Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Jonas Valanciunas coming over this YEAR!? (Unlikely, see post 34)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Jonas Valanciunas coming over this YEAR!? (Unlikely, see post 34)

The Toronto Raptors drafted Jonas Valanciunas with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 NBA draft knowing it would be at least a year before he came to the NBA.

But a source close to the team told ESPN.com on Saturday that there's a small chance they might be able to get him this season.

The source said that the team reached out to Valanciunas' agent over the weekend to gauge the center's interest in joining the Raptors in 2011-12. If Valanciunas has interest, the Toronto would have to work out a buyout with his team in Lithuania, Lietuvos Rytas.

Valanciunas does not currently have an NBA buyout for this season in his overseas deal, but things have changed for Lietuvos Rytas over the past five months. They failed to qualify for the Euroleague this season and the team will likely lose critical sponsorship money. Given the current situation, they need money more than Valanciunas.

Does the Lithuanian center want to come to the NBA this season? Valanciunas told NBA teams prior to the draft that he felt he needed at least one more year in Europe to get stronger and play more minutes at the highest level before coming abroad.

But the Raptors believe Valanciunas may be better served by joining the NBA now. The 19-year-old big man spent the entire summer and fall playing in Lithuania, giving him valuable experience. He showed what he was capable of in U-19 play, averaging a tournament-high 23 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game to lead Lithuania to the gold medal. Against Team USA and Florida's Patric Young, a projected first-rounder in 2012, Valanciunas had 30 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks.

With the shortened NBA season, expectations also won't be as high. If Valanciunas came to the Raptors, he can practice with the team, get minutes off the bench and use the season to acclimatize to the NBA. By the start of training camp next fall, the Raptors believe he would be ahead of where he would be if he stayed in Europe.

If the Raptors are able to get Valanciunas now, it will be a major coup. Many NBA scouts believe he was the best long-term big man prospect in the 2011 draft and Toronto has a major need at the 5.

The news would also come as a blow to the Cavs. Cleveland had been high on Valanciunas and was expected to select him with the No. 4 pick. However, concerns about his buyout situation in Lithuania arose the week before the draft and the Cavs opted to play it safe and instead take Texas' Tristan Thompson after taking Duke's Kyrie Irving with the first pick. Had they known Valanciunas could come over this season, they likely would've taken him at No. 4.
    Source: Chad Ford, ESPN.com
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 3, 2011, 06:45 PM. Reason: credit source
    @Chr1st1anL

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ba-this-season

That would be great!

Comment

Chances are low, but still I'm for it
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I would remain skeptical. It was Ford and Stein who made news 2 days ago stating the Raptors were looking to sign one of Gasol/Nene/Chandler.

It would be awesome though and certainly change the dynamics of the upcoming year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I would remain skeptical. It was Ford and Stein who made news 2 days ago stating the Raptors were looking to sign one of Gasol/Nene/Chandler.

It would be awesome though and certainly change the dynamics of the upcoming year.
          This at least makes some sense. Why not? The worst thing that could happen is that his team tells them that they won't sell his rights until next year.

Comment

Dammit you beat me to it :P
            I think there is a possibility for him to come over.
            That would be huge plus for him and the team.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              This at least makes some sense. Why not? The worst thing that could happen is that his team tells them that they won't sell his rights until next year.
              I'm not doubting it makes sense. In fact, the more I think about it the more I hope it is true.

My point had to do more with the amount stories based on shreds of truth being reported as gospel fact by ESPN of late.

Comment

I guess it comes down to how much Valanciunas will have to fork out of his own pocket to get out of town. The Raptors are allowed to contribute half a million in the buyout. JV is slated to make 2.9M minus the 16 games pay for the shortened season if he played in the NBA this season. Depending on the terms of the proposed buyout he could still come out ahead financially.

Sooner rather than later, I say.....

Comment

I would highly doubt it.

Comment

If it happens I have reason to buy nba2k12
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If he comes over I'd say he is a possible rookie of the year candidate. Please let this happen.

Comment

@ CEEZ -my thought exactly lol

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          I guess it comes down to how much Valanciunas will have to fork out of his own pocket to get out of town. The Raptors are allowed to contribute half a million in the buyout. JV is slated to make 2.9M minus the 16 games pay for the shortened season if he played in the NBA this season. Depending on the terms of the proposed buyout he could still come out ahead financially.

Sooner rather than later, I say.....
                          The issue really is two fold: a) Whether JV wants to come b) how much is his club willing to renegotiate the buyout considering that they need the money.

If they just go for the half mill. then the Raps pay that and he is here. It will certainly be good for him to come even if it's the new year sometime to acclimatize. He has played a lot of ball and I would rather he ease in.

Comment

I read this article at ESPN too. Can't see JV coming over this season though. I doubt JV's current team will go for it.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                              I read this article at ESPN too. Can't see JV coming over this season though. I doubt JV's current team will go for it.
                              Its not like they are making it anywhere. Why not do him a favor and let him play where he always dreamed of.
                              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Working...
                              X