Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump
    replied
    I don't know much about the contract issues, but I think it has something to do with FIBA allowing players to do so. The NBA and FIBA have some agreement in place in terms of the Euro leagues honoring NBA contracts and vice-versa. That is why buyouts are such a key part of Euro contracts. The speculation is that during the lockout, FIBA will allow NBAers under contract to go over during the lockout (like Deron) since their contracts are technically suspended (or something). Any guy under contract would need very flexible outs because they'd have to be able to leave the Euro deal on very short notice if the lockout stops. Obviously, people should feel free to correct anything I've got wrong.

As for Demar going over there, I have no problem with that if it's a deal like Deron's where he could easily get out. Again, these guys are going to be playing basketball in some way, so whether it's in Europe or on the Kobe tour, the best thing is that it's a controlled environment with other pros. There's no way Demar would take the whole year away in Europe if the lockout ends. You don't grow up in Compton with hoop dreams of playing in Greece, Spain or Turkey. He's in the NBA and it's where he's going to try and make his name.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 8, 2011, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    (and the ladies)
    that was my first thought when hearing about Sonny going to Eastern Europe... he was whining a little while ago about being single... in Eastern Europe he'll be thanking the lord he's single... and their women... so fine.

Leave a comment:

• GarbageTime
    replied
    LeetGoose wrote: View Post
    Isn't there some rule against players that are currently signed to a team playing overseas? The only way I think DeRozan can is if he joins that Chinese exhibition thing that Kobe was planning on doing.
    As others have mentioned its a grey area... but think of it this way. The players havea contract to provide a serive at a price. The owners have locked them out and are not allowing them (or paying them) to provide that service. Is there any reason they shouldn't be allowed to find alternate work in the meantime?

Now ofcourse without an opt out clause it becomes extremely difficult because those players would be under contract to 2 teams and responisble for providing services to them both.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    BayCityBaller wrote: View Post
    That's some wishful thinking. I doubt that the Lithuanian league, as passionate as they are about basketball, could afford to put the money forth for an international just out of the NBA. Perhaps, but highly doubtful. Show me a link. I'll translate it if it's out of Lithuania.
    If DW's contract is any example (and he is a star in the NBA) he is repotedly (PTI) getting $200k/month vs $2mill./month in the nba. My math says thats 1/10th. Sonny doesnt say what he is getting but that would be a good benchmark....and then go lower. Not that I blame him for getting anything more than zero and honing his game (and the ladies) in Lithuania.

Leave a comment:

• Ambidextrious
    replied
    Imagine sonny demar and jonas on the same euroleague team. That would be basically young gunz East. I would be down if they joined forces and continue to build chemistry and a foundation. Who knows ed might chose to join with them, followed by Jerry'd and amir lol!!

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    Because the players are locked out it is a legal grey area. However, the NBAPA has stated that as long as a player has opt-out clauses attached to their euro league contract they will legally fight any attempt at the NBA or owners trying to deny players from playing overseas. I imagine the owners won't do anything about players playing overseas but that's just my own opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Rilu
    replied
    http://sportas.delfi.lt/basketball/z....d?id=47389315
    http://www.lrytas.lt/-13101093111309...dyta-video.htm
    http://www.alfa.lt/straipsnis/118376...1-07-08_10-54/
    http://www.15min.lt/naujiena/sportas...giri-23-159436

Here you go. I can tell you it is possible, the owner of Zalgiris is a well-known (for being stupid and throwing good coaches and managers out of the team) russian bussinessman, he also maintains possession of various football clubs and a bank in Lithuania. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Romanov

Leave a comment:

• BayCityBaller
    replied
    Rilu wrote: View Post
    Lithuanian press says Weems signed with Zalgiris.
    That's some wishful thinking. I doubt that the Lithuanian league, as passionate as they are about basketball, could afford to put the money forth for an international just out of the NBA. Perhaps, but highly doubtful. Show me a link. I'll translate it if it's out of Lithuania.

Leave a comment:

• RAPresenting
    replied
    Hopefully Demar does play in Europe if there is indeed a lockout. I'd love to see any of our young guys actually get a chance to go and play and get some coaching. The more coaching the better for players at a young age.

Leave a comment:

• Rilu
    replied
    Lithuanian press says Weems signed with Zalgiris.

Leave a comment:

• BayCityBaller
    replied
    if it's good enough for Deron, why not DD? Development is essential and why not afford DD the opportunity to compete and improve?

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    I doubt it, but I think it would be better for Demar to play some Euroleague games then dunking on scrubs during the offseason at a pick up games.

Leave a comment:

• Ice_man
    replied
    If a player is currently under contract with an NBA team, I'm pretty sure they have to get a letter of permission from FIBA to play overseas during the current lockout. Also, the Euro team needs to get insurance on the player's contract in case of injury.

If both Demar and Sonny actually play for the same team, Raps fans might as well just start watching Lithuanian bball. Hopefully Europe can help both of these guys with their long range shooting, as well as their team D. We can only hope they come back better players.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    LeetGoose wrote: View Post
    Isn't there some rule against players that are currently signed to a team playing overseas? The only way I think DeRozan can is if he joins that Chinese exhibition thing that Kobe was planning on doing.
    It's a bit complicated under the circumstances of a lockout. Stern has publicly said that he doesn't care...but hasto take this stance because he could otherwise be legally culpable for denying players he has locked out from other alternative employment. However, players as well have lost their benefits/insurance during this time, so, if they get injured, the lockout ends and they are incapable of playing they might have their contracts revoked or not get paid by the nba team. There is also the issue of FIBA having to get permission from USA Basketball for those players with a "valid" contract. I am unsure of what happens there.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Deron signed on overseas, why can't DeMar? There's just (almost) always a opt out if the lockout ends

Leave a comment:

Working...
X