Toronto getting a charity game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto getting a charity game?

DeMar DeRozan was on Sportsnet 590 earlier today – with Paul Jones and me – and he broke the news that he has been considering the possibility of organizing a charity game in Toronto at some point in the next month.

Details are limited at this point, but DeRozan told us that he and Raptors teammate, Amir Johnson, recently discussed the idea and they are meeting tomorrow or Friday to figure out the details and determine if this event could fly or not.
    Source

Very cool. Another reason why we gotta keep these guys around.
    They are aware and appreciate how loved they are in the City, and they give it back. They have been fairly consistent with that.
    This is just bigger and cooler I guess. haha

Comment

They'd need some real hype stars to come in if they really want to pull it off... A few NBA stars, maybe Beiber and Drake? That's the only way I see it really flying. It would easily be sold out if they got those two involved.

Comment

wow, this would be a welcome break from the depressing NBA news of late. I hope it comes to fruition - I know I'll buy a couple of tickets.

BTW, where do you think they would be able to hold this kind of thing? Ricoh?
        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

The first two guys who came to mind were Kevin Durant and Brandon Jennings. Both are in DeRozan's circle. This is a great idea by the way.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
            wow, this would be a welcome break from the depressing NBA news of late. I hope it comes to fruition - I know I'll buy a couple of tickets.

BTW, where do you think they would be able to hold this kind of thing? Ricoh?
            Carter used to sell out the ACC for his charity games back in the day.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Carter used to sell out the ACC for his charity games back in the day.
              Yeah, but the Air Canada Centre is under MLSE rule, who own the Raptors, who are locking out the players, so it would be tough to imagine that MLSE would allow access to that site to the players. Ricoh could be off limits too. With that being said, I think the Powerade Centre in Brampton or Hershey Centre in Mississauga would be on the short list of locations to host the event.

Comment

They could do it in the Rogers Center. I mean the Raptors used to play there at one time after all.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  They could do it in the Rogers Center. I mean the Raptors used to play there at one time after all.
                  LOL. Worst venue ever. I remember sitting in the 500 level for Raptors games. Just awful.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    LOL. Worst venue ever. I remember sitting in the 500 level for Raptors games. Just awful.
                    SOOO bad. I remember there were seats where you actually couldn't see the whole court. So bad.
                    I don't see why they wouldn't be able to hold it at the ACC, as long as there's availibility.

There's nothing stopping a Not-for-Profit charity of their choosing from renting out the Venue, and asking people to play basketball there in front of an audience. Has nothing to do with NBA.. kinda. haha

Comment

But the players are not to enter any team facilities. The ACC is a team facility. Who knows how those works out for sure though? Joey, you could be right. Tough call here. I mean if DeRozan wants to go watch a Leafs game he's not allowed? That doesn't make sense.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        But the players are not to enter any team facilities. The ACC is a team facility. Who knows how those works out for sure though? Joey, you could be right. Tough call here. I mean if DeRozan wants to go watch a Leafs game he's not allowed? That doesn't make sense.
                        Hmmm True ... Ya then I don't know. I figured as long as it wasn't an NBA-related, it would be fair game, but you raise a good point with the Maple Leafs game... muddy waters indeed.

Comment

I think as long as they're not using the facilities to work out or do any type of business, they can have access to the ACC...and Ricoh.

Comment

I think as long as they're not using the facilities to work out or do any type of business,
                            This was my understanding as well.

And has Ricoh EVER been configured for Basketball?? haha

Comment

I think as long as they're not using the facilities to work out or do any type of business, they can have access to the ACC...and Ricoh.
                              In the NFL the players weren't allow on site at all as far as I know but I'm not sure if "site" included the stadiums.

Comment

Working...
                              X