Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors a "serious" suitor of DeAndre Jordan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    ... I'd also say I don't think I'd include both Jonas and the Raps 1st rounder (assuming the Raps end up with a top 5 or so... oustide the top 10 would probably be alright). But Jonas straight up for a top 5 in this draft? Or Jonas + top 10 protected (or future first rounder) for a top 5? I know I'd find it tempting.
    i don't see the logic in trading JV for a top-5 pick in this year's draft. if he (JV) was in this draft, he'd be a top-5 pick, would he not? so, you'd be gaining - in all likelihood - a similar player by trading JV. i'm not suggesting that JV is going to turn out better than a projected high lottery pick, but there's zero evidence to suggest that he'll be any worse - in fact, given the level of competition he's facing, the international experience he's had, and the strides he's made both in terms of his overall game (in high-level competition) & leadership development, i'd rather keep JV as a slightly more well-known commodity than trade for a pick. again, it's all speculative, but if the raps have a top-5 pick already in the '12 draft (which is likely), what exactly are they gaining by trading JV for another top-5 pick? at some point, you have to focus attention away from continually acquiring young talent, and focus on developing the talent you already have. there is such a thing as having too many prospects.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
      i don't see the logic in trading JV for a top-5 pick in this year's draft. if he (JV) was in this draft, he'd be a top-5 pick, would he not? so, you'd be gaining - in all likelihood - a similar player by trading JV. i'm not suggesting that JV is going to turn out better than a projected high lottery pick, but there's zero evidence to suggest that he'll be any worse - in fact, given the level of competition he's facing, the international experience he's had, and the strides he's made both in terms of his overall game (in high-level competition) & leadership development, i'd rather keep JV as a slightly more well-known commodity than trade for a pick. again, it's all speculative, but if the raps have a top-5 pick already in the '12 draft (which is likely), what exactly are they gaining by trading JV for another top-5 pick? at some point, you have to focus attention away from continually acquiring young talent, and focus on developing the talent you already have. there is such a thing as having too many prospects.
      I totally agree with this post.

Two things I would add are:

1) his competitive spirit and desire to get better - it is evident watching him play,

2) his free throw percentages. A C who shoots 85% from the FT is certainly the exception to the rule.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
        from a purely technical stand point:

-last years draft is considered the worst since 2006 (doesn't mean it will turn out that way ofcourse, but as its stands thats what its considered)

-2012 draft considered the best in a decade-ish (same as above)

so its not hard to view a top 5 pick in 2012 draft > top 5 2011.

If any of these guys coming up end up looking like they could be a franchise player, I think it would be well worth it.

Ofcourse things are not that simple (would have to wait until after draft order was worked out, consider the possible options, see how these guys make out over the rest of the year etc), and thats why I called it interesting and tempting.

I also want to say that JV is no more 'known' than any of the current draft prospects. He hasn't been playing heavy minutes in europe (although playing ofcourse) and the u-19 tournament is just what it is, an u-19 tournament. But most importantly he hasn't even stepped foot on an NBA court... same with the 2012 draft class.

Perhaps a possible (theoretical) example could be... Andrew Bogut. Played internationally (started in the Olympics and averaged 14-9-1 on 60% shooting... random tidbit shot 45% from 3, (4/9)... quite solid I would say) and dominated in the FIBA Jrs in 2003 (random tidbit 2: 39% from 3 (5/13)). Clearly a very good player... 2nd best C in the league today? (injuries aside ofcourse), huge fan myself, but would you have traded him for a top 5 pick in the best draft class in the past decade?

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          from a purely technical stand point:

-last years draft is considered the worst since 2006 (doesn't mean it will turn out that way ofcourse, but as its stands thats what its considered)

-2012 draft considered the best in a decade-ish (same as above)

so its not hard to view a top 5 pick in 2012 draft > top 5 2011.

If any of these guys coming up end up looking like they could be a franchise player, I think it would be well worth it.

Ofcourse things are not that simple (would have to wait until after draft order was worked out, consider the possible options, see how these guys make out over the rest of the year etc), and thats why I called it interesting and tempting.

I also want to say that JV is no more 'known' than any of the current draft prospects. He hasn't been playing heavy minutes in europe (although playing ofcourse) and the u-19 tournament is just what it is, an u-19 tournament. But most importantly he hasn't even stepped foot on an NBA court... same with the 2012 draft class.

Perhaps a possible (theoretical) example could be... Andrew Bogut. Played internationally (started in the Olympics and averaged 14-9-1 on 60% shooting... random tidbit shot 45% from 3, (4/9)... quite solid I would say) and dominated in the FIBA Jrs in 2003 (random tidbit 2: 39% from 3 (5/13)). Clearly a very good player... 2nd best C in the league today? (injuries aside ofcourse), huge fan myself, but would you have traded him for a top 5 pick in the best draft class in the past decade?
          i see where you're coming from, and if the proposal was to trade JV for the 1st overall pick, then it's something to think about. but it was a generic 'top-5' idea, and i just can't get behind that. yes, it's a loaded draft in '12, and '11 wasn't strong (to say the least), but the relative strength or weakness of a draft is a moot point when talking about individual players & how they will (eventually) perform for their team.

but even if the proposal was to package JV & the raps' '12 #1 pick (likely top-5) for the #1 pick in '12, i'd still walk away. #1 pick in '12 is likely going to be anthony davis, and by all accounts, he's a beast, a potential franchise center/PF. and maybe his year @ kentucky will only solidify this assumption...but until he - like val or any other prospect - steps onto an nba court, it's all speculation. but the main reason i walk away from that proposal is due to the strength of the '12 draft (not because the '11 draft was weak, which no longer has any bearing)...i KNOW that there will be solid - potentially, a franchise-type - player available pretty much anywhere inside the top-10 (and perhaps later). and i KNOW that they already have a POTENTIALLY franchise guy in val...so they'd be giving up him as well as another POTENTIAL franchise guy for...one POTENTIALLY franchise guy. 2 for 1, with no way to really determine if the guy they'd wind up with would be markedly better as a pro than either of the guys they'd be giving up to get him. i see the allure, but it's not something i'd want them to do.
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Working...
          X