Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLAM proposes Raptor trade that "should" happen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLAM proposes Raptor trade that "should" happen...

Trade No. 4:
    Raptors Acquire: Monta Ellis
    Warriors Acquire: Andrea Bargnani, Jarryd Bayless

The Financials

This one’s easy. Both teams are under the cap, so they can make an unbalanced deal if need be. However, Ellis is only due about $2 million more than Bargnani this season, and Bayless’ $3 million does nothing to throw the deal off.

What’s In It For Toronto
    The Raptors drafted center Jonas Valanciunas with the 5th overall pick this season, and with Ed Davis cemented at power forward, they’re set down low. This leaves Bargnani as something of an odd-man-out. They have a young star in shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, and pairing him with Ellis would be really scary. Plus, if they want to go small, they’d still have point guard Jose Calderon, who they could start with Ellis at the two and DeRozan at the three.

What’s In It For Golden State
    It’s beginning to seem like an inevitability that Ellis will be leaving the Warriors either via trade or free agency a year from now, so they might as well deal him while they can. Bargnani is a horrific defender, but the team is full of them, and pairing him with David Lee in the post would be an awesome move. Bayless hasn’t shown much in his NBA career, but could do something if he got a shot at guard alongside Stephen Curry while being coached by former point guard Mark Jackson. With rookie Klay Thompson and Dorell Wright ready for boosts in minutes, this trade makes a lot of sense.
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...n-it-for-us/2/

I love the comment that pairing DeRozan and Ellis would be scary. For who, Dwayne Casey, who likes his players to play defense?

While this deal does get rid of Bargnani, I'd really love to see a player come back who I wouldn't have a major problem with. Please?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

The writer should immediately be fired as a basketball reporter impostor.

He also kills the Warriors with this "....and pairing him with David Lee in the post would be an awesome move." Not defensively they wont.

He probably wants Mark Jackson fired.

Comment

Only way this can happen is if Derozan is moved to SF - which would never happen. Even though Ellis would be less of a liability on the team than Bargnani, he would impact Derozan's development.

I would like to see one more year with Derozan. His stock will rise or fall with me depending on what he does this year. If he doesn't raise his game in the areas that we need him to (shooting, defense), then I'd be all for another SG.

Comment

i'm for it, for sure.

the prospectus of getting Ellis and shedding Bargnani who I've given up on as a part of this team and Bayless, who is a real iffy.

It would be awesome, even if Ellis doesn't work out, we can trade him at the trade deadline or just let him go in free agency and we'd actually be better off then currently and for the years ahead.

If Ellis does work out bonus, whether he's a long term answer or 66 game answer.

The salary relief in the coming years alone is worth the price of admission.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I'd do it if it was the only option, but I'd rather not.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ellis doesn't fit the new direction any more than Bargnani does.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              The writer should immediately be fired as a basketball reporter impostor.

He also kills the Warriors with this "....and pairing him with David Lee in the post would be an awesome move." Not defensively they wont.

He probably wants Mark Jackson fired.
              Ya, that was good. David Lee and Bargnani together would have teams circling the calendar knowing they'll be having a big scoring night.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Experience

Let us get used to the fact that this is year 2 of a rebuilding project. I say leave the roster as is. pick up a 3rd PG for a vet's minimum, another SF/ SG for the minimum. let Casey start getting his defensive system in place. find out what you have in these players over the ourse of this year. part of it is seeing what Alabi has to offer. Hopefully this will mean at least 8-10 minutes per game. We have been told he was sick all last year and has been working very hard in the off season. Only game exprerience will give us the answer. To deal for a star to get 10-15 more wins can not be the objective. Get as many ping pong balls as possible in the upcoming draft. Another pick wouldn't be the worst case either. BC does have a good track record in drafts.

Comment

From a Toronto standpoint, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Not only would it alleviate some of the crowding at the 4-5 position, having a guy like Ellis who would become Toronto's main scorer - he's still very quick and gets the hole at will. His contract also ends sooner and would have more value in a deal should Toronto try to deal him a year from now. However, I don't see how Golden State benefits from this. A Lee and Bargnani front court would give Mark Jackson nightmares.

Comment

I'd jump all over this
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Goldenstate needs to realize theyre destiny, rehire Nellie and go out and try to score 150 a night.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Mark Jackson is going to be such a disaster
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...n-it-for-us/2/

I love the comment that pairing DeRozan and Ellis would be scary. For who, Dwayne Casey, who likes his players to play defense?

While this deal does get rid of Bargnani, I'd really love to see a player come back who I wouldn't have a major problem with. Please?
                          Wow, this one makes me go hmmmm. Not that I want to give the big banana the boot but Monta and Demar? That's scary offensively and a nightmare defensively. However, with Ed and JV down low, there's enough support there if the back court defence is porous. The questions was Bayless and Demar is not any better defensively and Bargs down low ain't good either (from an interior defence standpoint). My ONLY concern is Monta's attitude. I'd go for it if Casey can provide insight in this young PG.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

"What’s In It For Golden State
                            It’s beginning to seem like an inevitability that Ellis will be leaving the Warriors either via trade or free agency a year from now, so they might as well deal him while they can. "

Would it be any less inevitable that he would leave the Raptors for free agency?

Ridiculous

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              The salary relief in the coming years alone is worth the price of admission.
                              That one is a silly argument. If Bargnani is simply dead weight at his salary level, the Raptors can use their amnesty on him and the problem is solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X