Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Jonas Valanciunas coming over this YEAR!? (Unlikely, see post 34)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he comes over here its an instant rookie of the year. I really hope he comes over

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      If it happens I have reason to buy nba2k12
      JV will simply be the cherry on top. 2K12 is unreal well worth the purchase. Any game where you can be MJ, Magic, Bird and the greatest players of all time mixed in with current rosters is okay with me!

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
        JV will simply be the cherry on top. 2K12 is unreal well worth the purchase. Any game where you can be MJ, Magic, Bird and the greatest players of all time mixed in with current rosters is okay with me!
        Ya i'm playing association the Defense in the game sucks tho. No matter how hard you try to stay in front of your man he always gets his shot in I get really pissed off. I usually just push the ball up the floor and posterize guys on the break. I Traded for Deandre Jordan and there was this one play where i was posting up andrew bogut and i turned the corner and slammed it on Andrew Bogut, stephen jackson and Ilyasova sickest dunk ever on top of that it was an And 1. Andrew bogut fell and Stephen Jackson fell of top of him lol. Sorry that was way off topic but i had to share that moment with someone. We should open up a 2k12 thread

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          If he comes over here its an instant rookie of the year. I really hope he comes over
          Over Williams and Irving? Not a chance.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
            Over Williams and Irving? Not a chance.
            Your really underestimating JV. Irving and Williams won't do anything in their first seasons trust me. JV will make the biggest impact then any rookie cept maybe Kemba because the pussycats have no offense at all.

Comment

Not so fast...

WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
              According to the #Raptors Valanciunas remains under contract and the buyout calls for him to stay for whole season.

Could be yet another ESPN false alarm on the Raptors... two in 2 days.

I hope where there is smoke there is fire but Stein/Ford are hardly the most credible Raptors sources these days.

Comment

this is insane, at least hoopshype is a useful site again, but I seriously think he's ready and this would be a great move, theres only about 15 regular season games and a handful of playoff games left over there anyway

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  I obviously like Valanciunas, but I simply don't see that. First of all, he'd be eased in a lot slower than several of the other big name rookies. And unless there's a trade, I don't see him getting more than 25 mpg. Hard to win ROY doing that.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Rytasfan97 wrote: View Post
                    this is insane, at least hoopshype is a useful site again, but I seriously think he's ready and this would be a great move, theres only about 15 regular season games and a handful of playoff games left over there anyway
                    Glad you checked in, Rytasfan97.

Is there any truth to the financial worries with L. Rytas? Have you heard anything about this from Lithuanian media before this?

Comment

So you're telling me there is a chance?

Great post from hardwoodparoxysm.com, worth the click of source below to see the classic Dumb and Dumber clip:

Just a couple of things to keep in mind here: first, as Ford mentions, as of draft time Valanciunas told teams and reporters that he wasn’t ready for the NBA yet. He’s still a skinny 19-year-old. He plays with fire and has enough NBA skills that he should be able to crack the rotation right away, but it will not be the least bit surprising when he’s bullied by bigger players. This will be true if he comes over in 2012-2013 as expected, doubly true if sooner. You’ll need to be patient with him. Second, even if he does want to come to Toronto immediately, I’m not sure why Lietuvos Rytas would let go of him. Ford mentions that they failed to qualify for the Euroleague and they need money, but NBA teams were prohibited from paying international teams more than $500,000 in a buyout under the old CBA. It’s possible this rule has been changed and we haven’t heard about it yet, but if it’s the same as the old system then any additional money would have to come out of Jonas’s pocket. Is the team so cash-strapped that $500,000 this year and no more Valanciunas is better than keeping him for the rest of the reason and getting $500,000 next year? I have my doubts, and that’s likely why it’s just a “small chance.” Still, it’s a chance. A chance the Raptors’ season will be a bit more interesting. With rebuilding teams, interesting is all you can ask for.
                      Source

I came across this article in searching for any change on the international buyout rule under the new CBA. Obviously the old rule was $500K but I recall reading somewhere that this could be revised under the new CBA. Problem is I've read so much stuff in the last 5 months on the lockout, I can't remember when or where I read it..... and, sadly, if at all.

With reports of the new CBA being ready by Wednesday with a vote Thursday and back in business Friday, hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Since the maximum teams can spend in trades is now $3M annually versus $3M for EACH trade, this could be something the NBPA might look to have brought in.... that is total speculation on my part.

Comment

Lithuania is in a major financial crisis, sponsorships will most likely drop for Rytas, it makes a lot of sense considering they still have Samardziski

Comment

$2.5M buyout for AFTER 2011-12 season

And I thought I recalled a ridiculous buyout:

The buyout in the contract of Jonas Valanciunas with Lietuvos Rytas will be raised to at least $3 million USD, sources confirmed to RealGM.

Valanciunas has widely been projected to become a top-five pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, but a more financially difficult buyout would surely impact his draft status.

During the 2010-11 Euroleague season, Valanciunas averaged 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds in just over 15 minutes per game.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213926/Valanciunas_Buyout_To_Be_Raised_To_At_Least_$3M#ix zz1fWXhk3Q1

A few days before the draft, some concern arose that Jonas Valanciunas, the big Lithuanian center the Raptors selected fifth, was going to have some major buyout issues.

As a result, there was some speculation that Valanciunas could slip down in the lottery. He didn't and I guess it was because the buyout thing wasn't that big of a deal.

Raptor general manager Bryan Colangelo told the Toronto Sun that the buyout has been resolved with Valanciunas' team Lietuvos Ryta. Valanciunas' deal was for three years with his Euro team.

"I can confirm the buyout is in place," Colangelo said.

The Raptors can contribute up to $500,000 of the $2.4 million buyout under the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement.

Now that Valanciunas will join the Raptors alongside Andrea Bargnani, Toronto will get a fresh look at its new front line. Valanciunas isn't ready to be an impact player, though, as he needs to add strength, which he admitted draft night. "I have no so strong body," he said. So that'll likely be the focus for the young 19-year-old center. Some have said he's a young Pau Gasol and if that's the case, Toronto will likely be fine waiting however long for him to add strength.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/30243803

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Great post from hardwoodparoxysm.com, worth the click of source below to see the classic Dumb and Dumber clip:

Source

I came across this article in searching for any change on the international buyout rule under the new CBA. Obviously the old rule was $500K but I recall reading somewhere that this could be revised under the new CBA. Problem is I've read so much stuff in the last 5 months on the lockout, I can't remember when or where I read it..... and, sadly, if at all.

With reports of the new CBA being ready by Wednesday with a vote Thursday and back in business Friday, hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Since the maximum teams can spend in trades is now $3M annually versus $3M for EACH trade, this could be something the NBPA might look to have brought in.... that is total speculation on my part.
                            teams can spend more than 500k, it just counts towards the salary cap... and we happen to have a healthy amount of capspace that was likely to go unused this year...

Comment

The situation is not so clear......
                              Last edited by stretch; Sat Dec 3, 2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

It would be an awesome surprise if he gets here this season. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                X