Stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretch?

So I have heard that their could be a 'stretch' as well as amnesty in the new CBA, although i have not heard anyone on this forum mention it.

Was just wondering if everyone missed out, or if it just is not that big a deal as I think.
    However, if this is true, it would be great to use on Calderon!

Here's the link I found with information on it:
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/cba-scenar...tretch-clause/

What do you guys think of it?

EDIT: Sorry I did not even understand it at first, so we probably wont use it on Calderon, but it is an interesting option for the future.
    Last edited by Hello; Sun Nov 27, 2011, 08:16 PM.

Hello wrote: View Post
    So I have heard that their could be a 'stretch' as well as amnesty in the new CBA, although i have not heard anyone on this forum mention it.

Was just wondering if everyone missed out, or if it just is not that big a deal as I think.
    However, if this is true, it would be great to use on Calderon!

Here's the link I found with information on it:
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/cba-scenar...tretch-clause/

What do you guys think of it?
    It was discussed in the Lockout thread up top but I cannot blame you for not looking through 96 pages.

I don't see the use of it for the Raptors right now. Calderon's contract would still be carried at $4M per season for the next 5 years (double contract length plus one). In two seasons time when the cap space will be much more valuable to round out the roster of a hopefully playoff team it will be an anchor.

I don't think the stretch does anything for the Raptors at this time.

Comment

Sorry, I try to read as much of the lock out thread, but I don't check everyday, and it is very hard to keep up.

I completely agree with you, just like how the amnesty is pretty much useless for us as well.
      I just read the article wrong.

If this has already been discussed/ is being discussed in the lockout thread, than you can lock/delete this thread. If people want to use this thread to just talk about the stretch, than thats fine too.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
        Sorry, I try to read as much of the lock out thread, but I don't check everyday, and it is very hard to keep up.

I completely agree with you, just like how the amnesty is pretty much useless for us as well.
        I just read the article wrong.

If this has already been discussed/ is being discussed in the lockout thread, than you can lock/delete this thread. If people want to use this thread to just talk about the stretch, than thats fine too.
        Don't worry. This is cool. I was serious in not blaming you - or anyone - from looking through the whole lockout thread.

There has not been a lot of talk on the stretch. Someone else may have a totally different view.

We'll leave it as is. If it is not a hot topic, it will disappear on its own.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I don't think the stretch does anything for the Raptors at this time.
          It's true. I am of no help whatsoever.

Comment

Just noticed in Larry Coon's writeup:

Stretch provision

• 2005 CBA: By mutual agreement, teams can alter the payment schedule to waived players. The remaining guaranteed salary is applied to the team's salary cap across the remaining years of the player's contract.

• 2011 CBA: The player's remaining salary and his cap hit may be stretched across twice the number of seasons remaining on the contract, plus one (for example, the salary and cap hit for a player waived with two seasons remaining may be stretched across five seasons). This is entirely at the team's discretion, but it applies only to contracts signed under the 2011 CBA.

• Who benefits? Teams with bad contracts. For example, if a team has an underperforming player with one season remaining at $12 million, the team can waive him and stretch his salary across three seasons at $4 million per season. This will help with cash flow and provide $8 million in cap relief for the current season.
            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...pares-last-one

So it couldn't be used on Calderon or any other contracts that have already been signed... only on contracts signed under the new CBA.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
              Just noticed in Larry Coon's writeup:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...pares-last-one

So it couldn't be used on Calderon or any other contracts that have already been signed... only on contracts signed under the new CBA.
              I think he used 'under' to mean 'before'. The amnesty is all about getting teams prepared for a new CBA by ridding themselves of old, burdensome contracts under previous CBA. Every mention of the amnesty I've come across has said contracts must have been signed before July 1st, 2011 (i.e. before the expiration of the old CBA) and Calderon would fit the bill.

*EDIT* I am most definitely wrong. I forgot we are talking stretch - not amnesty.
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Nov 28, 2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I think he used 'under' to mean 'before'. The amnesty is all about getting teams prepared for a new CBA by ridding themselves of old, burdensome contracts under previous CBA. Every mention of the amnesty I've come across has said contracts must have been signed before July 1st, 2011 (i.e. before the expiration of the old CBA) and Calderon would fit the bill.
                I actually think Coon was right, and it was not a typo.

Looking at the official agreement:
                https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...mMzI4&hl=en_US

For new contracts, salary of waived players to be “stretched” for cash purposes such that the player’s remaining protected compensation would be paid over twice the number of remaining contract years plus 1 year.

In lieu of the usual Cap treatment, the waiving team may elect to have the waived player’s salary follow the stretched cash allocation, except that stretching a waived player’s salary for Cap purposes is not permitted where the portion of total team salary attributable to all waived players in any future season would exceed an agreed-upon percentage of the Salary Cap in effect during the season in which the player is waived

So this appears to be for any contract signed during the new CBA. So if you sign a bust, you can clean up the mess with this clause. I am not sure how many times a team can use it though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I actually think Coon was right, and it was not a typo.

Looking at the official agreement:
                  https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...mMzI4&hl=en_US

So this appears to be for any contract signed during the new CBA. So if you sign a bust, you can clean up the mess with this clause. I am not sure how many times a team can use it though.
                  Right you are. I forgot this was the stretch thread. I was thinking amnesty. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                  X