Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Promising Front courts

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20415

Nice to see JV and Big Ed at least getting some notoriety. Especially with Jonas not playing an NBA minute and ED just completing his rookie season.

Something to look forward to i guess...

Jonas Valanciunas (R) and Andrea Bargnani (5), Toronto Raptors– Valanciunas is going to be an amazing NBA player someday, which is why he's worth mentioning on this list, but technically by the time he's able to play in the NBA, Bargnani will probably have six years of experience instead of five, thereby disqualifying this particular duo from my list. Pair up Valanciunas and Ed Davis, however, and we might have something.

I don't understand why Dwayne Casey has given "shout outs" to DeRozan, Bargnani and others but he's avoided speaking on Ed David like the topic will give him the plague. Ed Davis seems like the perfect fit for Casey's system. He's one of the few players on roster who could play like he did last season(effort and toughness) and probably meet Casey's expectations. Yet here we are with no real mention of the young, aspiring standout PF. Ed is a double double type big with all-defense potential. I don't get it. Maybe he's on the block and they're going to try and flip him for a young standout wing?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I don't understand why Dwayne Casey has given "shout outs" to DeRozan, Bargnani and others but he's avoided speaking on Ed David like the topic will give him the plague. Ed Davis seems like the perfect fit for Casey's system. He's one of the few players on roster who could play like he did last season(effort and toughness) and probably meet Casey's expectations. Yet here we are with no real mention of the young, aspiring standout PF. Ed is a double double type big with all-defense potential. I don't get it. Maybe he's on the block and they're going to try and flip him for a young standout wing?
      I agree with what was said in other threads; Casey probably didn't see much of Davis. He did play twice against Dallas, but all his games were at the end of the season and maybe only two or three were against possible playoff opponents of Dallas so he probably really didn't see much of Davis.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        I agree with what was said in other threads; Casey probably didn't see much of Davis. He did play twice against Dallas, but all his games were at the end of the season and maybe only two or three were against possible playoff opponents of Dallas so he probably really didn't see much of Davis.
        That's what I think it is. The other thing is that Casey knows Derozen personnally from some summer work he did with him and has seen what Bargs can do for years. Bargs in particular has always recieved a lot of respect form Maverick players in interviews, particularily from Dirk. The same sort of idea goes for Jose, who has been talked up a bit. Ed has been in the NBA half a season and in that half a season had about 3 plays run for him, so it could be that Casey doesn't know where he's going to end up. He also never mentions Alabi, for example, becasue he doesn't know what the kid is about either. Give Casey some time to see what Ed can do and I'm sure his name will start popping up.

I'd say the Kings and the Jazz also have much more promising front courts than the Wizards. For one Vesely was projected as being a possible 3 and for two JaVale Mcgee is a terrible decision maker.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
          I'd say the Kings and the Jazz also have much more promising front courts than the Wizards. For one Vesely was projected as being a possible 3 and for two JaVale Mcgee is a terrible decision maker.
          Originally they probably had Mcgee outside of the top 5. I guess Mcgee complained, like about his rating in NBA 2K11 (http://twitter.com/#!/JaValeMcGee34/status/25356477314) and they upped him into the number 5 spot like they upped his rating (to the 6th worst center - btw way below Bargnani) in NBA 2K11 with 5 points.
          Last edited by Soft Euro; Mon Jul 18, 2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            That's what I think it is. The other thing is that Casey knows Derozen personnally from some summer work he did with him and has seen what Bargs can do for years. Bargs in particular has always recieved a lot of respect form Maverick players in interviews, particularily from Dirk. The same sort of idea goes for Jose, who has been talked up a bit. Ed has been in the NBA half a season and in that half a season had about 3 plays run for him, so it could be that Casey doesn't know where he's going to end up. He also never mentions Alabi, for example, becasue he doesn't know what the kid is about either. Give Casey some time to see what Ed can do and I'm sure his name will start popping up.

He also has Jerebko and Monroe as possibles and with Jonas having 1 year experience. Jerebko will be entering his 3rd year, coming off an injury and play's the 3 so take the article with a grain of salt.

Realistically it should be Dre and Davis at the 4 spot on the list in my eyes as I see them as a better pairing the that of the Pacers.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
              He also has Jerebko and Monroe as possibles and with Jonas having 1 year experience. Jerebko will be entering his 3rd year, coming off an injury and play's the 3 so take the article with a grain of salt.

Realistically it should be Dre and Davis at the 4 spot on the list in my eyes as I see them as a better pairing the that of the Pacers.
              Though I do agree this list is a little subjective; Jerebko didn't play at all last season, thus keeping him as a Freshman, going into his Sophomore season.

And when he did play, he started with Prince at the 3, and himself at the 4.

The thing that makes me slightly iffy on this list is the fact thats its Hoopsworld.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Though I do agree this list is a little subjective; Jerebko didn't play at all last season, thus keeping him as a Freshman, going into his Sophomore season.

The thing that makes me slightly iffy on this list is the fact thats its Hoopsworld.
                Yes, the last few months seems to have become more tabloid than fact based.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  It strikes me as odd as well. One can only hope the true thoughts are kept behind closed doors. Raps fans did not hear much about JV from BC until a day or two before the draft - hopefully he and Casey are doing the same thing again with the lack of ED talk.

Regardless, I feel very confident saying one of ED or Bargnani will be traded before the 2012-13 season i.e. before JV arrives.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

I understand he missed the season season but Joel also has Oden as 3 seasons of experience if he was using that method of though it should be 2. I just don't think his articles are well thought out and are always bias towards Chicago and usually negative towards TO.

That year with him starting at the 4 I think was more to do with lack of talent/depth then his natural position. He's capable of playing minutes at the 4 but is better served at the 3. If they has another decent big outside of Monroe (CV is too inconsistent and best served in a bench role) he would probably very rarely see minutes at the 4.

Comment

Whether or not we get talked about in the press, I think we should be excited for the future of our bigs.

Comment

Vesely and McGee is going to be jimmer/evans level of hilariousness on the defensive end
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                        X