Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo Interview: "We may have as much as $24 million in (salary) cap flexibility"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Interview: "We may have as much as $24 million in (salary) cap flexibility"

“It became clear that in order for us to take the biggest step forward, we were going to have to knock some things down (and) rebuild,” he said, “and we’re knee-deep in that process right now. Depending on what we do this year, and how things play out over the next 12 months, we may have as much as $24 million in (salary) cap flexibility.

“It’s not just targeting free agents, but you can use (cap) space to obtain players without worrying about a traded-player exception.”
    Source: Canada.com

So the take away is he may not look to burn that money in FA, which he's stated before now but he may look to burn that money via trades. Maybe he's thinking the Raptors can capitalize on teams looking to shed salary to get below the tax if we're talking soft cap or if we're talking hard cap then to get below the actual cap.

This can all become moot with a new CBA, etc.. but if I were Bryan I'd be playing chess and thinking a few moves ahead. Spending that money on a young rebuilding team in the next year doesn't make sense to me. Using that money in 2-3 years time when we have an established core makes more sense - unless if he uses that money to lure in talent that can be used as part of that established core.

Comment

If we're talking hard cap then I think it all depends on what the cap is set at. The Raptors could have their cake and eat it too but it's dependent on the circumstances being favorable to the situation.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        This can all become moot with a new CBA, etc.. but if I were Bryan I'd be playing chess and thinking a few moves ahead. Spending that money on a young rebuilding team in the next year doesn't make sense to me. Using that money in 2-3 years time when we have an established core makes more sense - unless if he uses that money to lure in talent that can be used as part of that established core.
        I used to agree with this train of thought, until I heard the Oakley/TMac/Carter interview on OTR, which got my thinking about how instrumental guys like Oak, Davis, Mugsy, Brown, Willis, etc. were for the development of that young team. And considering we're already one of the youngest teams in the league, maybe a few seasoned vets (who wouldn't mind coming in here and taking on a "teaching role"), are exactly what's needed to get us to the next level.

That, and of course, a superstar draft pick...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Source: Canada.com

So the take away is he may not look to burn that money in FA, which he's stated before now but he may look to burn that money via trades. Maybe he's thinking the Raptors can capitalize on teams looking to shed salary to get below the tax if we're talking soft cap or if we're talking hard cap then to get below the actual cap.
          Not to come off like an arrogant know-it-all (well, not this time at least) but this is something I've said numerous times in the past - salary cap space is for more than free agency.

The only thing I wonder about is his time frame. Typically adding salary, especially in these circumstances, is equated with adding talent. Would he risk stunted development for current players or draft positioning to acquire talent now?

Personally, I'd like to see him go wisely nuts in the summer of 2012 in free agency or trades.

Another thought:

What players do you (Apollo or anyone) see being available via trade and a Colangelo target given the bold section above?

The only big contract that comes to my mind is Rudy Gay. I do not see BC interested in AI or Al Jefferson.

Off the top of my head I'm not drawing any veteran guys who could be added to fill the role that Nilanka mentioned.

Any others?

Comment

It's hard to come up with specific names without knowing what the new CBA will look like, and thus not knowing which teams might be desperate to dump salary, but here are a few names that come to mind (in addition to Rudy Gay). Forgive me if any of these players are free agents (it's been a while since I saw a list).

- Monta Ellis
            - Andrei Kirilenko
            - Shane Battier
            - Michael Beasley
            - Josh Smith
            - Mickael Pietrus
            - Tony Parker
            - James Harden
            - Josh Howard
            - Steve Nash

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              It's hard to come up with specific names without knowing what the new CBA will look like, and thus not knowing which teams might be desperate to dump salary, but here are a few names that come to mind (in addition to Rudy Gay). Forgive me if any of these players are free agents (it's been a while since I saw a list).

- Monta Ellis
              - Andrei Kirilenko
              - Shane Battier

- Michael Beasley
              - Josh Smith
              - Mickael Pietrus
              - Tony Parker
              - James Harden
              - Josh Howard
              - Steve Nash
              Bold are free agents.

Josh Smith is a good one too.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I used to agree with this train of thought, until I heard the Oakley/TMac/Carter interview on OTR, which got my thinking about how instrumental guys like Oak, Davis, Mugsy, Brown, Willis, etc. were for the development of that young team. And considering we're already one of the youngest teams in the league, maybe a few seasoned vets (who wouldn't mind coming in here and taking on a "teaching role"), are exactly what's needed to get us to the next level.

That, and of course, a superstar draft pick...
                I absolutely agree on the theory, but I wouldn't spend big $$$ on this type of role/mentor type of player. If I was going to shell out big money via FA/trade, I would want to do it on a player(s) that will be part of the core group going forward for the next several years. You can usually find players to fill that mentorship role for much less, ideally through some sort of veteran's minimum type of clause.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Bold are free agents.

Josh Smith is a good one too.
                  The only players on that list that I like for the Raptors are Gay or Smith, but only if Smith can move to SF (he's listed as PF on ESPN's Hawks team page). I personally think the rest are overpaid, overrated or both (except Harden, but I don't think the Thunder will trade him). I do like Battier, but I think he'll be in super high demand, driving his price up to the point where he becomes overpaid, especially for a rebuilding Raptors team.

Comment

Remember the last time Bryan had cap space?

I'm just worried that he will spend the money on the wrong guys. I have no problems with getting a veteran but only if the price is right, and only if that veteran presence is a positive presence in the locker room (the Raps haven't had one of those guys for years).

Going after Gay is not smart.. he's a max guy that's not worth max money. He's owed $17 million when Demar gets of his rookie deal, and $19 when Davis is off his. Only way I take him is if we had a stretch amnesty that can soften the blow for the team if they need it (for example if Gay gets injured), and if we give up Bargnani in the process. Although I do see Memphis as a good team for Bargnani - especially since they have Randolph/Gasol to clean up the boards / provide defense.

And I'm pretty sure Bryan would not be going after Beasley - or else he would have traded Bosh for him when he was essentially free for the taking.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Another thought:

What players do you (Apollo or anyone) see being available via trade and a Colangelo target given the bold section above?
                      You know what? I'm looking through team salaries right now and I'm noticing something extremely interesting. The NBA has been pushing for all contract options, excluding rookie options, to removed under a new CBA. If they get that then virtually all teams will probably be under whatever the tax number could be and most under whatever the hard cap could realistically be(my assumption was $60M) by the end of this wasted 2011/2012 season. That's not taking into consideration that expiring contact players need new contracts but most of them, with the exception of some young stars like Dwight Howard, are not in line for big contracts in FA. Examples:

LAKERS
                      2011/2012: $91M
                      2012/2013: $57M(excluding options, Bynum is a RFA)
                      2013/2014: $61M
                      2014/2015: $0

MAGIC
                      2011/2012: $74M
                      2012/2013: $31.5M(excluding options, Howard is a UFA)
                      2013/2014: $3.9M
                      2014/2015: $0

SPURS
                      2011/2012: $73M
                      2012/2013: $44M(excluding options, Duncan is a UFA)
                      2013/2014: $16M
                      2014/2015: $13M

CELTICS
                      2011/2012: $72M
                      2012/2013: 29M(excluding options, Garnett & Allen are UFA and this number excludes what ever contract Green would have received in the summer of 2011)
                      2013/2014: $27M
                      2014/2015: $13M

HAWKS
                      2011/2012: $66M
                      2012/2013: 61M
                      2013/2014: $33M
                      2014/2015: $35M

And we're talking without taking into consideration salary claw backs which is almost certainly on the way.

I think this is enough examples to illustrate the point I'm going to make. Whether it be a hard cap or a soft cap with a steep luxury tax and assuming contract options are gone, high spending teams are going to be able to drop their salary total quickly. They've all obviously been planning for this. The NBA and the PA aren't going to snap their fingers and suddenly the new CBA is in effect. It's going to be slowly rolled out to accommodate the deals signed under the old agreement(I feel minus options based on things I've read so far). So in summary, you might not see too many teams pulling the trigger on cap dump trades.

Now, I'd also like to take this time to address the Oklahoma City Thunder. Right now they're sitting at $54M for 2011/2012. Durant is locked up for another five seasons excluding the "current season". Perkins is locked up for four more seasons. Outside of that they have a lot of decisions to make. The summer of 2012 is when Westbrook gets paid. If he gets something similar to Rudy Gay, which is reasonable to assume I think, then we're talking $15M/yr. He's the only significant FA in 2012. At $15M/yr that brings the Thunder's cap number to around $59M for 2012. If there's a hard cap they'll still have a million to sign a late 1st rounder, plus vet minimum signings will more than likely allow them to go over a hard cap slightly. If it's a soft cap then they'll be laughing. In 2013 they have Harden, Ibaka and Maynor come due for a payday. This is where life gets more challenging to keep the core together.They're at $46M without signing these three. Harden's qualifying offer is $7.6M. I don't think they'll be able, nor willing to do that and so he'll become a UFA. Ibaka and Maynor both have qualifying offers of around $3.3M. They will extend both and they're probably be able to retain Maynor for something close to that. Ibaka on the other hand is going to be a prime target for teams. He's tough to price but I think he's a $10M/yr guy for sure. That means in 2013 they're sitting at $60M with seven guys on roster. That excludes their draft pick. Something's got to give under a hard cap system in 2013 without claw backs. With claw backs they'll be fine; a 10% claw back would place them at $54M. That's enough to maybe re-sign Harden and the late 1st round rookie.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        The only players on that list that I like for the Raptors are Gay or Smith, but only if Smith can move to SF (he's listed as PF on ESPN's Hawks team page). I personally think the rest are overpaid, overrated or both (except Harden, but I don't think the Thunder will trade him). I do like Battier, but I think he'll be in super high demand, driving his price up to the point where he becomes overpaid, especially for a rebuilding Raptors team.
                        I'm not a fan of Smith. I was at one time but watching him last year in the playoffs versus ORL really turned me off of him.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Remember the last time Bryan had cap space?

I'm just worried that he will spend the money on the wrong guys. I have no problems with getting a veteran but only if the price is right, and only if that veteran presence is a positive presence in the locker room (the Raps haven't had one of those guys for years).

Going after Gay is not smart.. he's a max guy that's not worth max money. He's owed $17 million when Demar gets of his rookie deal, and $19 when Davis is off his. Only way I take him is if we had a stretch amnesty that can soften the blow for the team if they need it (for example if Gay gets injured), and if we give up Bargnani in the process. Although I do see Memphis as a good team for Bargnani - especially since they have Randolph/Gasol to clean up the boards / provide defense.

And I'm pretty sure Bryan would not be going after Beasley - or else he would have traded Bosh for him when he was essentially free for the taking.
                          I'd agree Gay with Bargnani is not smart. No Bargnani and I'd be all for Rudy. Yes he is slightly overpaid but he really is a great wing player who would compliment DD and open for the floor for pick and roll - and he just turned 25.

Comment

Apollo -

On the Thunder, I think the only way Maynor is there long term is if Westbrook is gone. If Westbrook stays, Reggie Jackson will most likely become the back up (assuming he becomes the player expected). Jackson is instant offense off a bench with no offense besides Harden.

Comment

Good point and now that I think about it this is a real oversight on my part. With Maynor out it gives them a little more wiggle room in 2013.

Comment

Working...
                              X