Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Jonas Valanciunas coming over this YEAR!? (Unlikely, see post 34)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan Colangelo threw cold water on the scenario, telling the Toronto Sun: “He’s under contract and the buyout calls for him to play the year out in Lithuania. Beyond that, there is nothing else to report from our side.”
    http://m.torontosun.com/2011/12/03/r...-big-v-rumours

Well, so much for that idea...

Comment

bboyskinnylegs wrote: View Post
      teams can spend more than 500k, it just counts towards the salary cap... and we happen to have a healthy amount of capspace that was likely to go unused this year...
      It doesn't just count towards the salary cap, it counts as part of the player's contract. And since rookie scale contracts are a fixed amount, that means any part of the buyout over $500k would have to come right out of Valanciunas's pocket. (unless the buyout rules are different under the new CBA, of course)

Comment

bboyskinnylegs wrote: View Post
        teams can spend more than 500k, it just counts towards the salary cap... and we happen to have a healthy amount of capspace that was likely to go unused this year...
        No they cannot. I can guarantee you are 100% incorrect on this matter.

Comment

BC throws cold water on the rumour

Will Jonas Valanciunas be a Raptor in 2011-12?

Don’t get your hopes up Raptors fans. The odds of that happening are miniscule, though ESPN’s Chad Ford at least floated the idea on Saturday.

Citing a source close to the Raptors, Ford said there’s a small chance Valanciunas could leave Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania and join Toronto at some point this season.

But Raptors president/general manager Bryan Colangelo threw cold water on the scenario, telling the Toronto Sun: “He’s under contract and the buyout calls for him to play the year out in Lithuania. Beyond that, there is nothing else to report from our side.”

The Raptors drafted the Lithuanian centre fully expecting he would stay in Europe until after the 2012 London Olympics.

At that point, Toronto would be able to offer Rytas buyout money believed to be in the neighbourhood of $500,000 US.

Some teams worried a buyout wouldn’t be reachable until after two years but the Raptors were always confident they would get the 19-year old after one further year of development overseas.

Valanciunas was the MVP of the FIBA Under-19 world championship and played well against veteran competition in the EuroBasket but has not been a major factor in spotty minutes for Rytas — which missed qualifying for the Euroleague.
          Source: Toronto Sun

Via Twitter.com:

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
          According to sources close to the situation, Lietuvos Rytas will not let Jonas Valanciunas leave for Toronto this season.
          WolstatSun Ryan Wolstat
          Story should be up soon about Valanciunas hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly unlikely to be coming to North America this season.

Comment

Those couple hours we thought there was a chance he might come over this season could very well be the most exciting part of this season!

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              Those couple hours we thought there was a chance he might come over this season could very well be the most exciting part of this season!
              sucks the best part of the season is now behind us

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                sucks the best part of the season is now behind us
                It was sarcasm... But I can't wait for those 20 point losses to get here as much as I hate them!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  If he comes over here its an instant rookie of the year. I really hope he comes over
                  Ooooo, I'm a total fan but that might be much of a statement. He's gotta climb over Amir, Ed and Bargs for minutes.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

article from Slamonline.com

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...omment-1944721

As much as I would like Valaciunas to come over this year, I don't see the point. we will need to fill the position with a cheap 1 year contract, maybe a pryzbilla type? I want the young team to develop. I think Bayless has a chance of getting better but its hard for me to see him as a starting point guard, coz his instinct is shoot first. I think he will forever be a good back up. We need to get rid of Caleron, it would be nice if we could package him in a deal that Jordan won't nix. Otherwise we could use the new amnesty clause on him? Though he maybe a good vet to have in the locker room?

The Raps need to figure out what they are going to do at the SF position coz its jammed. Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, Bargnani, **Linas Kleiza...

I look forward to a short season where our young gunz can develop still do poorly enough to get a top 5 draft pick. wish there were more PG's in the draft next year though, its mainly a bigger men kinda draft.
                    Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Valaciunas is not coming over. Lithuanian media: " "Lietuvos rytas"sport director Purlys says that "Jonas will definitely stay here till the end of the season. We made an agreement and we are not going to break it."

Source: http://www.diena.lt/naujienos/sporta...paign=rss_feed

Comment

Confirmed

http://www.lithuaniabasketball.com/n...-confirms.html

Comment

Working...
                        X