Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports Illustrated Top 20 Free Agents 2011: Raptors (Joeys) Likely Interest Level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I fully agree Jimmie, that we don't NEED to do anything.
    But I don't believe James Johnson or Kleiza are the Final Answer for our SF problem, so if a solution to that problem can be done now, while there are good, young pieces to satisfy that, then we should, in my opinion.

I think brining in a guy like Thad Young and Wilson Chandler, who are still very young, and whos potential is still seen as quite high, would provide us another Piece to add to our developing core.
    I prefer to wait to do ANYTHING until next summer. Then the Raptors will know who they have drafted, who they might be able to sign or trade for with their cap room (if they want to) and hopefully who they'll get in return for Bargnani. I simply don't see the point of signing anyone who'll make an impact right now other than pleasing the fans who just want to be entertained (sorry, Hugmenot).
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I guess the question is, do you see Thad Young (at the ~6-8M/yr that he'll likely get) or Wilson Chandler (who's stuck in China, I think, and would likely get ~7-9M on the FA market) are long-term answers at SF over a bigger-name FA next summer, or one of the top-tier draft choices in the 2012 draft?

I don't see that for either player, or any of the other 2011 FA options. Would rather stick with what we have, see what it's worth, and use ALL the flexibility possible NEXT summer...
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        I prefer to wait to do ANYTHING until next summer. Then the Raptors will know who they have drafted, who they might be able to sign or trade for with their cap room (if they want to) and hopefully who they'll get in return for Bargnani. I simply don't see the point of signing anyone who'll make an impact right now other than pleasing the fans who just want to be entertained (sorry, Hugmenot).
        I fully agree that one of the better courses of action for the club is allow the current group to 'suck' this year, and acquire another good pick. I get that, and am fine with it.

But, I also look at it as alot of these young, Good, high-ceilinged guys will not be available next summer, and IF a Thad Young or Wilson Chandler can be had, for reasonable contracts, it would be silly of us to not explore it.

Hell sign them, and get them to fake an injury for the season. Either way. haha
        If we can't get Barnes (lesser extent PJ3 or QM), we will want to have one of those two shoring up the 3 spot for us in a couple years.
        Might as well sign them now IF we can.
        Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 30, 2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

jimmie did u say brain scalabrine? lol hell no man not in a million years. I'm looking at decent players like:

- Aaron Gray
          - Reggie evans(Re-sign)
          - Jeff Foster
          - Jason Collins
          - Etan Thomas
          - Joel Przybilla
          - Dominique Maguire
          - Deshawn Stevenson
          - Gary forbes
          - DaJuan Summers
          - Al thornton
          - Jamaal Magloire
          - Jason smith
          - Shawne williams
          - Tony Battie
          - Francisco Elson
          - Maurice evans
          - Josh howard

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            jimmie did u say brain scalabrine? lol hell no man not in a million years. I'm looking at decent players like:

- Aaron Gray
            - Reggie evans(Re-sign)
            - Jeff Foster
            - Jason Collins
            - Etan Thomas
            - Joel Przybilla
            - Dominique Maguire
            - Deshawn Stevenson
            - Gary forbes
            - DaJuan Summers
            - Al thornton
            - Jamaal Magloire
            - Jason smith
            - Shawne williams
            - Tony Battie
            - Francisco Elson
            - Maurice evans
            - Josh howard
            Really? I'm taling about not overpaying for a player who isn't in the long-term (3-5 years from now) plans. Anyone who is a "decent player" is going to want a shot to contribute on the floor. Scalabrine is exactly the Bonner-lite type guy Toronto needs on a minimum contract of short duration. You're not getting guys like Thornton or Howard with those parameters, and I actually don't see much value in any of the other guys on your list (other than Reggie, who I also said they should try to re-sign first, before even looking at anyone else).

My point is that they need to be looking at guys who won't take away PT from the core young guys (and won't get sour about it) and who can contribute in other ways: hard-nosed practice bodies to challenge the younger players, set a good example in the lockerroom, be an extra coach's voice among the players, etc. They shouldn't be looking for their next starter at SF or C in this year's free agency, or even a significant backup player. It's just not the right time in the evolution of this roster yet.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
              Really? I'm taling about not overpaying for a player who isn't in the long-term (3-5 years from now) plans. Anyone who is a "decent player" is going to want a shot to contribute on the floor. Scalabrine is exactly the Bonner-lite type guy Toronto needs on a minimum contract of short duration. You're not getting guys like Thornton or Howard with those parameters, and I actually don't see much value in any of the other guys on your list (other than Reggie, who I also said they should try to re-sign first, before even looking at anyone else).

My point is that they need to be looking at guys who won't take away PT from the core young guys (and won't get sour about it) and who can contribute in other ways: hard-nosed practice bodies to challenge the younger players, set a good example in the lockerroom, be an extra coach's voice among the players, etc. They shouldn't be looking for their next starter at SF or C in this year's free agency, or even a significant backup player. It's just not the right time in the evolution of this roster yet.
              Excellent point. Can't agree more.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Excellent point. Can't agree more.
                This one was funny. I read a lot of the forum on my mobile phone, at night or during a break at work. On the interface I read the post(s) first and afterwards have to scroll to see who the poster is. So it has become a game for me to guess the poster. After the post by jimmie I looked at the name of the poster and thought 'really? this wasn't Tim?' I guess that's what Tim thought was well.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                  This one was funny. I read a lot of the forum on my mobile phone, at night or during a break at work. On the interface I read the post(s) first and afterwards have to scroll to see who the poster is. So it has become a game for me to guess the poster. After the post by jimmie I looked at the name of the poster and thought 'really? this wasn't Tim?' I guess that's what Tim thought was well.
                  Coincidentally enough, quite a few years ago, I used to go by the name Jimmy Chitwood on the Hoopsworld forum. Maybe I'm still posting under that name, but don't know it.

Plus, the voice keeps telling me to do things that I KNOW are wrong, but the only way I can shut it up is to do it.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I agree with jimmie in principle. But I also believe that Wilson Chandler is a very underrated player, and could easily be the starting SF on a contending team. He does a lot of things well without needing the ball in his hands 24/7. If I were Colangelo, I would make some calls about Chandler's availability.

As for the other Chandler (i.e. Tyson), stay the hell away from him!

Comment

• Tim and I *do* tend to agree on a lot of things about the Raptors; the main difference is that I don't have the same abject frustration with Bargnani that Tim has. I understand it, but I don't completely share it; I think I'm a lot more easy-going with my Raptors fandom than he is. ;-)

Other than that, I'd put Tim in the "clear-headed, rational" category where I also like to imagine myself. Not surprised we share the same views about how to develop a winning team in the long term.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        Tim and I *do* tend to agree on a lot of things about the Raptors; the main difference is that I don't have the same abject frustration with Bargnani that Tim has. I understand it, but I don't completely share it; I think I'm a lot more easy-going with my Raptors fandom than he is. ;-)

Other than that, I'd put Tim in the "clear-headed, rational" category where I also like to imagine myself. Not surprised we share the same views about how to develop a winning team in the long term.
                        I think there are quite a few like you on this forum.

Comment

Tim and I *do* tend to agree on a lot of things about the Raptors; the main difference is that I don't have the same abject frustration with Bargnani that Tim has. I understand it, but I don't completely share it; I think I'm a lot more easy-going with my Raptors fandom than he is. ;-)

I like to think of my Raptor fandom as passionate. The funny thing is that generally I'm an incredibly easy going person. I just pick my spots.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

you wouldn't have to overpay anyone on that list. Scalabrine hasn't done anything in his career, he's rated as one of the worst players in nba history what can he do for this team? i put down vets and young players who we'll be able to sign for cheap to fill out the roster. Right now we need a decent C for 1 or 2 years, preferably a veteran(Jason collins, jeff foster or Kurt thomas), we need a backup SF(shawne williams, Dominic maguire or DaJuan Summers).

Comment

Working...
                            X