No announcement yet.

50 Most Dubious Moments in Raptors History - The Flagrancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about "Cool like Ice" but Hedo deserves at least one spot on any revised list. He and Bosh deserve top twenty spots.

Comment

The Hedo signing and the Jermaine O'Neal saga would both be on an updated list. The Jermaine O'Neal deal fits perfectly because, not only was the trade a failure, the trade to get rid of him allowed Miami to have enough cap space to sign Bosh. That's classic Raptors right there.

Wouldn't you also have to include that MoPete shot in Washington? If he misses that, the Raptors likely end up playing an injury-riddled Wizards team in the first round that year and move on to the second round. Instead, they wind up playing the veteran Nets and go out in 6. That's something that could only happen to the Raps.

Comment

I don't think it's the Hedo signing, I think it's Hedo's actions. When they signed the guy he had just had a career year and was a focal point on a team that went deep. It was a bad signing, no doubt in hindsight, but if Hedo had shown up and given the effort he gave the Magic he wouldn't be hated in Toronto and might still be playing here. We didn't know what we were in for.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Ooo or the time the ACC gave out Raptors (New Jersey Nets) Red T-Shirts. hahah That was brutal.
          LOL!! i was at that game.. we were so stoked to luck our way into playoff tickets... and then we saw NJ's uniforms and it completely deflated all our energy

Comment

#53 Raptors hire rookie coach as their franchise player's contract expires
            #52 Point guard wars - TJ vs Jose
            #51 Raptors uses #1 pick on unknown italian bigman Andrea Bargnani

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I don't think it's the Hedo signing, I think it's Hedo's actions. When they signed the guy he had just had a career year and was a focal point on a team that went deep. It was a bad signing, no doubt in hindsight, but if Hedo had shown up and given the effort he gave the Magic he wouldn't be hated in Toronto and might still be playing here. We didn't know what we were in for.
              +1
              i think we all forget the fact that Hedo was actually a good player before he missed camp and showed up as a Raptor out of shape.
              he wasnt a superstar, but i bet if he played the way he did before he initially left orlando, he wouldve made bosh look very good.

Comment

couple i don't get:
                atl game
                nelly concert
                new era marketing

pls explain
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i'll admit i was excited about hedo, shamefully. didn't take long to realize the mistake though.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I got burnt by Hedo too... I was the calming voice that said this man has what it takes give him time.

The crow tasted bad on that one, and the better part of me wanted to make fun of him cause he was euro, but the basketball purist in me sold me on Hedo... and here we are. Just goes to show you, regardless of euro/NA players need to be pushed and they need to be in a competitive environment.

Hedo on a team filled with killers and winners, probably would have made the winning basket 8/10, on our club of slackers and group thinkers, he was content eating slices with Jay and taking it easy (I know its a commercial, still think its funny, and cheesy, pun intended).

It's the environment. Guys like Hedo and Marion need the environment as much as the environment needs their talent.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Mon Jul 18, 2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I was anti-Hedo the moment that deal went down. I realize most people were being optimistic (or just plain stupid)...but it was obvious that he wasn't the answer we needed on this team, even if he gave the effort we still wouldn't go anywhere.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        couple i don't get:
                        atl game
                        nelly concert
                        new era marketing

pls explain
                        From the excerpts:

RE: Toronto vs. Atlanta:
                        December 2nd, 2005: Toronto Raptors vs Atlanta Hawks
                        At the time this game was played the Raptors had a 1-15 records while the Hawks were 2-12. According to the Elias Sports Bureau the combined .100 winning percentage of both teams was the worst is NBA history for opponents who had totalled at least 30 games. Better yet, ESPN announced that it was the worst match-up of all-time. For fans of the Toronto Raptors it was the moment when we realized that we were now cheering for a franchise that had become a running joke.
                        RE: The Nelly Concert:
                        November 2002: Vince Carter Rehabs Knee at Nelly Concert

Hindsight is a bitch. You don't have it when you need it, and when you get it, it's too late. Such is the case of Vince Carter at the Nelly concert. Early in the 2002-2003 season, Carter was supposed to be at home rehabilitating his surgically repaired knee, when he popped up on stage with Nelly, dancing during the rapper's concert in Toronto. Meanwhile, the undermanned Raptors were getting blown out in Atlanta by the Hawks.
                        RE: 'New Era' Marketing:
                        As the 2005/2006 NBA season approached the crack Toronto Raptors marketing team (the same team that brought you "Fire Guy") was cooking up an ingenious campaign to put the asses in the seats. After several seasons of different variations on "Come See Vince Dunk*" the team was forced into brainstorming a little harder as VC was no longer around. Who could they market to the fans? Who could put the asses in the seats?

Jalen Rose?
                        Nope, too likely to be traded.

Chris Bosh?
                        Let's not put too much pressure on those slender shoulders.

Mo-Pete?
                        Ummm, let's save him for the STD awareness campaign.

Things were looking grim for the marketing team but then inspiration struck... let's feature Raptor Management -- Sam Mitchell, Rob Babcock and Wayne Embry -- the braintrust to lead us into this "New Era" of the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                        X