Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    One main reason other players who were in the tournament didn't get drafting is because they didn't make themselves eligible. Young couldn't have entered the draft because he's not a year out of high school. Maybe Valanciunas dominated like he did because he's simply a very good player.
    Are you sure about that?

Comment

• Okay, here's what I can say about the tournament, if I have to say something to prove my fan loyalty.

I'm encouraged that JV makes the effort to rebound and defend (as opposed to another 7 footer we have on our team). As to his ability to do so in the NBA, I can't speak on it because I haven't seen any evidence that shows he'll be successful at this.

I'm encouraged by his ability to hit free throws. I'm pretty sure the line (distance) is the same over there as it is here, therefore I already know that he will be a great free throw shooter in the NBA.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
        Okay, here's what I can say about the tournament, if I have to say something to prove my fan loyalty.

I'm encouraged that JV makes the effort to rebound and defend (as opposed to another 7 footer we have on our team). As to his ability to do so in the NBA, I can't speak on it because I haven't seen any evidence that shows he'll be successful at this.

I'm encouraged by his ability to hit free throws. I'm pretty sure the line (distance) is the same over there as it is here, therefore I already know that he will be a great free throw shooter in the NBA.
        Now was that SOO hard?? hahaha

I do agree we haven't seen anything of Real Value yet, but we've seen enough to know that he's not going to Lay Down and die and let himself be a bust.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
          Are you sure about that?
          Yes. He's going to be a freshman at Florida in the fall. American players have to be one year removed from high school in order to enter the draft. That's why Brandon Jennings went to Europe for a year.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• ebrian,

I'm not suggesting you're petty, but possibly unintentionally biased. I do think that you WANT Valanciunas to do well, but you seem to have more of a fondness for NCAA trained players, so view International players with a lot more suspicion. And I think that's a common trait, especially among Canadian Raptor fans who don't want Bargnani on the team, anymore.

And the whole thing about draft prospects, is that you simply can't be sure how they'll do until the hit the NBA. And where they get picked doesn't say how good they are now. If Patric Young does end up being a top 10 pick, it still doesn't prove that he is NBA ready, just as if he doesn't end up being a lottery pick prove that he wasn't a formidable opponent in the tournament. Being a lottery pick doesn't "prove anything" other than scouts feel you have enough potential to be picked there. Kemba Walker was the best player in college basketball, but he didn't go first because other players had more potential. Kenneth Faried averaged 17 and 14 yet was a late first round pick, whereas Tristan Thompson only averaged 13 and 7.8, yet was the fourth pick.

Some of the players aren't projected to be drafted in 2012 for various reasons. Some may simply not have enough potential, but it doesn't mean they aren't good now. Some may be under contract for the next few years, so it's presumed they won't put their name in the draft until 2013. Some may not be on the radar, yet. Biyombo wasn't on the radar until a few months before the draft. You just can't understand the level of play simply by looking at where guys will get drafted. Loads of players are great NCAA players, but don't have enough potential to be drafted in the NBA. It doesn't mean they aren't excellent players.

The truth is that nothing, outside of actual NBA play, tells you how a player is going to perform there. But his play in the tournament was EXTREMELY encouraging, especially considering that the only other player who dominated like he did in the U19 tournament was Andrew Bogut, who was a first round pick and if he hadn't struggled with injuries would have been an All-Star by now.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Yes. He's going to be a freshman at Florida in the fall. American players have to be one year removed from high school in order to enter the draft. That's why Brandon Jennings went to Europe for a year.
              Yes, I know the rules surrounding the age limit and why Jennings ended up in Europe for a season.
              Young played for Florida last year though, even started a couple games.
              http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php
              Last edited by Fully; Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Young will be a sophmore. He averaged 3.4pts and 3.8rebs in just under 18mins for Florida last year.

*whoops* what Fully said.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                  Yes, I know the rules surrounding the age limit and why Jennings ended up in Europe for a season.
                  Young played for Florida last year though, even started a couple games.
                  http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php
                  Whoa! You're right. I don't know why I thought he was a high school senior. My bad.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• JV is Stacked

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Okay, here's what I can say about the tournament, if I have to say something to prove my fan loyalty.

How can you not be impressed with a guy who averaged 23.0 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.2 blocks in the tournament, while leading his team to gold and winning the MVP?

I cant believe we are even having this discussion.

Does it mean he is the next Wilt Chamberlain? No.

Does it mean he is an NBA star? No.

Could we have asked anything more from the kid out of this tournament? No.

I think it is safe to say that all raptors fans that are excited about this kid have every right in the world to be. Because at this point thats all it is speculation. But all signs point to go for this kid. Sky is the limit for him no doubt. I don't think their is any doubt in any NBA executives mind that this guy is not a top prospect going forward.

I for one am kind of choked that we have to wait for him before he can make an impact for us. But I think that the raptors drafted the best player available. Which should make everyone that believes the raptors should go into full rebuilding mode happy.

Raptor fans should be happy that we got a kid like this, I cant wait to see him in a raptors uniform.
                    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                      How can you not be impressed with a guy who averaged 23.0 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.2 blocks in the tournament, while leading his team to gold and winning the MVP?

I cant believe we are even having this discussion.

Does it mean he is the next Wilt Chamberlain? No.

Does it mean he is an NBA star? No.

Could we have asked anything more from the kid out of this tournament? No.

I think it is safe to say that all raptors fans that are excited about this kid have every right in the world to be. Because at this point thats all it is speculation. But all signs point to go for this kid. Sky is the limit for him no doubt. I don't think their is any doubt in any NBA executives mind that this guy is not a top prospect going forward.

I for one am kind of choked that we have to wait for him before he can make an impact for us. But I think that the raptors drafted the best player available. Which should make everyone that believes the raptors should go into full rebuilding mode happy.

Raptor fans should be happy that we got a kid like this, I cant wait to see him in a raptors uniform.
                      If it's not clear yet, I fully agree with this position.

Comment

• Until JV plays against real competition and performs well, I've decided not to waste my time debating this topic.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Until JV plays against real competition and performs well, I've decided not to waste my time debating this topic.
                          I also understand and support this position as well.

Comment

Until JV plays against real competition and performs well, I've decided not to waste my time debating this topic.
                            Does that mean you won't be giving your opinion about the nba potential of any college player? That will be tough if there's nothing else to do in a long lockout. I wish you strength.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              Does that mean you won't be giving your opinion about the nba potential of any college player? That will be tough if there's nothing else to do in a long lockout. I wish you strength.
                              Like Andrew Bogut who also did very well in the same U19 tournament, JV should have joined an NCAA school for further polishing up and playing against real top tier competition in the Pac-12. He would then get drafted #1 overall and all would be well about his potential success in the NBA. Until then drafter beware the legacy of Bargnani & Milicic but not Kwame nor Olokowandi.

Please turn off the sarcasm meter now.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                Like Andrew Bogut who also did very well in the same U19 tournament, JV should have joined an NCAA school for further polishing up and playing against real top tier competition in the Pac-12. He would then get drafted #1 overall and all would be well about his potential success in the NBA. Until then drafter beware the legacy of Bargnani & Milicic but not Kwame nor Olokowandi.

Please turn off the sarcasm meter now.
                                Haha, And to an extent, this is a legitimate argument.
                                However, unlike Bogut, JV has been playing Professionally in Lithuania, and throughout Europe, since he was 16 years old.
                                Thus losing all eligibility to play for an NCAA club and prove his REAL value.

Comment

Working...
                                X