Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JV Compared to ..... Bosh?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • irgigi
    replied
    Lithuania vs Spain game is starting in 10 minutes (JV might play). You can find live stream here:
    http://www.lshunter.tv/basketball-li...ing-video.html

    Leave a comment:


  • Tim W.
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post
    I think you're all reading to much into it, to be honest.

    I think he picked Bosh to compare JV to partially because of the Toronto connection. Plus there always seems to be one player that every young prospect coming up gets compared to if there's even a semblance of commonality in their games. In the early 2000's, it seemed like every young player who was between 6'9 and 7 feet with some skill got compared to KG.

    It's quite possible that Bosh will become the default comparison for the next few years.
    I agree completely. While it's not a great comparison, there are obviously similarities. The fact is that NO ONE is a great comparison for Valanciunas. Especially since none of us have seen his full game. I've heard he's got a good midrange jumpshot, but only seen it once or twice.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fully
    replied
    I think you're all reading to much into it, to be honest.

    I think he picked Bosh to compare JV to partially because of the Toronto connection. Plus there always seems to be one player that every young prospect coming up gets compared to if there's even a semblance of commonality in their games. In the early 2000's, it seemed like every young player who was between 6'9 and 7 feet with some skill got compared to KG.

    It's quite possible that Bosh will become the default comparison for the next few years.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kuh
    replied
    Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Here we go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LasiL4NYA-Y
    "I think, like this" ... haha, nice kid - and I bet he will show up in 2012-13 with some improved English.
    His English may improve, but even in Lithuanian he speaks slowish and with a bit of a (country) accent. He think he's going to be one of those show by doing rather than talking guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • GarbageTime
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I know a lot of Raptor fans are jaded about Bosh, and have negative connotations with his name, but the comparison is meant as a compliment. And he's not saying he's EXACTLY like him, but the fact is that both are very quick, mobile big men who can face up and who don't rely on a back to the basket game. He's not saying that Valanciunas is going to be the same player.

    Remember, Bosh has been a perennial All-Star, which is something we al hope Valanciunas will be.
    to me it has nothing to do with the 'quality' of his play but rather how he plays. Otherwise we might aswell just compare him to any random all-star. I'd actually say the Dwight Howard comparison you made before is much closer to Jonas than Bosh is.

    When Bosh was coming into the league who would you compare him to? Garnett and Duncan are the only guys I think that come to mind who have the same skill set.
    Basically what you are telling me is that JV and Bosh are not even REMOTELY similar because of energy level and the amount of play near the rim? If those are the only differences I would say that they are ATLEAST REMOTELY similar...

    All I'm saying is that it is hard to predict the future of 19 year old players. But it looks like he has the same tools as Garnett, Duncan, Gasol AND Bosh because all of those guys have the same skill set. How they use them may be slightly different
    I didn't think he was anything like either. Duncan was a legit 7fter and played like it. Inside and out. He didn't attack on the dribble like Bosh did, and while he could shoot he spent alot more time at the rim than taking 15fters. Garnett is what people hoped he would be like but Garnett was much more versatile in all aspects of the game. Garnett could defend and play at the perimeter, mid range and inside, handle the ball, and was an excellent passer.

    Gasol would be the closest (to Bosh) out of those listed but again plays much more inside and is a far superior passer. David West is easily the closest player to Bosh. (I might say Amare in NY aswell)

    I also think you are using 'skill set' in the most broad use of the term. If you want to say they are all big men who can score, then yes those 4 (Pau, Duncan, Bosh, KG) have the same skill set.

    Bosh made his name in the NBA by having a reliable jumpshot and penetrating. But thats all he has. JV hasn't shown to have either of those (atleast not yet). But has made his name (to date) by running the floor, playing with energy and playing near the rim. He more or less overwelms his opponent while Bosh finesses them. Comparing Bosh to JV would be like comparing Ray Allen to Lebron James. Both may be good players but completely different games.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    I think this is a case of JV's coach knowing JV's game inside out but not knowing Bosh's game that well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Balls of Steel
    replied
    Not at all..

    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I know a lot of Raptor fans are jaded about Bosh, and have negative connotations with his name, but the comparison is meant as a compliment. And he's not saying he's EXACTLY like him, but the fact is that both are very quick, mobile big men who can face up and who don't rely on a back to the basket game. He's not saying that Valanciunas is going to be the same player.

    Remember, Bosh has been a perennial All-Star, which is something we al hope Valanciunas will be.
    Well, my response to this has little to do with my personal feelings towards Bosh. I just find that their respective games are so different. I can perhaps see Carlos Boozer or Al Jefferson with a dash of Chandler on the defensive side of things more so than Bosh.
    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tim W.
    replied
    I know a lot of Raptor fans are jaded about Bosh, and have negative connotations with his name, but the comparison is meant as a compliment. And he's not saying he's EXACTLY like him, but the fact is that both are very quick, mobile big men who can face up and who don't rely on a back to the basket game. He's not saying that Valanciunas is going to be the same player.

    Remember, Bosh has been a perennial All-Star, which is something we al hope Valanciunas will be.

    Leave a comment:


  • MillerRegent
    replied
    GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    I don't think Bosh is anything like those guys and I don't think he is even remotely similar to JV (from what I've seen so far).

    Bosh was all mid range jumper and penetration. He rarely played near the rim. He may have been 'mobile' but he never used it. He was a low energy player especially away from the ball.
    When Bosh was coming into the league who would you compare him to? Garnett and Duncan are the only guys I think that come to mind who have the same skill set.
    Basically what you are telling me is that JV and Bosh are not even REMOTELY similar because of energy level and the amount of play near the rim? If those are the only differences I would say that they are ATLEAST REMOTELY similar...

    All I'm saying is that it is hard to predict the future of 19 year old players. But it looks like he has the same tools as Garnett, Duncan, Gasol AND Bosh because all of those guys have the same skill set. How they use them may be slightly different.

    Leave a comment:


  • enlightenment
    replied
    Bosh was really quick, with his hands and his feet, but never had that toughness to compliment it. I believe JV has everything that bosh had (except the jump shot... yet) but combined with a relentless toughness and love for the game. JV plays with so much hustle that i dont even care if he plays a minute, just as long as he shows our young guys what it means to battle it out in practise. Also JV is a MUCH better rebounder currently than bosh would ever be. (those 10 rbpg came by stealing all the defensive rebounds, not hustle, positioning or ability).

    Leave a comment:


  • GarbageTime
    replied
    MillerRegent wrote: View Post
    I think the comparison is fair. Chris Bosh is a similar player to (and has been compared to) Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol. They are all all-star, mobile 7 footers who stick jump shots and grab alot of boards. Obviously this is an overly-simplified comparison but all of these players have been compared to one another in the past.

    That being said, The way Valanciunas moves reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol than Bosh. Either way, these comparisons are good company which is quite premature but the way Valanpenis has been playing lately shows no reason why he can't be a multiple all-star in the NBA one day.
    I don't think Bosh is anything like those guys and I don't think he is even remotely similar to JV (from what I've seen so far).

    Bosh was all mid range jumper and penetration. He rarely played near the rim. He may have been 'mobile' but he never used it. He was a low energy player especially away from the ball.

    Leave a comment:


  • MillerRegent
    replied
    I think the comparison is fair. Chris Bosh is a similar player to (and has been compared to) Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol. They are all all-star, mobile 7 footers who stick jump shots and grab alot of boards. Obviously this is an overly-simplified comparison but all of these players have been compared to one another in the past.

    That being said, The way Valanciunas moves reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol than Bosh. Either way, these comparisons are good company which is quite premature but the way Valanpenis has been playing lately shows no reason why he can't be a multiple all-star in the NBA one day.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bendit
    replied
    I disagree. I dont think Bosh ever displayed a consistent "protect the rim" defensive posture like JV seems to do currently. In fact the last couple of years Bosh has not intimidated anyone defensively and this was looked upon negatively in Miami. I do believe JV also displays a much more take-charge attitude which bodes well in the lockerroom/leadership area once he has a season or two under his belt. Bosh is a passive personality and feeds off others mostly. He has found a fit with the Heat hanging with Lebron and Wade.

    Leave a comment:


  • Papa Burgundy
    replied
    Here we go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LasiL4NYA-Y
    "I think, like this" ... haha, nice kid - and I bet he will show up in 2012-13 with some improved English.

    Leave a comment:


  • Papa Burgundy
    replied
    brothersteve wrote: View Post
    It was Jonas himself who first used the Chris Bosh comparison when he came to the ACC to meet the media - and there is a lot of merit to it.
    Yes, I remember Jonas comparing himself to Chris Bosh on draft night during his first interview (fresh off shaking hands with D. Stern) ... through his muddy English, his main comparison was that he ALSO didn't have a strong body ...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X