Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC has 2 years - what would you do if you were him?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BC has 2 years - what would you do if you were him?

    *Warning: large generalization as a lead in approaching*

    Fans tend to 'poop' on those in charge - whether the Raptors, Leafs, Bulls, Bills, Bucks, etc. It is what fans do. We want to cheer a winner and if our team is not a winner, then the people in charge are incompetent.

    Given that BC and Dwayne Casey have 2 years and a third as a team option, what would you do with the time?

    Instead of sitting back and complaining about how bad management is, give your own ideas or suggestions to make the Raptors relevant sooner rather than later and for many years to follow.

  • #2
    What would I do?

    In a series of 1, 2, or 3 trades (see trade forum for exact how's) I would trade Calderon, Barbosa, and Bargnani for role players, expiring contracts, and draft picks.

    The 'tank' would most certainly be on in terms of record (although we are coming off 22 wins) but in terms of development it would be very far from a 'tank'. DD, ED, Amir, Alabi, Bayless, and JJ would all be given serious minutes. At the end of the season we'd have a very good indication of who is meant to be a Raptor for the long term and who is moving on.

    The Raptors would head in to a very deep draft with 3 first round draft picks (their own would be extremely high). There is a possibility a future all-star/franchise player will be drafted and the other two picks might yield another OR it could they could be combined to move in to the top 10.

    The Raptors would also have a lot of salary cap space to attack a deep free agent class in 2012 to either get an established all-star or round out the roster with solid veterans.

    Comment


    • #3
      your idea sounds good, good way of getting rid of bargnani and calderon for some draft picks and role players.

      Comment


      • #4
        You think we can't get a top 10 first round pick for Bargnani?

        Comment


        • #5
          I mostly agree with your strategy. The only difference is I'd keep Calderon for two reasons. A good veteran presence and someone who will help the young players develop offensively, by getting them the ball. The main reason, though, is that I feel he's worth more to the team than you'd get for him in a trade. Because of his contract and injury history, I'm not sure you wouldn't have to take back another bad contract in return, and quite frankly, I'd rather just keep him.

          I think if you've got just two years, it might be tempting to try and win as soon as possible, and try and stack up on a few veterans right now, but I think that's a very bad strategy for the long term.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

          Comment


          • #6
            KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
            You think we can't get a top 10 first round pick for Bargnani?
            At this point, I really have no idea what Bargnani's trade value is, but I think there's a chance you could get a top ten pick for him, and if you can I'd jump on it.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

            Comment


            • #7
              What I would do:

              1) Trade Bargnani to get that contract off the books. A draft pick would be ideal (the higher the better)... a good young player (a C preferably)... an expiring contract... something.

              2) Failing that start the season with him on the bench.

              3) Look for a talented young C to sign (Gasol, DeAndre Jordan etc)

              4) Failing that resign Joey Dorsey (although I probably may anyways as the 5th big)

              Starting Line up:

              C - New C (or Alabi or Dorsey depending on who looked better come the start of the season and as it progresses)/Bargnani (6th man if still here)
              PF - Amir (or Ed depending on who looked better come the start of the season and as the season progresses)
              SF - JJ/Kleiza
              SG - Derozan/Barbossa
              PG - Jose/Bayless (splitting minutes 50/50 at first, whoever is looking better as season progresses takes full time starting job... or if the split is working stick with it)

              Note: this is assuming its this coming season, if its not until next season JV is the starter barring Alabi blowing up.

              5) look to move Barbossa's expiring and Bargnani (if he wasn't moved before)... draft picks are the goal

              6) only players who are (almost) unavailable to move are JV/Amir/ED... Derozan will be dependent on what he's showing.

              7) let the season progress as it will....

              8) looking at perimeter players in the draft (PG/SG/SF... again all dependent on how teams are playing).


              Ofcourse if I had my way all together I'd be trading for Lawson and Gortat (and a slew of other possible players that I'd never be able to trade for)... but I can't picture the Raps having anything to offer (that I'd want to give up) to get those guys

              What do I think BC's goal will be? Make the playoffs (for better or worse) before his contract ends. Not that I can blame him... its alot easier to say you'll do whats 'right' when you aren't risking millions of dollars by doing it

              Comment


              • #8
                He should just continue the rebuild as its going right now for his 2 years. If it's going well and we're imporving he will be granted his 3rd year and in that year he could look to make a noticeable trade (i.e. Bargnani for picks + a good defender). Keep building through the draft and make key free agent signings.

                And the Buffalo Bills are making a giant comeback vs Oakland if anyone cares. They have 14 unanswered and are in the Raiders 15. 21 - 17 Oakland right now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
                  You think we can't get a top 10 first round pick for Bargnani?
                  No, not with his contract.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I mostly agree with your strategy. The only difference is I'd keep Calderon for two reasons. A good veteran presence and someone who will help the young players develop offensively, by getting them the ball. The main reason, though, is that I feel he's worth more to the team than you'd get for him in a trade. Because of his contract and injury history, I'm not sure you wouldn't have to take back another bad contract in return, and quite frankly, I'd rather just keep him.

                    I think if you've got just two years, it might be tempting to try and win as soon as possible, and try and stack up on a few veterans right now, but I think that's a very bad strategy for the long term.
                    The bolded section is what BC is currently in. I'm not too worried about this happening given in November he gave up all ideas of playoffs and started a total rebuild - in a contract year.

                    As for Calderon, he might be a good presence (Gatorade anyone?) but I don't think he is a natural leader as in a guy who the team will follow. A guy like Ridnour might not bring as much as Calderon but the $6M savings in annual salary more than makes up for any shortcomings in my opinion.
                    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Sep 18, 2011, 08:03 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                      What I would do:

                      1) Trade Bargnani to get that contract off the books. A draft pick would be ideal (the higher the better)... a good young player (a C preferably)... an expiring contract... something.

                      2) Failing that start the season with him on the bench.

                      3) Look for a talented young C to sign (Gasol, DeAndre Jordan etc)

                      4) Failing that resign Joey Dorsey (although I probably may anyways as the 5th big)

                      Starting Line up:

                      C - New C (or Alabi or Dorsey depending on who looked better come the start of the season and as it progresses)/Bargnani (6th man if still here)
                      PF - Amir (or Ed depending on who looked better come the start of the season and as the season progresses)
                      SF - JJ/Kleiza
                      SG - Derozan/Barbossa
                      PG - Jose/Bayless (splitting minutes 50/50 at first, whoever is looking better as season progresses takes full time starting job... or if the split is working stick with it)

                      Note: this is assuming its this coming season, if its not until next season JV is the starter barring Alabi blowing up.

                      5) look to move Barbossa's expiring and Bargnani (if he wasn't moved before)... draft picks are the goal

                      6) only players who are (almost) unavailable to move are JV/Amir/ED... Derozan will be dependent on what he's showing.

                      7) let the season progress as it will....

                      8) looking at perimeter players in the draft (PG/SG/SF... again all dependent on how teams are playing).


                      Ofcourse if I had my way all together I'd be trading for Lawson and Gortat (and a slew of other possible players that I'd never be able to trade for)... but I can't picture the Raps having anything to offer (that I'd want to give up) to get those guys

                      What do I think BC's goal will be? Make the playoffs (for better or worse) before his contract ends. Not that I can blame him... its alot easier to say you'll do whats 'right' when you aren't risking millions of dollars by doing it
                      To sign Gasol or Jordan you are going to need to offer a BIG contract. WIth JV coming over next year and Alabi never really getting a chance to show if he is capable as a back up (or *gasp* starter), is this a good use of cap space long term?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        The bolded section is what BC is currently in. I'm not too worried about this happening given in November he gave up all ideas of playoffs and started a total rebuild - in a contract year.

                        As for Calderon, he might be a good presence (Gatorade anyone?) but I don't think he is a natural leader as in a guy who the team will follow. A guy like Ridnour might not bring as much as Calderon but the $6M savings in annual salary more than makes up for any shortcomings in my opinion.
                        Drafting Valanciunas was a good indication to me he's thinking long term, and isn't (hopefully) going to do anything short-sighted.

                        I think Calderon is underrated in this aspect. He has been the guy who has always brought all the players together. He brought Both, DeRozan and Weems over to Spain. He seems to be a big bridge between the Americans and Europeans, which I think is pretty damn valuable.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          To sign Gasol or Jordan you are going to need to offer a BIG contract. WIth JV coming over next year and Alabi never really getting a chance to show if he is capable as a back up (or *gasp* starter), is this a good use of cap space long term?
                          Agreed. And it's pretty short-sighted, in my opinion. It creates a problem down the road, and seems like hedging your bet. Also, why would any of those centers want to sign when they know that Valanciunas is going to be coming and possibly replacing them?
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            To sign Gasol or Jordan you are going to need to offer a BIG contract. WIth JV coming over next year and Alabi never really getting a chance to show if he is capable as a back up (or *gasp* starter), is this a good use of cap space long term?
                            Its all relative to how much, how long, and who's still here (ie. barg's contract). Gasol no doubt would be alot but if its a 3-4 year deal, his would be ending (roughly) just as JV's next contract would be coming up. (assuming Barg's is off the books I'd have little problems with it) Jordan I'm not sure will go for that much (if he's more than Amir... I'd be amazed and say that the owners haven't learned their lesson) but then again I didn't think Gilbert Arenas was worth a max deal when he was younger and uninjured so what do I know.

                            They were really more examples than anything though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Drafting Valanciunas was a good indication to me he's thinking long term, and isn't (hopefully) going to do anything short-sighted.

                              I think Calderon is underrated in this aspect. He has been the guy who has always brought all the players together. He brought Both, DeRozan and Weems over to Spain. He seems to be a big bridge between the Americans and Europeans, which I think is pretty damn valuable.
                              I'm not trying to be a d*ck but he also brought Bosh over one year as well. I think Calderon is a good guy and teammate but I'm not sure he is a leader or a guy other players are willing to follow at the NBA level.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X