Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports Illustrated Top 20 Free Agents 2011: Raptors (Joeys) Likely Interest Level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated Top 20 Free Agents 2011: Raptors (Joeys) Likely Interest Level.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a1&eref=nbag

Found this article. Thought I'd take a stab at Rating the Raptors Interest Level.
    Sports Illustrated write-up, provided.

Nene
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 7.5/10 Reason: Injuries possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 14.5 ppg, 61.5 FG%, 7.6 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 bpg
    Status: Unrestricted -- $11.6 million early termination option
    SI: The Brazilian bruiser is everything a team could want in a center. He's young, physical and posted numbers that have been consistent (at least 75 games played, around 14 points and eight rebounds per game) over the last three seasons. Nene won't come cheap -- he reportedly is looking for more than $50 million over four years -- but he is a rare, almost All-Star-caliber starting center who can man the middle for a team for the next five years easily.

Marc Gasol
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 10/10 Reason: Obvious. Restricted Free Agent possible Issue.

'10-11 Stats: 11.7 ppg, 52.7 FG%, 7.0 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.7 bpg
    SI: Which Gasol brother do you think teams want now? Marc's numbers slipped from 2009-10 in the regular season, but he posted 15 points (on 51.1 percent shooting) and 11.2 rebounds during Memphis' playoff run. Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has put the word out he intends to match any offers for Gasol, who has developed a nice chemistry with recently re-signed power forward Zach Randolph.

David West
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 1/10 Reason: He's a 30 year old Power Forward.

'10-11 Stats: 18.9 ppg, 50.8 FG%, 7.6 rpg, 2.3 apg
    Status: Unrestricted -- $7.5 million early termination option
    SI: West raised a few eyebrows when he elected to opt out of the final year of his deal with New Orleans, walking away from $7.5 million after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his left knee three months ago. A healthy West is an effective low-post and pick-and-pop player, but his age and recent injury history will give smart teams cause for concern. A prolonged lockout could give him more time to recover and show teams he will be ready to go at the start of the season.

Tyson Chandler
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 8/10 Reason: Injuries and Money Demands, possible Issues.

'10-11 Stats: 10.1 ppg, 65.4 FG%, 9.4 rpg, 1.1 bpg
    SI: Chandler's history of injuries made him a questionable commodity going into last season. Now, after helping the Mavericks to their first championship in franchise ever, he's a desired one. Don't expect Mark Cuban to allow the anchor of Dallas' vastly improved defense to walk after his most productive season in seven years, not with an aging roster and a finite window to claim another title. New collective bargaining agreement permitting, Cuban will break the bank to keep Chandler -- or at least pay him more than the $7.6 million backup Brendan Haywood will make next season.

Thaddeus Young
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 10/10 Reason: Obvious. Very Young, athletic, gifted Small Forward.

'10-11 Stats: 12.7 ppg, 54.1 FG%, 5.3 rpg, 1.0 apg
    SI: Funny, that tweener tag doesn't sound like a criticism when the player can defend three positions, run the floor like a gazelle and emerge as a Sixth Man of the Year candidate. Coach Doug Collins struck gold when he put Young in a reserve role, so don't expect the Sixers -- who are coming off a superb second half of last season and a competitive five-game first-round loss to Miami -- to allow Young to take his talents elsewhere.

Jason Richardson
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 2/10 Reason: Love his game, but we don't need him.

'10-11 Stats: 15.6 ppg, 44.7 FG%, 39.5 3PT%, 4.1 rpg, 1.8 apg
    SI: At 30, Richardson is no longer the explosive, 20-points-per-game scorer he was with Golden State. But there is still some pop in his legs and he has been remarkably durable the last four seasons. Richardson is ringless in 10 seasons, so if he doesn't re-sign with Orlando, he's a candidate to take a pay cut to play for a contender (Chicago, for one) in need of his services.

DeAndre Jordan
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 10/10 Reason: Killer athlete with improving Defense. Still very young. Restricted Free Agent, possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 7.1 ppg, 68.6 FG%, 7.2 rpg, 1.8 bpg
    SI: Blake Griffin's frontcourt mate made serious strides in his third season. Jordan is limited offensively, but with Griffin getting most of the touches, all he needs to do is rebound (which he does well), block shots (which he does very well) and defend (which he is getting better at). A center has to leave L.A., but it's Chris Kaman, not Jordan, who is most likely on the move.

Glen Davis
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 4/10 Reason: We don't really need him. He did play center for the C's though.

'10-11 Stats: 11.7 ppg, 44.8 FG%, 73.6 FT%, 5.4 rpg
    SI: On one hand, Davis is a big, sharp-shooting power forward coming off his best statistical season. On the other, he's an immature 25-year-old who admitted he checked out mentally last postseason (only 4.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 21.3 minutes per game) and has had palpable friction with Celtics coach Doc Rivers. There is definitely a "Buyer Beware" sign dangling around Davis' neck, one that could keep an overflow of big-money offers from pouring in.

J.R. Smith
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 5/10 Reason: I like him alot, but we don't really need him. Attitude problems possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 12.3 ppg, 43.5 FG%, 2.2, apg, 4.1 rpg
    SI: There are a handful of teams (Chicago, Indiana, New York) on the lookout for a starting "2" guard, and Smith could fit the bill. He's streaky -- really streaky -- and his attitude and defensive indifference are causes for concern. But Smith has that I Can Give You 20 Points When I Want capability, and pure scorers who can do it inside and out are hard to find.

Grant Hill
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 1/10 Reason: He's 38.

'10-11 Stats: 13.2 ppg, 48.4 FG%, 39.5 3PT%, 4.2 rpg, 2.5 apg
    SI: Hill passed on offers from Boston and New York to re-sign with Phoenix in 2009 but with the Suns rebuilding, he may jump at another opportunity. Hill's injury history (multiple ankle surgeries) is a thing of the past -- he has played at least 80 games in each of the last three seasons, averaging 12.2 points on 49.5 percent shooting, 2.4 assists and 4.9 boards in that span. Toss in his leadership and many contenders will be knocking on his door.

Tayshaun Prince
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 7/10 Reason: Skilled Small Forward. Age possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 14.1 ppg, 47.3 FG%, 4.2 rpg, 2.8 apg
    SI: If anyone needs a change of scenery, it's Prince, who went from being a valuable contributor on Detroit's contending teams to a malcontent on a team trying to rebuild. Prince is durable and an excellent defender and his numbers last season suggest he has plenty of game left. He has been a winner before and in the right situation (Lakers perhaps, if they make a trade) he could contribute to a winner again.

Jamal Crawford
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 2/10 Reason: We've got the Brazillian version of him.

'10-11 Stats: 14.2 ppg, 42.1 FG%, 34.1 3PT%, 3.2 apg, 1.7 rpg
    SI: Crawford's numbers slipped from his 2009-10 Sixth Man of the Year season, an automatic warning sign for players on the other side of 30. But he gives defenders trouble off the dribble and still has a few 30-point nights left in him. If a team is willing to spend on an offensive weapon that plays no D, Crawford is your man.

Jeff Green
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 9/10 Reason:Versatile, Skilled Small Forward, still young. Restricted Free Agent possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 13.3 ppg, 44.9 FG%, 4.8 rpg, 1.4 apg
    SI: Meet David Lee of 2011. Green, whose weaknesses are magnified at $8 or $9 million a season, is the kind of player you love at $4 million per year. He doesn't really have a position -- he was a power forward in Oklahoma City who alternated between both forward spots in Boston -- and doesn't rebound all that well. For Celtics GM Danny Ainge, the question is this: Is Green a building block for the post-Big Three Era in Boston?

Wilson Chandler
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 9/10 Reason: See Jeff Green (above).

'10-11 Stats: 15.3 ppg, 45.0 FG%, 5.7 rpg, 1.3 bpg
    SI: Chandler's numbers took a dip when he was sent to Denver in the Carmelo Anthony trade, but that was partially due to a different system and the logjam at his position. Chandler is still a versatile scorer who can thrive at multiple positions in the right system. New York would love to lure him back while teams like Phoenix and Sacramento are stylistic fits.

Aaron Brooks
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 4/10 Reason: Don't need him. Restricted Free Agent.

'10-11 Stats: 10.7 ppg, 37.5 FG%, 29.7 3PT%, 88.6 FT% 3.9 apg
    SI: Brooks isn't much of a passer -- his 3.9 assists in 59 games were below the league average of 4.2 per game for guards last season -- and his moodiness was a problem in Houston. However, he is one year removed from being named the NBA's Most Improved Player and some of his struggles last season can be attributed to a changing role in Phoenix and a season-long battle with an ankle injury. Brooks' ideal team is one that doesn't need a point guard to be a pure point guard, such as Miami or the Lakers.

J.J. Barea
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 3/10 Reason: Good playoffs, but we don't need him. Size possible issue.

'10-11 Stats: 9.5 ppg, 43.9 FG%, 34.9 3PT%, 3.9 apg
    SI: Barea has carved out a nice niche for himself in Dallas, where he has thrived as a part-time starter and a super sub. His value peaked after a strong postseason performance wiped away any trace of doubt that the (listed) 6-foot guard can be an effective player on a championship team. Barea says he wants to stay in Dallas, but it remains to be seen if Cuban is willing to shell out big bucks to keep him.

Shane Battier
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 8/10 Reason: Brings alot on Defense. Great Role Model for young Players.

Age: 32 | 2010-11 Team: Rockets/Grizzlies | Position: SF
    '10-11 Stats: 7.6 ppg, 45.0 FG%, 38.2 3PT%, 4.5 rpg, 2.3 apg
    SI: Battier is versatile enough to fit in on any roster and thrive in any system. His steady play in Memphis raised his stock and the impending return of Rudy Gay makes Battier a strong candidate to relocate. Scouts think Battier's best situation is on a team with an established inside game (like Memphis and Houston) which would allow the steady shooting Battier to slide to his sweet spots in the corners. Orlando, anyone?

Caron Butler
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 6/10 Reason:Volume Scorer, decent defender. Plays Small Forward. Age, Injuries possible Issue.

'10-11 Stats: 15.0 ppg, 45.0 FG%, 43.1 3PT%, 4.1 rpg, 1.6 apg
    SI: Butler is starting to get tagged with the "injury prone" label (a ligament tear in his knee sidelined him for the second half of last season), which is never a good thing in a contract year. Still, Butler is a prototypical small forward who is just two years removed from a 20-point-per-game season. He's also a highly regarded locker-room leader that has handled some of the wildest situations (see Washington, 2008-09) with class and professionalism.

Arron Afflalo
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 5/10 Reason: We've got the SG position filled up. Like him alot though.

'10-11 Stats: 12.6 ppg, 49.8 FG%, 42.3 3PT%, 84.7 FT%, 2.4 apg
    SI: Once upon a (recent) time, Afflalo was little more than a defensive replacement and spot-up shooter. Now, he's a well-rounded "2" guard who looks poised to join the All-Star discussion next season. Lots of teams like him, including the Nuggets, which is why they've made bringing Afflalo back a top priority.

Samuel Dalembert
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: 6/10 Reason: Solid Big Man. Does his job. Possible Attitude problems(?)

'10-11 Stats: 8.1 ppg, 47.3 FG%, 8.2 rpg, 1.5 bpg
    SI: Is Dalembert a starting center on a team with high expectations for him? No. Is he a starting center on a team that just needs him to rebound, block shots and run the floor. Absolutely. Miami would love to wrestle him away from Sacramento, as would Boston, Houston and New York. Dalembert has a history of being a locker-room headache, but if he was willing to accept a reduced role, his value is still very high.

BEST OF THE REST: Carl Landry, Yao Ming, Kenyon Martin, Rodney Stuckey, Andrei Kirilenko, Marcus Thornton, Kris Humphries, Mario Chalmers, DeShawn Stevenson, Nick Young, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Greg Oden, Jonas Jerebko, Jeff Foster, Kwame Brown, Marco Belinelli, Tracy McGrady, Earl Clark, Mike Dunleavy.
    Raptors (Joeys) Interest: No to all of these guys. Maybe Oden.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:25 AM.

I wouldn't be interested in the majority of those players. Not that most aren't extremely talented players that would help out certain teams, but I really don't think a 22 win team without a legit All-Star should be throwing a lot of money at guys who aren't even perennial All-Stars themselves. I think that's a VERY dangerous thing for a lottery team to be doing.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

As a fellow countryman of Dan Gadzuric I'm a little hurt you didn't mention our great center. He'd be a good short term solution without comitting any serious money.

Battier is interesting as he'll bring a defensive mindset,intelligence and effort in preparation which this group has never seen.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        As a fellow countryman of Dan Gadzuric I'm a little hurt you didn't mention our great center. He'd be a good short term solution without comitting any serious money.

Battier is interesting as he'll bring a defensive mindset,intelligence and effort in preparation which this group has never seen.
        I think Gadzuric would be a good choice, as well. On a side note, I always felt he could have been a better pro. He seemed to have a lot of potential when he started at UCLA, but he never really developed as much as he could have, there.

As for Battier, I'm too big a fan of his to want to see him on the Raptors. He's a guy that needs to be a contender, for once. Maybe Dallas or even the Lakers. Him being on the Raptors at this point would be a waste of his talents.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't be interested in the majority of those players. Not that most aren't extremely talented players that would help out certain teams, but I really don't think a 22 win team without a legit All-Star should be throwing a lot of money at guys who aren't even perennial All-Stars themselves. I think that's a VERY dangerous thing for a lottery team to be doing.
          But does that 22-win team not need to start somewhere? And is it not in the teams best interests to add young, inexpensive talent (keep in mind, the new CBA will likely be 'cheapest' in its first year.). I think if we could get Marc Gasol, Thaddeus Young, Jeff Green or Deandre Jordan, would they not fit perfectly in with a young, developing core?

I understand your concerns, but I don't think one has to look at wins and losses to figure out whether its benefitial to add Young, Athletic, Potential-laiden players, at what will likely be the cheapest price available until the next CBA is negotiated and players give up even more.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            But does that 22-win team not need to start somewhere? And is it not in the teams best interests to add young, inexpensive talent (keep in mind, the new CBA will likely be 'cheapest' in its first year.). I think if we could get Marc Gasol, Thaddeus Young, Jeff Green or Deandre Jordan, would they not fit perfectly in with a young, developing core?

I understand your concerns, but I don't think one has to look at wins and losses to figure out whether its benefitial to add Young, Athletic, Potential-laiden players, at what will likely be the cheapest price available until the next CBA is negotiated and players give up even more.
            Agree with Tim on this one. We don't even have one player in the entire system (perhaps Jonazz - wishfully thinking) who could become top 5 at his position. Until then, we are in asset accumulation mode. Free agency is generally the most expensive way to accumulate assets 'with potential' (see: Yogi Stewart). Trading and drafting is 'usually' much more cost effective. I think we need to be accumulating more draft picks for 2012.

Comment

the two nugget boys not named nene interest me, as does deandre and battier. that's it, though.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

AK47

We need him here.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Agree with Tim on this one. We don't even have one player in the entire system (perhaps Jonazz - wishfully thinking) who could become top 5 at his position.
                  This maybe true, but I can't imagine we're making any changes to the Starting SG position. Nor will we be making many major changes at the PF position. At least in terms of bringing in an Outsider as a Starter. Jonas may hold down the 5 in the future, but until that time, we need someone to man the position, and ultimately back Jonas up.

We may not have 'Top 5' talent, but we have potential at most positions; potential that is likely to flourish, or be given the chance to flourish, in the coming seasons.

Therefore, there are only a couple of positions (Small Forward and Center - possibly PG) that we would seriously be looking to Accumulate Assets, of which, could supplant our 2010-11 Starter.

golden wrote: View Post
                  Until then, we are in asset accumulation mode. Free agency is generally the most expensive way to accumulate assets 'with potential' (see: Yogi Stewart). Trading and drafting is 'usually' much more cost effective. I think we need to be accumulating more draft picks for 2012.
                  I agree that signing Free Agents isn't the only way to accumlate assets, but when it is likely that very few teams will be shopping Centers that are as Young and Skilled as Deandre Jordan/ Marc Gasol, then you must sign them if you want them.
                  When it is unlikely that any Team would shop a Small Forward oozing with Talent and Potential like Thad Young and Jeff Green, then you must sign them if you want them.

And as I stated earlier, with the new CBA likely to impede upon an Owners want to overpay players, it is likely that this year is the best time to be a Buyer.

Comment

With Amir, Ed and Andrea in town I don't think they have any need/interest in David West.

Comment

There's plenty of players on that list who I'd like to see in a Raptors uniform, but the issue is what type of price you'll have to pay to acquire them. I think we're much better served preserving our financial flexiblity in the hopes of getting a nice asset or two from a cash strapped team next year at the deadline (or at the draft) then we are overpaying for a player this summer just because we have the money.

Comment

That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have Marc Gasol, but with Memphis on record as saying that they're going to match any offer, we're looking at a situation where we'll have to grossly overpay to get him in Toronto.

Comment

Doesn't that in turn mean that Memphis will grossly overpay him?
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Nice stuff Joey. Very insightful!
                            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

I'd rather have Wilson Chandler than Thad Young for the same amount of money... just a personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X