Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors so high on Alabi that they may not target a FA center?(OLD THREAD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors so high on Alabi that they may not target a FA center?(OLD THREAD)

Charles in Brampton:
    Hey steve, what do you think about the raptors future? Who do you think they should target as a centre, considering Jonas will be there in a year?

Steve Kyler:
    They already targeted their center... Solomon Alabi... he killed it in their min-camp in June and he really started to come around.

I talked with some people at the Raptors camp, and they said hands down Solomon was the best player there.

Dwyane Casey really likes him and he will get a real chance. Not saying they won't look to bring in bigs, but they think they have a possible starter in Solo and with Bargs and Ed Davis able to play the 5 spot, they may not have the gap you think they do.

Also keep in mind Solo was drafted after coming off knee surgery, he really didn't get healed until mid-season and Jay Triano just wouldn't play him -- Casey seems like he's open to playing him.
    Source: Hoopsworld.com

Solo... Starting? :O

Comment

Huh ... interesting.

Comment

I dont think he should be starting but i do expect him to get minutes. From what ive heard he seems to have made major improvements.

Comment

Who cares let him start. I wanna see a frontcourt of Solo and Ed, I think it might just be a decent one.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

This is the third time I've read a report this summer that Alabi may be a decent player next season. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about this. Having a 7'1", 250 lbs center with good length showing some improvment is always nice. My question is, if Solo is actually good enough to start at the end of next season (I'm skepticle) what happens with Jonas?
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Alabi was widely projected as a Top 20 pick.
              Some had him going as high as 14th.
              That's one pick after we got Ed Davis.

If he can start to show even half of what Scouts saw before his injury, he could absolutely be a legit Starter in the league.

7'-1", 250lbs is nothing to snicker at.
              Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 2, 2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I have been pulling for Solo 100% I hope he gets decent shot next season. Here is some footage of him in the D League. Gotta love the passion.

We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Nothing happens w/ JV he'll get his minutes as a rookie. IF he is able to equal or surpass Alabi, then alabi goes to the bench to is used in a trade.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    This is the third time I've read a report this summer that Alabi may be a decent player next season. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about this. Having a 7'1", 250 lbs center with good length showing some improvment is always nice. My question is, if Solo is actually good enough to start at the end of next season (I'm skepticle) what happens with Jonas?
                    You bring him over and thank your lucky stars you have so much depth. JV is going to take time to get used to the NBA and he still has a lot of developing to do.

Comment

Besides, we don't know who are going to develop into good players. Jonas could play PF as well assuming he develops a jumper (which i doubt Alabi will do). With a lot of ifs in the development department ... a frontcourt with Alabi and Valanciunas would be downright scary with a combined wingspan of about 14'11''.

Comment

all of sudden raptors front court is STACKED.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

only Bargnani and Davis were mentioned as PFs, could Amir be on the out?

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                            only Bargnani and Davis were mentioned as PFs, could Amir be on the out?
                            It's not someone from the raptors and Bargnani/Davis were mentioned as being able to play the 5 spot. No talk about the PF.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              downright scary with a combined wingspan of about 14'11''.
                              I wasnt sold until you put it like that...Lakers wingspan 14' 7" and i consider them quite long...

Comment

Working...
                              X