HoopsWorld.com: Toronto Raptors Trade Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
    So you wouldn't want a Bargnani with a better, consistent defending to go along with improved rebounding, and probably a Derozan with better D, and an improved handle and 3pt shot?
    Sure, I'd love that. Unfortunately, I don't believe Bargnani will ever be an adequate enough defender and rebounder to be anything but a liability most of the time he's on the floor. As for DeRozan, I am still a fan of his and hold hope that he'll one day become, at the very least, a borderline All-Star. For that to happen, the thing he needs to improve the most on is not his three point shooting or handle but defense.

Most importantly, though, if you look at most of the true contenders over the years, their leading scorers are generally elite players who are able to affect the game by more than just their scoring. That describes neither Bargnani or DeRozan, at least at this point. And they need to set the tone for the rest of the team.

I think DeRozan might, one day, be able to become a 2nd option on a contender, as long as he makes big strides on his game which he's young enough to still be able to do.

Bargnani, on the other hand, has been discussed ad nauseum. He's now 26 and has been in the league 5 years with almost no improvement shown on anything but offense. And while he's a very good scorer, his inability to manufacture shots (getting to the line) is still poor for a guy who scores as much as he does. And the more he's on the floor, the more the other team can take advantage of his poor defense and rebounding.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Sure, I'd love that. Unfortunately, I don't believe Bargnani will ever be an adequate enough defender and rebounder to be anything but a liability most of the time he's on the floor. As for DeRozan, I am still a fan of his and hold hope that he'll one day become, at the very least, a borderline All-Star. For that to happen, the thing he needs to improve the most on is not his three point shooting or handle but defense.

Most importantly, though, if you look at most of the true contenders over the years, their leading scorers are generally elite players who are able to affect the game by more than just their scoring. That describes neither Bargnani or DeRozan, at least at this point. And they need to set the tone for the rest of the team.

I think DeRozan might, one day, be able to become a 2nd option on a contender, as long as he makes big strides on his game which he's young enough to still be able to do.

Bargnani, on the other hand, has been discussed ad nauseum. He's now 26 and has been in the league 5 years with almost no improvement shown on anything but offense. And while he's a very good scorer, his inability to manufacture shots (getting to the line) is still poor for a guy who scores as much as he does. And the more he's on the floor, the more the other team can take advantage of his poor defense and rebounding.
      Even if the Raptors do not have a lot of team success in the win/loss column, I firmly believe Casey will teach the players the basic fundamentals of defense and make the better on the other side of the ball over the next 2 years. For a young team, this is more important than anything else, in my opinion.

You raise a good point on Bargnani being 26 (birthday October 28). With DD and ED just turning 22 and JV being 19, at what point is he considered too old to be a part of the Raptors when they start, collectively, making noise and being a competitive club? Especially JV - if he is being touted as the complimentary piece to Bargnani, he could be 24/25 before he is making his imprint on the league. At that time, Bargnani will be 31/32.

Comment

It's like I never left this board, another Bargs thread.

If you are strictly judging players by stats (which is ridiculous), you must use multiple offensive and defensive stats to see the total impact a player has. Bargs offensively is good. No one has ever challenged that. It's the other side of the ball, the fact we have two capable, cheaper power forwards, the fact we just drafted our "future" starting center that makes him possible trade bait. Ed and Amir play defense. The impact of losing them, because they play on both ends, would be enormous. This means Bargs would be a more suitable option. However, if Bargs goes back to blocking shots and rebounding then all the naysayers will go away.

It's pretty clear to me that we need players (at least a starting sf, possibly a pg). Bargs, and Barbosa being moved would garner the best return in a trade for the least amount of negative impact. Hence, their names come up. No one is making Bargs a scape-goat for an incomplete team.

Comment

This writer needs move into writing about Fantasy basketball. He should leave the real basketball critiquing to those who actually watch the games.

Comment

bargs must go
            "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Working...
            X