DeMar DeRozan's Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMar DeRozan's Potential

here's an article i found on hoopsvibe. http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/fl...zans-potential

this guy has some valid points, but i still think DeMar has time to improve his ISO game.

Here's another article

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...demar-derozan/

its a few months old but still a good read. I think Demar's on his way to becoming a great player in this league, i could see him as a top 10 SG in the NBA.
    Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Fri Jul 29, 2011, 12:09 AM.

One thing we can all agree on is that DeRozan has more potential to be a star in the NBA than Master P had in the rap game.. Or in anything for that matter.

Comment

The website look like it was designed in the late 90s and the the writer reads like he's still in high school. Other than that...well, that's about it, I guess.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        The website look like it was designed in the late 90s and the the writer reads like he's still in high school. Other than that...well, that's about it, I guess.
        My favorite part of this article (and I use that term loosely) was the part where the author says something like, 70 percent of his mid range jump shots were assisted which proves that he can't play one on one.

fantastic.

Why would any team want to create open jump shots for each other with ball movement, when you can work harder by over-dribbling the ball.

Too much playstation basketball.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
          My favorite part of this article (and I use that term loosely) was the part where the author says something like, 70 percent of his mid range jump shots were assisted which proves that he can't play one on one.

fantastic.

Why would any team want to create open jump shots for each other with ball movement, when you can work harder by over-dribbling the ball.

Too much playstation basketball.
          Good point.

I guess by this same logic Rip Hamilton was not a good offensive player receiving the ball running off all those screens for mid-range jumpers. He really should have pounded the piss out of the ball until his teammates ran to the other side of the court and his defender got sleepy.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Good point.

I guess by this same logic Rip Hamilton was not a good offensive player receiving the ball running off all those screens for mid-range jumpers. He really should have pounded the piss out of the ball until his teammates ran to the other side of the court and his defender got sleepy.
            Or Reggie Miller ... he must have been awful, based on these stats ... and those stupid PG's finding people in good spots, ruining their ISO stats!!! The nerve.
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

This was a really good article...

For me to poop on.

Comment

25, 5 and 3...... would be incredible but seems unlikely.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                  25, 5 and 3...... would be incredible but seems unlikely.
                  There's not a lot in that article that I'd take seriously.

Comment

the article reads like something one of the slow kids in my journalism class would have wrote and we'd all laugh at in the media room
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ya the first article was kinda stupid i'll admit, but what can i say there isn't many things to talk about raptors related. Its a slow news day(or month)

Comment

One of the downsides to summer and in a lockout....plenty of uninspiring reading on the subject. Even Arse is having trouble on choosing topics...not that I blame him. But a combination of lack of subjects as well as bad writing can be lethal.

Comment

Everything in the first article in correct except the last paragraph.

Isolation skills cannot be improved at this level. That is something that is grown with the player since elementary school days. No one improves in that area at the pro level. I’ve never seen it. Players such as Jordan, Kobe, Rose, Wade, and Iverson do not get better with the creativity of their handles and separation ability to manufacture points. Instead, they just get smarter.
                          That's exactly right, point by point, right down the line. I would extend that to every other skill, such as shooting, passing, rebounding, defense et al. NBA players tend to improve slightly every year until they're around 30, and then they decline slightly every year thereafter. Bill James says MLB hitters don't learn how to hit at the major league level. They learn in the minors. NBA players do not learn elite skills in the league itself. They develop those skills as very young people and then carry them forward, refining them each step along the way. This means DDR is nothing more than an average player, and that's all he will ever be.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                            Everything in the first article in correct except the last paragraph.

That's exactly right, point by point, right down the line. I would extend that to every other skill, such as shooting, passing, rebounding, defense et al. NBA players tend to improve slightly every year until they're around 30, and then they decline slightly every year thereafter. Bill James says MLB hitters don't learn how to hit at the major league level. They learn in the minors. NBA players do not learn elite skills in the league itself. They develop those skills as very young people and then carry them forward, refining them each step along the way. This means DDR is nothing more than an average player, and that's all he will ever be.
                            Disagree. Completely.

You say "NBA players tend to improve slightly every year until they're around 30, and then they decline.."
                            Demar Derozan is only 21 years old.
                            According to your 'stat', he still has 9 years of improvement.

And seeing as he is already an elite level athlete, with a very obvious above average scoring ability, I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. He is an average man to man defender, but with his athletic abilities, he has a far more likely chance of utilizing that and refining said defensive deficiencies. His jump shot has already shown massive improvement, to the point where is already average-above average, and with his drive and determination, there is NOTHING stopping that jump shot from becoming DEADLY.

If you watch clips of him in High School and College, you will see a very clear above average ability to take his man one on one. Thus, he has already developed said ability, and merely needs to "refine it" for the NBA level. Because he is only 21, and still learning his trade, he has not been able to apply said skill yet, but it will come with confidence and comfort on the court.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Disagree. Completely.

You say "NBA players tend to improve slightly every year until they're around 30, and then they decline.."
                              Demar Derozan is only 21 years old.
                              According to your 'stat', he still has 9 years of improvement.

And seeing as he is already an elite level athlete, with a very obvious above average scoring ability, I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. He is an average man to man defender, but with his athletic abilities, he has a far more likely chance of utilizing that and refining said defensive deficiencies. His jump shot has already shown massive improvement, to the point where is already average-above average, and with his drive and determination, there is NOTHING stopping that jump shot from becoming DEADLY.

If you watch clips of him in High School and College, you will see a very clear above average ability to take his man one on one. Thus, he has already developed said ability, and merely needs to "refine it" for the NBA level. Because he is only 21, and still learning his trade, he has not been able to apply said skill yet, but it will come with confidence and comfort on the court.
                              he actually never had the chance to this season cause of bargnani. I think next season we will see more plays run for demar and we will probably see the ball in his hands in late game situations. Hopefully he turns out more like D wade in the clutch, not Lechoke James.

Comment

Working...
                              X