Toronto makes Battier's list of potential destinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Great post overall Hug, but I especially agreed with this last part, which is often overlooked.

You think these guys will want to stay with the Raptors if we just continue rest on our laurels and wait for Draft Picks and the Future Savior to arrive?
    What does it say to our current group of players if you don't try and build around them? But instead wait for some yet-to-be named Hero to arrive and Save us.

I'm fine with receiving high draft picks, but I don't want it to be had at the expense of Morale or Lack of faith in the Franchise. Which is what will happen if no steps are taken to at least try to improve the product on the floor.
    Amen.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Which is fine and I agree that small pieces to bad team won't make much difference. If any.
      So whats the harm in acquiring a player that will have the respect of everyone in the entire Locker Room for many years to come?

And I was also more just speaking to the fact that you don't want our current crop of players thinking they are 'chopped liver' or something, and Management is just waiting for the Steak to arrive before dressing up the Place.
      It doesn't matter if they can leave next year or not. If they get a sour taste in their mouth for whatever reason, they're going to be more inclined to leave when they have the chance.

Almost every single player in the league, (especially young guys) believes they have what it takes to be Franchise/All-Star players. You don't dream as a kid to be a Role Player in the NBA.

You don't want to say to Demar, Ed et al, that they aren't good enough to lead the team, and thus we won't even try to add good pieces for them to work with. That will only make them want to prove else where that they have what it takes. In my opinion.
      Bam joey.
      I'm all over this.

Great post

Comment

at this stage in his career he for sure will go to a title contender, not the raps
        ya dun noe

Comment

now what you're saying is a stetch in the opposite direction. Fine the odds aren't great, but I think the odds here are lot better then the lottery. I think Battier has the mentality and smarts and WORK ETHIC to put in the work to be able to keep his body in optimal shape to play for at least the next 4 years. Personally I just think he would be a great verteran presence for the team. If we can get him for the right price I say go for it. look at our vets now... uhm calderon and barbosa? I don't think the Raptors best team of Vince, Mcgrady, Alvin, Willis, Oakley, Curry etc would have done as good as they did without those vets on the team. You need players like that around. The only exception I can think of is OKC Thunder.
          Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post
            now what you're saying is a stetch in the opposite direction. Fine the odds aren't great, but I think the odds here are lot better then the lottery. I think Battier has the mentality and smarts and WORK ETHIC to put in the work to be able to keep his body in optimal shape to play for at least the next 4 years. Personally I just think he would be a great verteran presence for the team. If we can get him for the right price I say go for it. look at our vets now... uhm calderon and barbosa? I don't think the Raptors best team of Vince, Mcgrady, Alvin, Willis, Oakley, Curry etc would have done as good as they did without those vets on the team. You need players like that around. The only exception I can think of is OKC Thunder.
            The odds are better where than in the lottery? I don't understand what you're saying.

And the team of Vince, McGrady, Alvin, Willis and Oakley had two superstars and ran out of steam pretty damn quick because the vets declined so quickly. Cleveland tried to do exactly the same thing around LeBron, which did make them a contender, but they had to continue to restock the roster year after year because the veterans wouldn't last very long. The big downside is that LeBron never got to grow or develop with many of the same players. And by the end they were gambling on washed up, massively expensive veterans like Shaq and Antawn Jamison.

The Raptors have neither a Vince, McGrady or Lebron, at this point. THis is their problem. You stick a bunch of veterans around this group and I've no doubt they could make it to the playoffs. But without a better core, you'd just be repeating what the Raptors organization has been doing for the last 16 years.

Once the Raptors have some more talent, then I'd be all over getting a good veteran or two.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Battier would be too expensive. He's a complementary piece without anything to complement.

Comment

If I were him I'd re-sign with memphis especially if they re-sign gasol it's a no-brainer. They had a great playoff run and he can contribute more in memphis than in Miami. The only thing going for him to the Raptors is his relationship with our assistant coach Davis, and that's not enough of an incentive.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  If I were him I'd re-sign with memphis especially if they re-sign gasol it's a no-brainer. They had a great playoff run and he can contribute more in memphis than in Miami. The only thing going for him to the Raptors is his relationship with our assistant coach Davis, and that's not enough of an incentive.
                  I don't see Memphis actually being a real contender. I see them as an Atlanta of the West. And Memphis can't afford to re-sign him, even if he wanted to. And there are at least a dozen teams I'd choose over the Raptors, if I were Battier.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I would love to see Battier in a Raptors uniform. I think the raptors without Reggie this year will lack a Veteran pressence. One that i think battier can bring. Not to mention hes not a bad defender

Comment

Working...
                    X