us.

Leave a comment:

• Maleko
    replied
    star_bury wrote: View Post
    I was devastated when last year's deal for Chandler fell apart, but prying him away from Dallas after a championship wil be tough, and probably not worth it...
    Yah, and Cuban notoriously overpays for lukewarm Cs, imagine what he will do with Chandler. He isn't going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• GarbageTime
    replied
    thats one thing I've thought with Chandler... he plays to his team. He needs his team to be focused in order to stay focused himself.

In Chicago.... inconsistent. A bit of a headcase. Young guy on a young team.

In New Orleans.... money for the first 2 years, and so was the team. Playoff team, hard working, team played great he played great. Injuries didn't help.

In Charlotte... team was going no where and so was he. Disinterested most of the time and going through the motions. Much like the Cats.

In Dallas... one of the best Cs in the league. Hard working and dedicated much like his team.

If he ends up in Toronto... I'd expect nothing from him. Boston, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, LA, OKC are probably the teams best suited for him.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    I've never really been supportive of the Raps going after Chandler.

- Raps just drafted their legit C of the future, so any C brought in this year is a rental for 1-3 seasons at most

- his age means he won't be part of the young core nucleous; he won't be part of the team's long-term future

- his salary, even before it gets driven up by this off season's supply&demand (I've read that Atlanta, among others, are pushing hard for a starting C) will make him overpaid, especially for a player who isn't in the long-term plans; waste of precious cap space

- his addition might lead to a few more wins next season, which would hurt the team's chances for another top draft pick (not into tanking, but being realistic... what's a few more wins for a lottery team?); Raps got their C of the future this draft, SF of the future hopefully comes next year

--> I would rather go for a less effective but still decent, cheaper, temporary defense/rebounding C this offseason... a player to hold down the fort this season (if there is one) until JV comes over

Leave a comment:

• star_bury
    replied
    I was devastated when last year's deal for Chandler fell apart, but prying him away from Dallas after a championship wil be tough, and probably not worth it...

Leave a comment:

• Tony West
    replied
    He's definitely not worth any kind of commitment. Just look at his track-record..to say he's an inconsistent performer is an understatement.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    If there is no hard cap then the Raptors won't have a chance in hell at grabbing him. If there is a hard cap it probably wouldn't be wise to spend the kind of money that's going to be needed to get him. I'm thinking Chandler isn't on their list because he seems out of reach.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    I don't see him as a long term fit for us, he will be looking for a multi year deal and I don't want to see us spend the money on him.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    im pretty wary of anyone that performs leaps and bounds better in a contract year, and as such think we should avoid chandler. i know im in the minority on that one.

Leave a comment:

• Arsenalist
    started a topic Buyer Beware: Tyson Chandler (ESPN Insider)

Buyer Beware: Tyson Chandler (ESPN Insider)

Kevin Pelton on Chandler:

Colleague Chris Palmer ranked Chandler as the top free-agent target this offseason, and with good reason: He was even more important than Barea to Dallas' playoff run. He was arguably the second-best player on the NBA champion team. But there are reasons for potential buyers to be wary, most notably the fact that Chandler's performance has been so inconsistent from year to year. The previous two seasons, Chandler was a below-average player, which led the New Orleans Hornets and Charlotte Bobcats to trade him away in consecutive summers.

It's not necessarily that Chandler focused in a contract year so much as his performance tends to be unpredictable. He was terrific his first two years with the Hornets before slipping badly in 2008-09. Injuries that cost Chandler more than 30 games both seasons were surely a factor, as his rebounding declined before bouncing back with the Mavericks. When Chandler is right, he is one of the league's better centers. However, whoever signs Chandler cannot count on his being healthy throughout the lifetime of his next contract.
Working...
X