Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualifying Offer Extended To Weems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ugh. Why? A chucker and a pylon. I'd prefer to use the money on a defensive SF that can knock down the 3-rock. Three point shooting needs to be addressed this year (in the mold of James Posey - but not James Posey).

    I prefer restricted free agent Reggie Williams over him (for three point shooting, not defense).
    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Mon Jun 27, 2011, 04:23 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Why? As everyone says, this next season is a write-off. Why even bother getting someone?
      your pal,
      ebrian

      Comment


      • #18
        ebrian wrote: View Post
        Why? As everyone says, this next season is a write-off. Why even bother getting someone?
        There's a fine line between tanking and building. Tanking means you don't get the missing pieces. You do poorly and hope to get it in the draft. Building implies you get what you need. A team like the Raps needs a lot so they'll be several years away from competing but they're building... slowly. Getting someone like a Reggie Williams is more than a stop-gap at the SF position. He provides much needed 3-point shooting that will keep defences honest. Three point shooting is a need in this team. Perhaps we need to identify positions of need and the skills required from those positions (ie. James Johnson isn't going to give you three point shooting, Kleiza won't even when healthy, so get a SF (someone with 3-point capabilities) because Linas is away and may take time to heal).

        Getting a center via free-agency is a move I don't support simply because of the glut of frontline players that we have that can step right in (for the time being) before JV arrives.

        Forgoing Weems and getting someone like Williams is irrelevant of JV's arrival but critical in the building process. BTW, I'm not in love with Reggie, I'm just looking at a potential free agents that can shoot the 3-rock.

        Comment


        • #19
          matt wrote: View Post
          I'm just taking a wild guess here, and my info is based on NBA 2K 11, but I don't think team and qualifying options are the same thing.
          When I posted they were calling it an option. I questioned that in my post. Options and qualifying offers are not the same thing. There was no mention of a qualifying offer at that point.

          Comment


          • #20
            The option means Sonny can come back for the qualifying offer amount and become an unrestricted free agent next year.

            In other words, unless Sonny signs a contract with another team and TOR chooses not to match it he will be a Raptor next year - either on his qualifying offer or if Toronto and Sonny agree to a multi-year extension.

            Comment


            • #21
              this resigning is all about chemistry so I don't mind

              Comment


              • #22
                If they end up re-signing Weems for $3-4 million over 2 years or something I don't really see the harm. As poorly as he played this year at times, he's young and has the physical tools to be a good defender. Weems could be one of the players that Casey really earns his money with if he's able to get him to approach training camp with a clean slate and buy into a role.

                And I know it's sad that it's come to this but this is a good opportunity to gain some goodwill with DeRozan, AJ and Ed Davis. So you're keeping the young core happy, the contract is peanuts and it's not like the plan is to be that good anyway for the next two years.
                Last edited by Fully; Mon Jun 27, 2011, 07:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Good signing..and for 1.something million...of course..he makes DeRozen better..and mite just be the guy that would keep him here...plus who do you guys think you can get with that kind of money..not Aaron Grey because he wants more then that him self.GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    There's a fine line between tanking and building. Tanking means you don't get the missing pieces. You do poorly and hope to get it in the draft. Building implies you get what you need. A team like the Raps needs a lot so they'll be several years away from competing but they're building... slowly. Getting someone like a Reggie Williams is more than a stop-gap at the SF position. He provides much needed 3-point shooting that will keep defences honest. Three point shooting is a need in this team. Perhaps we need to identify positions of need and the skills required from those positions (ie. James Johnson isn't going to give you three point shooting, Kleiza won't even when healthy, so get a SF (someone with 3-point capabilities) because Linas is away and may take time to heal).

                    Getting a center via free-agency is a move I don't support simply because of the glut of frontline players that we have that can step right in (for the time being) before JV arrives.

                    Forgoing Weems and getting someone like Williams is irrelevant of JV's arrival but critical in the building process. BTW, I'm not in love with Reggie, I'm just looking at a potential free agents that can shoot the 3-rock.
                    What about James Johnson? Everyone (not me) seems to think he's part of the future.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Ugh. Why? A chucker and a pylon. I'd prefer to use the money on a defensive SF that can knock down the 3-rock. Three point shooting needs to be addressed this year (in the mold of James Posey - but not James Posey).

                      I prefer restricted free agent Reggie Williams over him (for three point shooting, not defense).
                      I know I agree he has wild swings of be totally indiscipline and then he is useless. I have bad visions of the NETS picking him up and him dropping 25 on the Raps with DWILL every time they play - lol.
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Maleko wrote: View Post
                        As a bench 2, learning his place and role on the team: sure; as a starter, a 3, or a high minute player: no.
                        Considering he's smaller than DeMar I really hope you're right. I saw some stats here a while back that really emphasized how out of his element he is at the 3 compared to his fairly decent play at the 2.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          James Johnson has a far greater positive impact on the team than Sonny does. No way he doesn't start over Sonny if the Raptors are unfortunately stuck having to choose between them.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Does Sonny even have a team option? I thought he did not:

                            http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
                            This site posts more accurate salaries and updates more often than Hoopshype. Ryen Rusillio told me so.

                            http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ries/index.jsp
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              lets hope this only means that they plan on using sonny to fill out the roster. im my opinion this guy has terrible shot selection and his playing time kinda hampered demar's progression the past few seasons. i would have preferred to see Julian Wright get some more playing time, he was better defensively and a better rebouder. lets hope that Kleiza will be healthy so sonny gets less time on the floor. also lets hope that james johnson is ahead of him in the depth chart.
                              http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X