D'Antoni as an assistant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'Antoni as an assistant?

Remember this is the lockout so topics are sparse at best.

Woodson was just hired as an assistant coach in NY. This is nothing new. Many former head coaches become assistant coaches on another's staff.

Many have already speculated that D'Antoni is a dead man walking in New York.

Given this, here is a thought:

Would you welcome D'Antoni as an assistant to Casey in Toronto if the opportunity presented itself?

Talk about two extremes - defense meet offense.

I think it would be the best of both worlds and would very much like to see it. However, I don't know if D'Antoni is programmed to be an assistant anymore.

What say ye?

I think it'd be a fantastic move. Casey needs a "O-coordinator".
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd be willing to have D'Antoni on the Raptors coaching staff if he was strictly limited to offensive coordinator. That would definitely be a interesting coaching combination with lots of potential.

Comment

I don't know, I don't think it's that simple... P.J was assistant and he didn't do much... He's rather high profile, and probably expensive for an assistant coach. But at this point, the Raptors need to take all the risks they can before they actually start winning 30-40 games a year.

Comment

I don't believe D'Antoni's job is in jeopardy right now. There were some excellent coaching candidates the Knicks could have went after in the off-season and they chose to stick with their man, just like they promised. Adelman is probably going to sign with the Wolves for crying out loud. If D'Antoni wanted to come here and act as an offensive coach then sure, that's not Casey's area of expertise.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I don't believe D'Antoni's job is in jeopardy right now. There were some excellent coaching candidates the Knicks could have went after in the off-season and they chose to stick with their man, just like they promised. Adelman signed with the Wolves for crying out loud. If he wanted to come here and act as an offensive coach then sure, that's not Casey's area of expertise.
            Note the bolded section:

Would you welcome D'Antoni as an assistant to Casey in Toronto if the opportunity presented itself?
            I think the earliest anything like this could happen - and it is a remote possibility at best - would be 2012-2013 season.

Comment

When I read "dead man walking" I felt the need to express my view on why I feel those rumors sound bogus. From my view, some of the NYC basketball writers pretty much make stuff up if there isn't anything of interest to cover. Some of those guys, like Vecsey for example, are like reading tabloids. An undisclosed source tells me "D'Antoni is going to be fired any day because Dolan met with an E.T. from Pluto who convinced him Zeke is the right man for the job." Right.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                When I read "dead man walking" I felt the need to express my view on why I feel those rumors sound bogus. From my view, some of the NYC basketball writers pretty much make stuff up if there isn't anything of interest to cover. Some of those guys, like Vecsey for example, are like reading tabloids. An undisclosed source tells me "D'Antoni is going to be fired any day because Dolan met with an E.T. from Pluto who convinced him Zeke is the right man for the job." Right.
                Which is why I threw in "many have speculated" prior to the dead man walking bit.

Being paid $5M a year, no extension going in to final year despite a return to the playoffs after 3 years of clearing house, biggest supporter in Donnie Walsh let go or quit depending on who you ask/read, one of the leading candidates for head coaching positions this summer forced hired as an assistant, Carmelo's style not meshing with D'Antoni's, and apparent differences in basketball philosophy of late with ownership do not sound like a coach who will be in NY for the long haul, in my opinion. He may very well make it through 2011-12 (you know the tag line here) but I'd be shocked if he returns in 2012-13.

Comment

I'd say no. If the opportunity presented itself.

The opportunity for their two styles to clash and fail is far more likely than for the two styles to mesh and succeed.
                  In my opinion.

I think Casey will have a good enough grasp of running a good offense after having coached in Dallas and coaching with Carlisle.
                  Bringing in someone to offer a different point of view is one thing, but when that point of view is so completely opposite of the message you're trying to get across to a young team, I think it would be more counter-productive than anything.

Comment

I think the chances we see D'Antoni take an assistant job anywhere are pretty slim. His stock has taken a hit over the last three seasons in New York but he's still going to have his eye on a head coaching position, and there will still be teams who are willing to accomodate him.

The chances of him landing under Casey - a coach who has the polar opposite philosophy than D'Antoni - are even smaller.

Comment

Working...
                    X