No announcement yet.

Stefanski, Bower, Lindsey and Pritchard all Candidates for Raptors GM Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stefanski, Bower, Lindsey and Pritchard all Candidates for Raptors GM Position

Team president Bryan Colangelo was in Europe last week and won't start whittling down his group of candidates until the middle of the month. Sixers GM Ed Stefanski, former Hornets GM and coach Jeff Bower and Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are among the candidates, but former Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard is also believed to be in the hunt and is a strong candidate.
    Source: NBA.com

Looks like there are some very interesting names on the radar.

What did I miss? I thought Pritchard was already hired by the Pacers?

Comment

Same article:
      Pritchard took a player personnel job with the Pacers earlier this summer, but has an out in his deal that would allow him to leave if a GM job became available.

Comment

If Pritchard's fall from grace has taught him anything, I would not mind his addition to the front office. He is certainly creative when it comes to trades and he does not have a history of signing bad contracts (Roy deal was all Allen from my understanding). However, it will be interesting to see how he does without an owner willing to buy multiple draft picks any given year.

Comment

It may be so but the comment triggered this memory of something I posted in another thread months ago:

When the Blazers started talks on Roy’s contract extension in the summer of 2009, franchise owner Paul Allen pushed for multiple contingencies to protect the organization. Nevertheless, then-GM Kevin Pritchard couldn’t handle the criticism in the Portland public and media, and eventually caved with an $82 million extension with only limited non-guaranteed money in the contract’s final year. The Blazers should’ve challenged Roy to try restricted free agency, but they didn’t have the stomach to fight that PR battle.
          Source: Yahoo Sports

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            It may be so but the comment triggered this memory of something I posted in another thread months ago:

Source: Yahoo Sports
            Ooops. I stand corrected.

Comment

pritchard should get hired
              ya dun noe

Comment

I would be very okay with Pritchard stepping in.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Ooops. I stand corrected.
                  He would still be a good option none the less. I think the new GM is more or less going to be Colangelo's "roadie". He'll go do the prep work.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't see it. Why is Pritchard a good candidate? Looking at his history, I don't see any major deals or acquisitions. If anything the controversial resigning of Roy stands out as a problem:

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._pritchard.htm

I would be looking for a GM that can be a good draft mover and shaker, or a GM that can sign lucrative contracts. I'm not sure I see that with Pritchard. Also he had issues with the ownership in Portland. Who's to say that he wouldn't have the same issues with Bryan and the future owner of the organization.

As for Stefanski - my biggest beef is he resigned AI. That one move makes me think he has no idea what he's doing.

If Bryan is really looking for a "roadie" then he should go after someone that is younger and has less experience. Someone like Lindsey maybe.

Comment

Pritchard was the darling of the league only a couple years ago.

Comment

Well he was just hired on by Indiana not too long ago, and will be reporting to GM David Morway.
                        However, they arranged the deal so that either side can walk away at any time. I guess Pritchard felt that maybe something bigger and better might come along?

For me, Pritchard was far too concerned with the small, petty, ridiculous things, that do not necessarily lend themselves to successful basketball. He is NOT held in high regards around the league ever since he went around asking guys what they were paid, and openly mocking/criticized Paul Allen on numerous occurences. He was always concerned with what the Meida thought about him, and what light he was being shown in. Thats why he signed Roy to the contract he did. The Media were getting on his case, and instead of doing the right thing and continuing to hold out, he caved for fear of having negative things written about him. I'll pass.

Comment

My own take on this "gm hire" is that it is a position in name mostly (and probably dollars). I dont see BC giving up the last word on any basketball decisions especially the big ones so what do we have here then? I believe it is to help in the area of player evaluation both in the drafting stage as well as the free agent and trading stages of player acquisition. BC has done "ok" on his draft picks in the first round but next to nothing in the 2nd or off the scrap heap. His trades and f/a's as well have been less than desired. So, if he is introspective enough he would make talent recognition a primary quality in the new hire with of course connections within the league. I think Pritchard has these. He may not win any awards for personality restraint or self promotion but he is the background guy and BC can feed off his personnel skills, it would be a good thing. This is a guy who traded for Roy on draft day, drafted Batum, traded for Aldridge on draft day etc. I admit I dont know anything about Lindsey in the personnel area. Stefanski does not impress.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            My own take on this "gm hire" is that it is a position in name mostly (and probably dollars). I dont see BC giving up the last word on any basketball decisions especially the big ones so what do we have here then? I believe it is to help in the area of player evaluation both in the drafting stage as well as the free agent and trading stages of player acquisition. BC has done "ok" on his draft picks in the first round but next to nothing in the 2nd or off the scrap heap. His trades and f/a's as well have been less than desired. So, if he is introspective enough he would make talent recognition a primary quality in the new hire with of course connections within the league. I think Pritchard has these. He may not win any awards for personality restraint or self promotion but he is the background guy and BC can feed off his personnel skills, it would be a good thing. This is a guy who traded for Roy on draft day, drafted Batum, traded for Aldridge on draft day etc. I admit I dont know anything about Lindsey in the personnel area. Stefanski does not impress.
                            I fully agree that BC will retain much of the same role/power that he currently holds, and is not likely to 'answer' to guy he hires.
                            That being said, I don't see Pritchard as the type of guy that BC brings in to whisper sweet nothings in his ear. And Pritchard isn't the type of guy to play butler to another Exec. Pritchards Ego is far too large for a role like that. Where he goes, he wants to BE the Colangelo. He wants to be the guy who wins 'Executive of the year', and get's all the "What a great move" from the Media. He LONGS for that recognition.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              That being said, I don't see Pritchard as the type of guy that BC brings in to whisper sweet nothings in his ear.
                              I don't think that's it at all. I think the whole point of this is to free up more time. Right now Colangelo is doing two highly demanding executive jobs. I think the new GM will be given a directive and he will then go to work while always answering to Colangelo before anything is triggered. I feel Colangelo will still have a very strong voice and final say but I feel this move is meant to A.) reduce workload and B.) distance publicly distance himself from "front line" decision making and perhaps increase longevity in the organization.

Comment

Working...
                              X