Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

ESPN Insider: Raptors' Worst Free-Agent Fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    ... or Iverson

    Comment


    • #17
      Tim W. wrote: View Post
      West isn't all that good a defender, and what exactly do you do with Ed Davis and Amir? You'd want 4 PFs on your team? Or are you saying you'd trade one of the good ones in order to keep Bargnani? And aren't you afraid he's just going to improve the team enough this year that it will prevent the Raptors from getting a top 3 pick? Plus, at 31, he'll start to decline just when the Raptors need him. All in all, I can't think of a worse person to sign other than Arenas.

      And really, who cares about the offense this year?
      It would require trading of Davis, Amir or Bargnani, or perhaps a combination. He's one of the better PF's in the league and though he isn't an excellent defender, he's got a good mix of both offense and defense and is able to stay on the floor unlike Amir and isn't a liability on D like Bargnani. I think he would improve the team this year and would be good along side a solid C like what JV projects to be. Age is an issue, but if healthy he could still be a good player into his mid 30's. I wasn't thinking of just this year.

      Comment


      • #18
        Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        It would require trading of Davis, Amir or Bargnani, or perhaps a combination. He's one of the better PF's in the league and though he isn't an excellent defender, he's got a good mix of both offense and defense and is able to stay on the floor unlike Amir and isn't a liability on D like Bargnani. I think he would improve the team this year and would be good along side a solid C like what JV projects to be. Age is an issue, but if healthy he could still be a good player into his mid 30's. I wasn't thinking of just this year.
        Yes, he would improve the team this year. Great. Then what? A worse draft pick and almost no chance of getting a franchise player in the draft. His presence would put the Raptors in danger of pushing the team towards mediocrity, at best, where few teams are able to recover from. Isn't 16 years of mediocrity (at best) enough for this franchise? And if you're going to add an impact player, don't you want him to be able to still be very productive when the rest of the players on the team are near their peak? West will be 39 when Valanciunas hit's 27, which is generally considered to be the peak for a basketball player. Most big men aren't very productive much past 35, if they last that long.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

        Comment


        • #19
          Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Yes, he would improve the team this year. Great. Then what? A worse draft pick and almost no chance of getting a franchise player in the draft. His presence would put the Raptors in danger of pushing the team towards mediocrity, at best, where few teams are able to recover from. Isn't 16 years of mediocrity (at best) enough for this franchise? And if you're going to add an impact player, don't you want him to be able to still be very productive when the rest of the players on the team are near their peak? West will be 39 when Valanciunas hit's 27, which is generally considered to be the peak for a basketball player. Most big men aren't very productive much past 35, if they last that long.
          You're creating a very small window to succeed if you want all th players to be the same age when JV enters his prime. The reality is that the team will have to look at free agency and trades as a means of improving the team and my original post did say "if we can get him for the right price and if he was healthy". Its just my opinion that JV and West could be a good tandem in the right conditions. I was thinking something along the lines of Webber and Divacs in the days when Sacramento use to be good. Not as good, but along those lines.

          Peace.

          Comment


          • #20
            Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Yes, he would improve the team this year. Great. Then what? A worse draft pick and almost no chance of getting a franchise player in the draft. His presence would put the Raptors in danger of pushing the team towards mediocrity, at best, where few teams are able to recover from. Isn't 16 years of mediocrity (at best) enough for this franchise? And if you're going to add an impact player, don't you want him to be able to still be very productive when the rest of the players on the team are near their peak? West will be 39 when Valanciunas hit's 27, which is generally considered to be the peak for a basketball player. Most big men aren't very productive much past 35, if they last that long.
            I don't think he would even be an improvement. Marginal at best. He has played with a good defensive center for years, first Chandler, now Okafor, to hide his weaknesses. And on the other side, he's got Paul to make him look good.

            And that's without considering the injury.

            Comment


            • #21
              Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              You're creating a very small window to succeed if you want all th players to be the same age when JV enters his prime. The reality is that the team will have to look at free agency and trades as a means of improving the team and my original post did say "if we can get him for the right price and if he was healthy". Its just my opinion that JV and West could be a good tandem in the right conditions. I was thinking something along the lines of Webber and Divacs in the days when Sacramento use to be good. Not as good, but along those lines.

              Peace.
              I'm not creating a small window, I'm trying to maximize the shot they have. It's hard enough to build a real contender, as it is. There's no way the Raptors are going to be a contender in the next three years, so why sign a guy whose best years with the team will be the next 3? And if he makes enough of an immediate impact, it actually hurts the Raptors future by giving them a lower pick this spring. If the Raptors become a contender, it won't be because they signed a veteran like David West. It will because of who they draft this spring.

              As for the Webber-Divac comparison, first of all, I don't know if a defensively soft front court on a team that never was able to make it to the Finals is one you want to copy, especially since you'll be creating a lesser copy. David West is not Chris Webber and Valanciunas is not Vlade (yet, anyways). It's like trying to copy Dallas' frontcourt starting with Bargnani....
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

              Comment


              • #22
                Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                And on the other side, he's got Paul to make him look good.
                Yup, I think we're grossly underestimating Paul's impact on West's career so far. It's just like how every player fortunate enough to have played with Nash (other than Dirk and Amare), looked mediocre without him. Shawn Marion and Channing Frye, anyone?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Yup, I think we're grossly underestimating Paul's impact on West's career so far. It's just like how every player fortunate enough to have played with Nash (other than Dirk and Amare), looked mediocre without him. Shawn Marion and Channing Frye, anyone?
                  Let's just ponder on the idea that Bargnani would have played with the Hornets instead of West... (with Chandler or Okafor beside him)

                  In the case of Marion I think the threat of Stoudemire made it even easier for him (to get easy baskets). He's still a player I'd like on my team in his prime.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X