When there is a 2011-2012 Season..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When there is a 2011-2012 Season..

The thought process around the draft was "it doesn't matter that Jonas can't come over for a year, there's a lockout!" If they save the season and they play at least a majority of the regular games that they're supposed to, then is Jonas a bad choice?

I would think no because 1) he has huge potential and 2) you're bad one more year and get one more high draft pick.

Where do people stand on this idea? We can't just suck every year and look forward to getting a good lottery pick. Was this the year we should have drawn the line? is it next year? When?

Not at all. He wouldn't have been available to take next year, when his contract IS up overseas.
    It's not like the Raps are one piece away from Competing.
    If we were, then perhaps it would be the wrong pick. But we are SO many pieces away, that even if we did take someone more "Proven", it wouldn't make MUCH of a difference on how we perform on the floor "next" year.

You take the best player available in the draft, and thats what BC did.

Comment

I think he was the right fit for the team long term, and that if we have to wait a year to get him, so be it.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
        The thought process around the draft was "it doesn't matter that Jonas can't come over for a year, there's a lockout!" If they save the season and they play at least a majority of the regular games that they're supposed to, then is Jonas a bad choice?

I would think no because 1) he has huge potential and 2) you're bad one more year and get one more high draft pick.

Where do people stand on this idea? We can't just suck every year and look forward to getting a good lottery pick. Was this the year we should have drawn the line? is it next year? When?
        Picking Jonas was the right pick. Quality C's are few and far between and teams who have one usually draft them.

Even if JV was here this year, he still wouldn't affect the draft status in my opinion. Durant in year 2 and Westbrook in year 1 only managed to add 3 wins from the 20 the year before.

My line drawing will commence after the end of the 2012-2013 season. In other words they better make the playoffs by 2013-2014 at the latest. So two more seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13) should be more than sufficient to make the playoffs. If they are not there by then (think OKC '10, not CHA '10 playoff appearance), good bye Bryan and Casey.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          My line drawing will commence after the end of the 2012-2013 season. In other words they better make the playoffs by 2013-2014 at the latest. So two more seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13) should be more than sufficient to make the playoffs. If they are not there by then (think OKC '10, not CHA '10 playoff appearance), good bye Bryan and Casey.
          I'm on board for this timeline.

Comment

If you can grab a player who has a good chance to be a better player than the position he was picked, then it's always a good thing. Valanciunas has a chance to be the best player in his draft class. WHy would you not take him?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Picking Jonas was the right pick. Quality C's are few and far between and teams who have one usually draft them.

Even if JV was here this year, he still wouldn't affect the draft status in my opinion. Durant in year 2 and Westbrook in year 1 only managed to add 3 wins from the 20 the year before.

The only trouble with making the playoffs in the East by 2013-14 is that the East is slowly starting to turnaround as a conference and it will be very hard to make the playoffs. The Heat and Bulls should be locks for years to come, the NYK have a group that is coming together and New Jersey has players in place and and owner that wants to win badly. The slipping of teams should come from Atalanta and Orlando (if Dwight is traded). Then we have teh teams that will be fight with Toronto to round out the top 8, the Bucks have a solid core shaping up and brought in a proven vet in Stephen Jackson, Detroit is slowly starting to get the players in place that they need, they also have some nice trade bait, Indiana is a team took a big step this year and made a trade for George Hill to help bolster their back-court.. they have lots of cap room as well. Philly did not really help themselves in the draft, but they have a good core moving forward and are on the rise. Throw in franchises like Boston and you have a very competitive Eastern conference moving forward. I do think we will be competing for a playoff spot and I do want one, but as long as we are improving steadily as the the other teams age (ie Boston) I will be happy.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                The only trouble with making the playoffs in the East by 2013-14 is that the East is slowly starting to turnaround as a conference and it will be very hard to make the playoffs. The Heat and Bulls should be locks for years to come, the NYK have a group that is coming together and New Jersey has players in place and and owner that wants to win badly. The slipping of teams should come from Atalanta and Orlando (if Dwight is traded). Then we have teh teams that will be fight with Toronto to round out the top 8, the Bucks have a solid core shaping up and brought in a proven vet in Stephen Jackson, Detroit is slowly starting to get the players in place that they need, they also have some nice trade bait, Indiana is a team took a big step this year and made a trade for George Hill to help bolster their back-court.. they have lots of cap room as well. Philly did not really help themselves in the draft, but they have a good core moving forward and are on the rise. Throw in franchises like Boston and you have a very competitive Eastern conference moving forward. I do think we will be competing for a playoff spot and I do want one, but as long as we are improving steadily as the the other teams age (ie Boston) I will be happy.
                you can't build a team by trying to anticipate how bad the other teams will be. The best time to make the playoffs is when your team is at its best (or growing into its best).... if its done right the team should be able to compete in the playoffs for years and years.

There are no guarantees with the other teams. Who knows which of the young teams will bust, which of the good teams will decide to rebuild, what injuries will happen and which GMs will make terrible decisions.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post

I don't think it makes Jonas a bad pick, just potentially not as good of a pick. But that still won't mean it wasn't the right one either. Whether the Raps choose Jonas, or Kemba or Biyombo or whoever, they still weren't playoff bound this year.

The most unfortunate part may be having not put in as much effort into buying out his contract (if it was possible), but then again if he did that he probably would have gone #4 anyways.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                    The most unfortunate part may be having not put in as much effort into buying out his contract (if it was possible), but then again if he did that he probably would have gone #4 anyways.
                    Because the rules say an NBA club can only help out with $500,000 of any buyout, it would have left Jonas with like $2M to cover on his own. Which essentially makes it impossible. I can't imagine a 19 year old Lithuanian Kid has $2M laying around. haha

Comment

you can't build a team by trying to anticipate how bad the other teams will be. The best time to make the playoffs is when your team is at its best (or growing into its best).... if its done right the team should be able to compete in the playoffs for years and years.

There are no guarantees with the other teams. Who knows which of the young teams will bust, which of the good teams will decide to rebuild, what injuries will happen and which GMs will make terrible decisions.
                      That is not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that the playoffs in 2013/14 is not the be all end all for me. If the team is steadily improving and building towards long term success then I am fine with that. If we happen to do it more quickly great, but I don;t want to see moves that are for winning now at the expense of being good for a decade or more. NO QUICK FIXES. In my post I just wanted to make it clear that the East will be competitive and just making the playoffs will mean nothing if it is not going to be a long term improvement.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I don't think it makes Jonas a bad pick, just potentially not as good of a pick.
                        Why? The Raptors are clearly focused on the future, which is good, and having Valanciunas this coming season would have done the club no good. Plus, the extra time will give him time to get stronger and develop more before hitting the NBA. And it's not as if the team needs him to be able to compete this season. I don't see it as a minus whatsoever.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i think we'll make the playoffs in 2012 - 2013 season, and BC and D Case will get signed for a long term deal.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Why? The Raptors are clearly focused on the future, which is good, and having Valanciunas this coming season would have done the club no good. Plus, the extra time will give him time to get stronger and develop more before hitting the NBA. And it's not as if the team needs him to be able to compete this season. I don't see it as a minus whatsoever.
                            Jonas.... Tim's anti-bargnani

If you read the rest

But that still won't mean it wasn't the right one either

Comment

Jonas.... Tim's anti-bargnani

If you read the rest
                              Because Jonas IS the anti-Bargnani.

If he was the right pick, then he was a good pick. Whether there is a next season or not has zero bearing on his worth as a draft pick.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X