So Adleman Picked the Wolves?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Adleman Picked the Wolves?!

The Wolves and Rick Adelman have begun contract negotiations, according to sources.

Adelman is seeking a five-year contract worth $25 million.

Adelman is one of seven candidates known to have interviewed for a job that opened when the Wolves fired Kurt Rambis in July. The others: Don Nelson, Sam Mitchell, Mike Woodson, Bernie Bickerstaff, Larry Brown and Terry Porter.

If Adelman and the Wolves are unable to reach an agreement, the team wil likely choose between Nelson and Mitchell.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1XkjWX8k4
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...t_Negotiations

Ok so I know not totally Raptor related but worth noting. Adleman seemed to be the favorite here at RR when the coaching search was on, but the general consensus here was that "He would never sign with a rebuilding team."

Well he's signing with the worst team in the NBA for the last few years. Of course the size of the contract is notable.

Do you think the Raps should've offered more money if they could do it over? Personally I'm happy with the way things turned out but it makes you wonder...

Just trying to create some discussion on this freakin horrible summer.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Happy with the pick that we have as Defense have always killed us. No regrets here and the season might not even start. which I am almost certain it will as there are too much to lose.

Comment

I was one of those who thought that Adelman would never go anywhere other than a contender, so I will be surprised if he lands in Minny. As for the Raptors and Adelman, we have no idea if they ever spoke or how those conversations went. We have no idea what was in BC's head or Adelman's, so it is impossible to speculate as to what, if anything, happened between them.

This is great news for Minny though. To me, Adelman is one of a handful of coaches in the NBA that can make a material difference in terms of wins and losses. If anyone can get that talent to achieve, it's him.

Comment

Shocking, I don't even remember the last time a team coached by Adelman had a losing record. He might be able to pull this one through, Minnesota does have talent, but it would be unfortunate if he ended his career there. It would be a huge stain on his record, and a bad way to be remembered. Anyways, he must feel confident in his long term plan for the T'Wolves, otherwise he wouldn't have accepted the offer. Wish him luck, one of the greatest coaches in the NBA.

Comment

Well Adelman has always coached teams in the western conference mainly because he lives on the west coast. So there was no chance he'd come here. Plus he would have killed our chances at getting a top 5 pick in next years stacked draft.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
            Well Adelman has always coached teams in the western conference mainly because he lives on the west coast. So there was no chance he'd come here. Plus he would have killed our chances at getting a top 5 pick in next years stacked draft.
            I'm not sure about the west coast argument. I wouldn't exactly say Houston and Minny are close to the coast.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Notwithstanding, the issues raised above (e.g., did Colangelo even want him), this does stimulate my feelings of Canadian inferiority. I had taken some solace in the arguments made here that FA's reluctance to sign with the Raptors had more to do with performance than geography. If it is the case, though completely unsubstantiated at this point, that an older, more experienced, more worldly (?) coach "wouldn't come to Canada", how could we ever expect a young All Star to come here.

Comment

Kahn should be very afraid for his job. Adelman I dont think would take the job (apart from the 5 mil./yr reportedly) unless he had some control over personnel in a team like the Wolves, their owner and gm. If things go sour he can hit them over the head with his contract. Adelman isnt in Houston anymore because of control issues with their gm Morey I understand...but his contract was up so he had to go. I think at this point in his career he wants more say in the org rather than just being the coach. Cant blame him...probably another reason he isnt here. The Wolves need a high profile coach to keep Love as well.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure about the west coast argument. I wouldn't exactly say Houston and Minny are close to the coast.
                  They're about as west coast as Winnipeg.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    Especially considering that Houston is about an hours drive from the Gulf of Mexico. East Coast.

I think New Orleans is the worst offender of them all in terms of being furthest East though.

Its amazing how much less Eastern Conference Teams have to travel than Western Conference.
                    I'd guess about 4x less travel time in the air, per season.

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    They're about as west coast as Winnipeg.
                    Hahahah I think Winnipeg might even be further West than Houston or Minni. Hilarious.

Comment

I was a little surprised but what people seem to forget is that Minnesota has a couple of things that the Raptors don't have, the main one being an All-Star. The Raptors don't have anyone who even looks like a future guaranteed All-Star, at this point. They also have a potentially All-World scorer, in Derrick Williams, and a possible franchise PG, in Ricky Rubio (depending on your feelings about him).
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm surprised on this as well.

However, a couple of things to consider:

1) he will be paid at minimum $4M per year with a reported 5 year, $25M being discussed.

2) he has a connection with Kevin Love as Adelman's son and Love played HS ball together.

3) did I already mention the money?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I'm surprised on this as well.

However, a couple of things to consider:

1) he will be paid at minimum $4M per year with a reported 5 year, $25M being discussed.

2) he has a connection with Kevin Love as Adelman's son and Love played HS ball together.

3) did I already mention the money?
                          Hahah, ya it seems like money is the main contributor in all of this. With a 5-year deal for a coach, alone being almost unheard of these days it seems. Let alone for $25M Guarenteed.

He's laughing all the way to the bank when Minni is bombing in 2 years and they let him go.

Comment

How do you know he makes decision ?
                            He make the same choice as before... He took a team he can make contender in time, but he never made it to rings.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Hahahah I think Winnipeg might even be further West than Houston or Minni. Hilarious.
                              It is a bit further west than both.... Instead of one of those big desk pad things with a massive calendar, i have a huge world map complete with longitude & latitude lines

Comment

Working...
                              X