Calderon and Amir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon and Amir

Two things that are of little consequence but I think people here may find them interesting.

1) Calderon must not have been too injured because he played in the gold medal game this weekend and had a stellar game. http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng...7526/game.html in 24 minutes he scored 17 points, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 4 steals. that is against a pretty dynamic point guard in Tony Parker.

2) there is an article about amir johnson becoming a star on ESPN. it's an insider article and I don't have access to it. I bet it's interesting and if anyone who pays in to that would like to share what it's all about, that would be great.

The article is about who will move up and down in the player rankings. Here's what he says about Amir:

"Using PER as a measuring stick, Johnson ranked as the 62nd-best player in the NBA last season, ahead of household names such as Joe Johnson, Rajon Rondo and Andre Iguodala. However, the ESPN panel was more bearish about his standing in the league, placing him more than 100 spots behind where he stands in PER.

Why the disparity? One, because he probably still carries the stink of being overpaid last offseason. And two, because PER is a per-minute rating and Johnson happens to be a monster when he plays. Key phrase: when he plays. You see, Johnson fouls a lot. But he's figuring it out. Here's how many times he fouled per 36 minutes in pre- and post-All Star break intervals since the start of 2009-10: 6.8, 5.6, 5.3, 4.4. Progress. At 24, Johnson still has some room to grow, and he's finally learning to keep himself in the game."

Comment

thegreynathan wrote: View Post
      The article is about who will move up and down in the player rankings. Here's what he says about Amir:

"Using PER as a measuring stick, Johnson ranked as the 62nd-best player in the NBA last season, ahead of household names such as Joe Johnson, Rajon Rondo and Andre Iguodala. However, the ESPN panel was more bearish about his standing in the league, placing him more than 100 spots behind where he stands in PER.

Why the disparity? One, because he probably still carries the stink of being overpaid last offseason. And two, because PER is a per-minute rating and Johnson happens to be a monster when he plays. Key phrase: when he plays. You see, Johnson fouls a lot. But he's figuring it out. Here's how many times he fouled per 36 minutes in pre- and post-All Star break intervals since the start of 2009-10: 6.8, 5.6, 5.3, 4.4. Progress. At 24, Johnson still has some room to grow, and he's finally learning to keep himself in the game."
      Thanks Nathan!!

I'm going have to call bullshet on his contract affecting his ranking. Thats ridiculous.
      The rankings were based off, and rated on, "The current quality of each player."

No where in there does it specify that a players quality has ANYTHING to do with what his contract is worth.

As for the fouls argument ... well I guess you can't really argue with that.
      But there is indeed progress being made.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Thanks Nathan!!

I'm going have to call bullshet on his contract affecting his ranking. Thats ridiculous.
        The rankings were based off, and rated on, "The current quality of each player."

No where in there does it specify that a players quality has ANYTHING to do with what his contract is worth.

As for the fouls argument ... well I guess you can't really argue with that.
        But there is indeed progress being made.
        What the rankings were SUPPOSED to be based on and what actually affects them are two very different things. Like it or not, personal feelings and other things affect decisions that they shouldn't. That's life.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          What the rankings were SUPPOSED to be based on and what actually affects them are two very different things. Like it or not, personal feelings and other things affect decisions that they shouldn't. That's life.
          Indeed, and thats when all credibility goes out the door. haha
          When it comes to Responsible Journalism (I know we're talking about ESPN here), one must leave personal biases to the side. Ideally, anyway.

If they wanted to rank Contracts, then that should be a whole other Ranking, but if you're weighing a players Quality; how much he is being paid is a completely useless Stat. Perhaps 'Players Net Worth' or something along those lines would be appropriate to mention contract, but otherwise ... ah forget it - its ESPN. What do I expect.

Comment

When it comes to Responsible Journalism (I know we're talking about ESPN here), one must leave personal biases to the side. Ideally, anyway.

If they wanted to rank Contracts, then that should be a whole other Ranking, but if you're weighing a players Quality; how much he is being paid is a completely useless Stat. Perhaps 'Players Net Worth' or something along those lines would be appropriate to mention contract, but otherwise ... ah forget it - its ESPN. What do I expect.
            This subjective bullshit is getting a bit much for me whether it be done by referees using some kind of "star" hierarchy to determine/pass on the phantom or real fouls when the stars are involved...or by msm media who really should be as objective as possible when it comes to ranking players. There are after all a load of stats now available where issues like salary and looks or the team etc should be of no consequence.

Comment

thanks for posting that. It emphasizes even more that amir should not be traded when it comes to deciding which of our PF need to go via trade

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                thanks for posting that. It emphasizes even more that amir should not be traded when it comes to deciding which of our PF need to go via trade
                I agree. Neither Davis nor Amir should be traded unless it's too good an offer. Trading away young, athletic, rebounding and defensive big men who score efficiently and work hard is probably not the brightest thing to do unless you really improve your team.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I agree. Neither Davis nor Amir should be traded unless it's too good an offer. Trading away young, athletic, rebounding and defensive big men who score efficiently and work hard is probably not the brightest thing to do unless you really improve your team.
                  I know we've had numerous threads where the pros/cons of trading Amir have been discussed, which have all inevitably broken down into a name-calling thread surrounding the merits of Bargnani (don't they all? lol), but that last point you made should be the crux of any argument about trading any player on the roster. I don't care who the player is, I would be open to trading just about any of them (I would only consider JV/ED untouchable at this point) in a deal that did improve the team. And for the record, unless a player is an absolute cancer to the team, franchise and city, I don't buy the whole 'addition by subtraction' rationale either.

If there were to be a partial season this year, I'd lead towards the Raps keeping all three of Davis/Amir/Bargnani, to see what improvements (if any) they have made in the offseason, while also evaluating their worth across the league as an asset to trade. BC can then potentially trade one of them next offseason, if need be.

Personally, I would still have Amir as the likliest candidate to trade of the three. That would also be my personal preference, for several reasons which I won't get into again in this thread. However, on behalf of those on the 'trade Amir' side of this argument, I would stress 2 points: first, I like Amir as a player and a person; second, I would only trade him on the assumption that I am bringing in an equal/better player that addresses a need at another position. I would only trade him if, as you said, "you really improve your team" by doing so.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I know we've had numerous threads where the pros/cons of trading Amir have been discussed, which have all inevitably broken down into a name-calling thread surrounding the merits of Bargnani (don't they all? lol), but that last point you made should be the crux of any argument about trading any player on the roster. I don't care who the player is, I would be open to trading just about any of them (I would only consider JV/ED untouchable at this point) in a deal that did improve the team. And for the record, unless a player is an absolute cancer to the team, franchise and city, I don't buy the whole 'addition by subtraction' rationale either.

If there were to be a partial season this year, I'd lead towards the Raps keeping all three of Davis/Amir/Bargnani, to see what improvements (if any) they have made in the offseason, while also evaluating their worth across the league as an asset to trade. BC can then potentially trade one of them next offseason, if need be.

Personally, I would still have Amir as the likliest candidate to trade of the three. That would also be my personal preference, for several reasons which I won't get into again in this thread. However, on behalf of those on the 'trade Amir' side of this argument, I would stress 2 points: first, I like Amir as a player and a person; second, I would only trade him on the assumption that I am bringing in an equal/better player that addresses a need at another position. I would only trade him if, as you said, "you really improve your team" by doing so.
                    I just want to add that I've seen the addition by subtraction thing far too many times to discount it.

My feeling about trading Amir, though, is that I don't know if you'd get back as much as he's really worth. And I think there's a good chance you'd end up regretting it down the road.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I just want to add that I've seen the addition by subtraction thing far too many times to discount it.

My feeling about trading Amir, though, is that I don't know if you'd get back as much as he's really worth. And I think there's a good chance you'd end up regretting it down the road.
                      As much as I have been preferring a trade of Amir over Bargnani, if both JV and Ed develop as most of us hope/expect them to, I'd be willing to bet that neither Amir or Bargnani would be missed nearly as much as their biggest supporters think they would - especially if the Raps were able to get a player and/or top draft pick that wound up adding another stud player who would address a glaring weakness at another position for the long-term for one of them.

And I think that's really the whole observation about both Amir and Bargnani; on an ideal roster, they both have particular strengths that can allow them to be "good" players in their specific support role, but neither are cornerstone players that you should build a franchise around. And that's why neither would likely be missed for very long after a potential trade this or next offseason.

Comment

his contract (which is really a great deal and is no where close to a 'stinker') and his foul rate I think were both cop outs. If contracts were at all considered, Gilbert Arenas would be ranked dead last.

I still maintain these guys, in general, don't watch much in the way of Raptors ball (or other out of the way teams that aren't good) and therefore just go by the most current rumour they remember hearing. Those were last years offseason concerns.... they were not very problematic during this season and especially as it progressed.

But as always name is > productivity

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                          his contract (which is really a great deal and is no where close to a 'stinker') and his foul rate I think were both cop outs. If contracts were at all considered, Gilbert Arenas would be ranked dead last.

I still maintain these guys, in general, don't watch much in the way of Raptors ball (or other out of the way teams that aren't good) and therefore just go by the most current rumour they remember hearing. Those were last years offseason concerns.... they were not very problematic during this season and especially as it progressed.

But as always name is > productivity
                          I believe it is herd mentality.

Comment

I have no problem trading anyone. However, Amir did not sign a bloated contract, he is actually on a REALLY good contract. So if you are going to trade him you have to not only get return on talent but you have to get that talent at a good price. That is a VERY difficult thing to do. However, if you can then go for it, but I don't see a trade there.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              As much as I have been preferring a trade of Amir over Bargnani, if both JV and Ed develop as most of us hope/expect them to, I'd be willing to bet that neither Amir or Bargnani would be missed nearly as much as their biggest supporters think they would - especially if the Raps were able to get a player and/or top draft pick that wound up adding another stud player who would address a glaring weakness at another position for the long-term for one of them.

And I think that's really the whole observation about both Amir and Bargnani; on an ideal roster, they both have particular strengths that can allow them to be "good" players in their specific support role, but neither are cornerstone players that you should build a franchise around. And that's why neither would likely be missed for very long after a potential trade this or next offseason.
                              I agree that neither is a cornerstone player, and I foresee Valanciunas and Davis as the starters of the future. The point is that I firmly believe that Amir is EXACTLY the type of big man you want coming off the bench on a contender. He hustles, plays defense, and scores efficiently, but doesn't need the ball to be effective. And he's not going to hurt your team. With Bargnani you're ALWAYS going to have to worry about the other team taking advantage of his poor defense and rebounding. And there is far more danger of him coming off the bench affecting his play. He's FAR more high maintenance than Amir and, quite frankly, without more of a payoff. Last year, Amir consistently had a more positive effect on the team than Bargnani.

And with Valanciunas appearing to be a better scorer than most of us thought, the Raptors aren't going to need Bargnani's scoring nearly as much.

The problem is that if you trade both, then you're going to end up searching high and low for a good big man to come off the bench.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X