Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brandon Roy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brandon Roy

    With the Blazers looking to use the amnesty on Roy would you look at him? Would be great for Demar to learn some of that craftiness that Roy possesses. It also doesn't hurt us only having Demar, JJ, Barbosa (likely to be traded) and Kleiza (out for a while) under contract. Curious what you guys think if he'd be worth signing and amount/years you'd be willing to invest.

    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Amnesty_On_Roy

  • #2
    Brandon Roy? He's a better fit on a contender, coming off of the bench, then having the Raptors having to spend a boatload of money to secure his services.

    Comment


    • #3
      Roy is more of a want, not a need.

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't see why we'd play him even in a single minute. Nothing for DeMar to learn from him, very different types of players.

        Comment


        • #5
          tbihis wrote: View Post
          Roy is more of a want, not a need.
          I don't even want him, while he is still young at 27, he just does not seem to fit with the current state of the team and the players we have in place. Roy's skill set is far superior to Derozan's, but Demar seems to fit better with the players we are building with. We seem to have our center of the future in Jonas, a starting 2 guard for years to come, and a power forward in place. A young PG or a SF would be where teh money would be better spent, Roy will not come super cheap.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

          Comment


          • #6
            Always liked Roy and was one of the guys that felt we should have drafted him, but yeah not a good idea. Let him be the sixth man for the Celtics.
            @sweatpantsjer

            Comment


            • #7
              Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              Don't see why we'd play him even in a single minute. Nothing for DeMar to learn from him, very different types of players.
              This is exactly what I was going to say. Demar is clearly and rightfully our SG going forward, and he and Brandon Roy are so far apart in terms of playing style it, they couldn't be any more different really.

              Roy has never really been known as a Supreme Athlete (even when he had knees). He mainly relies on savvy and angles to get his shots.
              Demar has Athleticism coming out his rear end. Once fully developed will be able to use MANY more tools than Roy ever could, to get his shot and get to the basket.

              Demar is already polishing his jumper, and will be a matchup nightmare with his speed and quick step.
              Roy never really had any of that even when he HAD knees to play on. Now he doesn't even have those. I'd pass. Not worth the risk, and potentially screwing up Demar clear Development path.
              Last edited by Joey; Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                Don't see why we'd play him even in a single minute. Nothing for DeMar to learn from him, very different types of players.
                The bold part i couldn't disagree more, second part of that sentence I agree. Although they are different that is all the more reason why Demar could benefit from some time with Roy. If Demar could even pick up a quarter of Roy's craftiness and ability to score he would be a million times more effective. Demar's weaknesses are Roy's strengths which would make him be a great tutor in my mind to round out a one dimensional player at this point.

                Some reports have teams bidding on amnesty players. If bids are matched the team with the worse record last year getting the player. I think this could be away for BC to get 1 or 2 quality pieces at a discounted price. Not saying Roy is any where near the top of the priority list but would definitely be someone I'd monitor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He'd be a huge gamble, and it's was something I also thought of when I read Portland was most likely going to cut him, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. If his knees simply can't hold up you're screwed. I like the path the Raptors are on right now.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                    The bold part i couldn't disagree more, second part of that sentence I agree. Although they are different that is all the more reason why Demar could benefit from some time with Roy. If Demar could even pick up a quarter of Roy's craftiness and ability to score he would be a million times more effective. Demar's weaknesses are Roy's strengths which would make him be a great tutor in my mind to round out a one dimensional player at this point.
                    I agree completely with you. Just because a player is different doesn't mean you can't learn from him. In fact that's who you can learn the most from.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I agree completely with you. Just because a player is different doesn't mean you can't learn from him. In fact that's who you can learn the most from.
                      Which is well and fine, but unless he can serve another role besides 'teacher' then he's not worth the signing.
                      Which was my point. He's too risky to hire as a player. Maybe an assistant-coach if thats we're looking for. But as a player, not worth it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Which is well and fine, but unless he can serve another role besides 'teacher' then he's not worth the signing.
                        Which was my point. He's too risky to hire as a player. Maybe an assistant-coach if thats we're looking for. But as a player, not worth it.
                        I'm with you on Roy.. to risky, and not really a leader that I'd want for the Raptors. I'd rather take Battier, but that was a discussion for a different thread.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          He'd be a huge gamble, and it's was something I also thought of when I read Portland was most likely going to cut him, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. If his knees simply can't hold up you're screwed. I like the path the Raptors are on right now.
                          It's not a gamble. He has NO cartilage in his knees. He's done, or very close to being so.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Which is well and fine, but unless he can serve another role besides 'teacher' then he's not worth the signing.
                            Which was my point. He's too risky to hire as a player. Maybe an assistant-coach if thats we're looking for. But as a player, not worth it.
                            I'm not advocating going after him, so I don't disagree with you. I just don't agree with the argument that he can't teach DeRozan anything because they play different games.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                              It's not a gamble. He has NO cartilage in his knees. He's done, or very close to being so.
                              As someone whose knees are not all that different from Roy's, you'll forgive me for being a little overly optimistic about that. But you're probably right. It's just a damn shame.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X