Valanciunas is the next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valanciunas is the next...

There have been a quite few names thrown around for NBA comparisons to Jonas. Everything from Chandler to Ilgauskus. I always enjoy reading the mocks "best case/worst case scenario" ahead of the draft, mostly because I haven't watched enough of the guy to get a handle myself. However, now after watching some of the tournament (and I am hoping you are not just watching highlights), who do you see as being the most likely statistical comparison for Jonas' NBA career?

Draft Express -
    Best case = Andris Biedrins Meets Joakim Noah
    Worst Case = Omer Asik

NBADRAFT.NET - Spencer Hawes/Primoz Brezic

Personally, and this is after watching about 3 complete games (call me an expert), he reminds me of Noah the most. Jonas' free throw percentage is better, but there are some definite similarities (passion, rebounding, intangibles). He even kind of runs like him... picture him with a pony tail and patchy beard.
    Noah's career numbers.
    What's your call?

I think Valanciunas is going to be better offensively than either Biedrins or Noah. I would think 15 ppg is probably what he'll end up averaging. He just seems to have better offensive awareness and touch than Noah or Biedrins.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He's waaay ahead of Biedrins and Noah offensively. I still say he's a Tyson Chandler with way better offense imo.

Comment

You do not need to limit your choices to the examples given in the opening thread. I am curious to hear a better comparison that doesn't need adjustment (i.e. - Noah with a better shot).

Comment

A more versatile, athletic Bogut would be my best guess. The only knock on him would be his weight.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
            He's waaay ahead of Biedrins and Noah offensively. I still say he's a Tyson Chandler with way better offense imo.
            Have you ever seen Rocky IV. He reminds me of a skinny Ivan drago. I'm just waiting for him to block someone and say "I MUST CRUSH YOU"
            What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

The Noah one is good but like other have said, he is much better offensively than Noah. Maybe someone like Vlade Divac? His skill set is like Dwight Howard's but instead of ridiculous athleticism, he has a much better touch.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                The Noah one is good but like other have said, he is much better offensively than Noah. Maybe someone like Vlade Divac? His skill set is like Dwight Howard's but instead of ridiculous athleticism, he has a much better touch.
                You know, after watching him in the U19, Dwight Howard also came to mind for me. Obviously, he's nowhere near the physical specimen Howard is, but there was just something about his play that reminded me of him. They're both so relentless, but maybe it also has something to do with both averaging 20 ppg with very few offensive skills.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                  Vlade was a much better passer and averaged 8.2 rebounds for his career (I think jonas will beat that). We still haven't found a guy that shot free throws at the clip Jonas is. I understand that Howard scores without much offensive game; however, that is where the comparison stops for me. Howard's game is built around his athleticism and strength... both of those things could be considered weaknesses for Jonas.

I feel like there is a better comparison out there... just can't put my finger on it.

Comment

Well Team USA coach Paul Hewitt had a good one: "He went Rambo on us in the second half."

I'm hesitant to compare him to a Young Sabonis, but if you watch this clip:

You might agree that as young men, their games are eerily similar. It's that touch and feel around the basket. The heart. The competitiveness. The hustle down low. The explosive dunks. It's all there. (Keep in mind I'm comparing them as young men [first couple minutes of the clip], and not the older, more polished Sabonis in his Hall of Fame years.)
                    Last edited by Joey; Sat Jul 9, 2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

he's... not the next andrea bargnani. i can tell you that.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                        A more versatile, athletic Bogut would be my best guess. The only knock on him would be his weight.
                        I agree, he seems very Bogut-ish in potential, size and skill right now. I don't think the weight is a knock. He's what, 240 and he just turned 19 or something? Remember he's a big so growth spurts have probably made it hard to keep weight on. Then consider Tyson Chandler is listed at 235 (though I think that number has to be old on nba.com and he's probably closer to 250 or more)...I think Val will definitely get bigger, and it won't be hard. This is not a case of Bosh or Biedrins where guys stay skinny. I think Val will end up somewhere between 250 and 270 easily.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                          People keep saying this, but he weighs more than Noah already and no one is talking about him adding weight. That is not to say that he couldn't stand to put a few pounds of muscle on. But i am interested to know no one mentions the other 220 - 235 pound centers out there currently playing in the league.

Comment

what about the next Karl Malone... only taller, leaner... but the same kind of pick and roll game... and rebounding skills.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              I'm hesitant to compare him to a Young Sabonis, but if you watch this clip:

You might agree that as young men, their games are eerily similar. It's that touch and feel around the basket. The heart. The competitiveness. The hustle down low. The explosive dunks. It's all there. (Keep in mind I'm comparing them as young men [first couple minutes of the clip], and not the older, more polished Sabonis in his Hall of Fame years.)
                              Wow. The young Sabonis was SKINNY! It's been a while since I saw pre-NBA Sabonis. I forgot just how mobile he was. And man was he a good passer. I would have loved to have seen him come to the NBA ten years earlier.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X