2012 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Roster

With the 2011 NBA season in jeopardy and the fact that we don't have a lot of things to talk about beside the great performances of our new drafted player Jonas Valanciunas, why not start to talk about the season after the next one? This will be a really exciting season for the Raptors. As for me, I would really like to see the exact same group of guys that we have right now, with some little modifications. Here's what my 2012 Raptors Roster would look like:

C: Valanciunas/Ajinça/Alabi
    PF: Bargnani/Davis/Johnson
    SF: Rookie*/Johnson/Kleiza
    SG: DeRozan/Barbosa/Weems
    PG: Bayless/Calderon/Banks

*Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones

What y'all thinking? Sorry I don't have enough time to do a complete explanation imma do it later!

Just so you know we won't have Ajinca next year he's a free agent

Comment

Remove Bargnani as the starting PF. IF he isn't traded, which is doubtful in my mind, there's no way he starts ahead of Ed Davis in 2012. And I really don't see the Raptors keeping 3 PFs that will need as much playing time as they will.

Ajinca most likely isn't coming back next year, let alone 2012. I would be surprised if Barbosa isn't traded before the deadline (if there is one).

I also think that whoever the Raptors get as their center next season will start there at the beginning of 2012. Valanciunas shouldn't be thrown into the fray immediately. He's going to take some time to adjust. I've said previously that I expect him to play about 20 mpg his first season.

As for the rookie, if the Raptors get Harrison Barnes or, a guy I'm liking more and more, Michael Gilchrist, I'll be very happy.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm liking Quincy Miller these days. That guys going to be special.

James McAdoo has the potential and skillset to be a very solid SF; if he can make the proper transition out of the post.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Remove Bargnani as the starting PF. IF he isn't traded, which is doubtful in my mind, there's no way he starts ahead of Ed Davis in 2012. And I really don't see the Raptors keeping 3 PFs that will need as much playing time as they will.

Ajinca most likely isn't coming back next year, let alone 2012. I would be surprised if Barbosa isn't traded before the deadline (if there is one).

I also think that whoever the Raptors get as their center next season will start there at the beginning of 2012. Valanciunas shouldn't be thrown into the fray immediately. He's going to take some time to adjust. I've said previously that I expect him to play about 20 mpg his first season.

As for the rookie, if the Raptors get Harrison Barnes or, a guy I'm liking more and more, Michael Gilchrist, I'll be very happy.
          One of those 3 PF's (Bargnani, Amir, or ED) are going to be traded by the start of 2012-2013 season i.e. before JV arrives. Hopefully another first round pick can be had from any possible deal.

There seems to be a lot of good SF's available - those two would be great as would Quincy Miller. Anthony Davis is interesting as well. As he was a 6'3" guard in his junior year before a 7 inch growth spurt I wonder if he could play SF, more from NBADraft.net:

Combines a versatile skill-set with excellent length, fluidity and athleticism ... Was a 6'3" guard his junior year before a major 7-inch growth spurt, so he possesses good perimeter skills ... Ball handling and passing skills are very strong for a player his size ... Capable of throwing brilliant outlet passes to set his teammates up for easy points ... Very unselfish ... Runs the floor extremely well, usually beating his man down the court with ease ... Outstanding length (7'4" wingspan), activity and instincts makes him an absolute terror as a defender ... A dominant shot blocker who also shows great ability defending on the perimeter ... Despite skinny frame, is an excellent rebounder ... Seemingly impossible to keep him off the offensive glass ... Soft hands and long arms allow him to catch virtually anything thrown in the vicinity of him ... An easy target for lob passes ... Has great instincts around the rim, touch within 5 feet of the basket ... Great athleticism, body control and touch makes him a very strong finisher in the paint ... Very efficient ... Virtually unstoppable around the basket... Strong motor and aggressiveness ... Willing to make the hustle plays and is not afraid of contact at all ... Humble kid with tremendous upside...

Weaknesses: Very slender, even for the collegiate level ... It's likely that he just needs some time to fill into his new found height, but that remains to be seen ... As of now, the combination of his frail frame and aggressiveness gets him into foul trouble fairly quickly when matched up with a bigger opponent ... Isn't refined offensively. His shooting ability and post moves are solid, but will need to show improvement if he ever wants to be a go-to scorer at the NBA level ... Growth spurt could cause some issues with his knees, could experience some significant pain and could also be a little injury prone for the next year or so ...

Outlook: Considered the top player in his class by many college recruiting sites, including Scout and ESPN... Was the highlight of the Jordan Brand Classic with 29 points (13-15 FG), 11 rebounds and 4 blocks... Will be playing for a very deep Kentucky team next season, where he can utilize his strengths... Likely one-and-done candidate who projects to be a top-5 pick in next year's draft ...
          Also, it looks like Gilchrist has changed his name to Kidd-Gilchrist in memory of his late uncle. In the link it says his uncle died at 42 of a heart attack and Mike was the one to find him last November - this was on the morning when he signed with Kentucky.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238454

Comment

Quincy Miller but i'd would be fine with Gilchrist as well and i forgot about harrison barnes!
            Last edited by HuskyRaptor; Mon Jul 11, 2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

James McAdoo has the potential and skillset to be a very solid SF; if he can make the proper transition out of the post.
              I read that as well. His build seems to be similar to Derrick Williams i.e. 6'8"/6'9" and 240-ish.

I am high on Miller as well. I hope his knee is 100% with no effects moving forward. If there is no NBA season, it should be a great year for college hoops.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

The thing that would scare me off Miller is his ACL injury. Otherwise I agree.

The reason I like Gilchrist is he is so dedicated to defense, at such a young age, and he's so incredibly competitive and apparently very dedicated to the game. Those are the types of traits that separate the good players from the great ones.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Miller is rail thin, though. I could see him get bones broken from the wind of LBJ's blow by...lol.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

I'll take my best stab at the 2012/13 roster:

PG: (rookie - Teague? Kabongo?), Calderon
                    SG: DD, Barbosa, 2012 2nd round
                    SF: (rookie - Gilchrist? Miller? Barnes?), JJ, Kleiza
                    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Reggie
                    C: Chandler, JV, Alabi

As the Raps have 2 SF's who can play PF in small ball (JJ, Kleiza); 3 PF's in Amir, ED, and Bargnani; and have publicly stated they have every intention to sign a C while using their cap space/financial flexibility to steal a player from a team under the new CBA, they have a glut at PF and C as I think Tyson Chandler fits the criteria. If he was signed to a 4 year deal, assuming rookie deals were still in the new CBA, he would be expiring as JV/2012 draft pick were coming up for extensions. Also, Alabi would be a team option at $870K - not bad for a third string.

I am not in favour of trading ED but given his rookie contract and potential, he could be the piece that yields another mid-late lottery pick that could net the Raptors a future PG (Teague? Kabongo?) - say ED/future protected 1st rounder for #8-12?. While I do not believe it, I am going to put on my rose coloured glasses and assume, just for a moment, that Bargnani would be successful paired with Chandler and subsequently JV. *My fingers burned as I typed that*
                    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jul 11, 2011, 07:53 PM. Reason: deleted Cook, added 2012 2nd round pick as third SG

Comment

The thing that would scare me off Miller is his ACL injury. Otherwise I agree.

The reason I like Gilchrist is he is so dedicated to defense, at such a young age, and he's so incredibly competitive and apparently very dedicated to the game. Those are the types of traits that separate the good players from the great ones.
                      What about Gilchrist's shot? That is my concern with him - especially a pairing of him and DD on the wings.

Comment

I still don't see Davis and Valanciunas as good complimentary pieces (talking about offense). They have overlapping strengths and weaknesses unless one of them develops a better post game and one of them (probably Valanciunas) becomes a better spot up shooter. On offense the combination of Valanciunas and Bargnani seems more complimentary.

Maybe it's not necessary to trade one of the four big man if Davis or Johnson can play minutes as the back-up center in say two/three years when Valanciunas becomes the starting center. To me trading would all depend on what the return would be. Moving Bargnani to the sixth man position in a couple of years would also be interesting because it gives the team the opportunity to give the opponent a completely different look.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I'll take my best stab at the 2012/13 roster:

PG: (rookie - Teague? Kabongo?), Calderon
                          SG: DD, Barbosa, Daequan Cook
                          SF: (rookie - Gilchrist? Miller? Barnes?), JJ, Kleiza
                          PF: Bargnani, Amir, Reggie
                          C: Chandler, JV, Alabi

As the Raps have 2 SF's who can play PF in small ball (JJ, Kleiza); 3 PF's in Amir, ED, and Bargnani; and have publicly stated they have every intention to sign a C while using their cap space/financial flexibility to steal a player from a team under the new CBA, they have a glut at PF and C as I think Tyson Chandler fits the criteria. If he was signed to a 4 year deal, assuming rookie deals were still in the new CBA, he would be expiring as JV/2012 draft pick were coming up for extensions. Also, Alabi would be a team option at $870K - not bad for a third string.

I am not in favour of trading ED but given his rookie contract and potential, he could be the piece that yields another mid-late lottery pick that could net the Raptors a future PG (Teague? Kabongo?) - say ED/future protected 1st rounder for #8-12?. While I do not believe it, I am going to put on my rose coloured glasses and assume, just for a moment, that Bargnani would be successful paired with Chandler and subsequently JV. *My fingers burned as I typed that*
                          I can't believe that you think that not only would Chandler be a good signing, but that he would sign with the Raptors. I had to look twice to make sure it was your comment.

And considering that Davis was a huge steal at 13, and might end up being one of the 5 best players in his draft, trading him for a draft pick would be beyond stupid, in my opinion. Especially if it's to keep Bargnani.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            What about Gilchrist's shot? That is my concern with him - especially a pairing of him and DD on the wings.
                            Shots are easily fixed, especially if they aren't awful. Ideally, I'd like a better outside shooter to pair with DeRozan, but ultimately I'd want the best player, and I really like Gilchrist's potential.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I can't believe that you think that not only would Chandler be a good signing, but that he would sign with the Raptors. I had to look twice to make sure it was your comment.

And considering that Davis was a huge steal at 13, and might end up being one of the 5 best players in his draft, trading him for a draft pick would be beyond stupid, in my opinion. Especially if it's to keep Bargnani.
                              lol - It is not quite what I would do, however, just trying to connect the dots of public statements made by BC and Casey.

Then again, BC showed he is the master of smoke-screen this past draft by making just about everyone thing he was going to take one of Leonard/Walker/Knight/Biyombo. Maybe (hopefully!) he is doing the reverse with Bargnani now.

Regarding Davis, read what I wrote:

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jul 11, 2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X