• Show
Clear All

• Valanciunas & Lithuania game vs Russia

Game will start in 30 minutes
    Live stream at http://www.sport24.me/streams/CreepyTV8.html

More links here, incase this stop streaming
    http://www.lshunter.tv/basketball-li...ing-video.html

JV highlights:

I didn't watch the game, but it looks like Jonas had a big game. I believe Russia won this one 88-80 though.

Comment

good highlights. he had a tough time putting puts up and you can see that he needs to get stronger, but the rebounding is phenomenal. from what i understand that is what translates best to the nba. scoring will come, especially on those plays were he gets bullied coming up and just isn't strong enough to finish. he's looking pretty good

Comment

He looks like a man among men. Good to see U19 wasn't just a fluke.
        I like that he takes the rough stuff and dishes it right back.

Although before it was "they're only 19", now it'll be "they're only Europeans". Bah.
        Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 19, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

He was also going up against Mosgov (Denver from the Knicks) who is a bit of a beast and probably 30 lbs heavier. A year of maturing and weight gain and he would be making those in close shots.

13 pts. 16 rebs. 32 mins
          Last edited by Bendit; Fri Aug 19, 2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Actually, from most of those highlights it seems that he was coming in off the bench and going up against a combination of AK47 and Moyna, who were collapsing on him when he got the ball in the post. AK is a solid defender and Moyna was Euroleauge defensive player of the year. Great showing IMO.

Comment

Full stats:
              http://www.musukrepsinis.lt/public/f...19_LTU-RUS.jpg

He was playing as a starter and a lot this time (one of the reasons another center Javtokas got injured in last game vs Spain, he's out up to week). LTU has three real centers in their roster atm, and few PF who can play C if needed. In this game JV was main (31:57 mins) switching with Petravicius (8:03 mins).
              The highlight shows his successful moments only. The only worse thing i noticed, his FT percentage dropped, and i believe because he was more tired in the game.
              But in general he's looking good and turning out of the "should he make top 12 roster" into the "main center" of team

Comment

The part I love seeing is that multiple players on the opposing team always get really frustrated trying to handle Jonas on the boards ... he hounds them, has a good nose for the ball, and uses his body well to get a lot of calls ... yeah.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I don't like to get to hyped over a draft pick, but I am pretty excited about JV
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Also impressive is JV's 16 rebounds compared to only 3 rebounds each for both Kirilenko and Mozgov.

Comment

ESPN's Fran Frascilla's tweets on JV

http://twitter.com/#!/franfraschilla

@nbadraftblog Agree hype is little over the top on Valanciunas. But solid for Sr.Team, so far. When Sabonis/Gasols praise, a good thing!

@franfraschilla I never understood why Jazz did not take Valanciunas at #3 over Kanter? I thought contract situation worked perfectly.

I am not drinking Lithuanian kool-aid (has vodka in it) but would Valanciunas be No.1 if NBA Draft were today? Wonder what @lukewinn thinks?
                      Last edited by Jaworski; Sat Aug 20, 2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I love the fact that Jonas had only one foul while playing those heavy minutes. He seems to usually be foul prone since he's so aggressive on defense. 9 of his 16 rebounds were on the offensive glass. I absolutely love that stat!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I love the fact that Jonas had only one foul while playing those heavy minutes. He seems to usually be foul prone since he's so aggressive on defense. 9 of his 16 rebounds were on the offensive glass. I absolutely love that stat!
                          I was thinking exactly the same thing. His fouling is probably his biggest weakness right now when looking at his transition to the NBA, and as far as I know he hasn't had one problem keeping his fouls down so far.

He's also looking a lot better offensively than he has in the past. He got another nice jumper and his move under the basket showed very good footwork. I wish his rookie season would start because I'm finding it difficult to contain my enthusiasm with him.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Although before it was "they're only 19", now it'll be "they're only Europeans". Bah.
                            You want to say this means something? He did reasonably well against the Spanish team. So what? That's guys with names like Gasal (2 of them even!) and Iboka or something, they don't defend or anything! It will only mean something when he plays real talent like Kwame Brown, Earl Barron, Robin Lopez, Hassan Whiteside or the great Chuck Hayes.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              You want to say this means something? He did reasonably well against the Spanish team. So what? That's guys with names like Gasal (2 of them even!) and Iboka or something, they don't defend or anything! It will only mean something when he plays real talent like Kwame Brown, Earl Barron, Robin Lopez, Hassan Whiteside or the great Chuck Hayes.
                              Lopez? That sounds suspiciously South American, to me. Might as well be European!
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X