X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magloire Working Out in Toronto

From Doug Smith's blog:
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...an-raptor.html

I have no problem with the Raps potentially signing Magloire to a 1-year deal. He could easily fill that mentorship role without needing minutes.

But from a teaching/disciplining perspective, I think Kurt Thomas provides more value to our young front court. Being a former Knick (from the Van Gundy era), he's got that soldier-like attitude we all wish the Raptors possessed.

I would love Magloire here. His work ethic on and off the court and his playing style is exactl what we need.

Comment

Ya i don't mind it. He's from Toronto so he automatically gets fan favorite. And he would be a good teacher, as far as playing goes, he is about as effective as an ajinca, or dorsey..

Comment

From the article:

I keep hearing that Magloire, coming off his 11th NBA season, is on Toronto’s radar as a free agent; a big, veteran centre they could get for the minimum who might be good in practice and the odd game when his mixture of brawn and a willingness to bang some bodies around would help out.

I guess I can see the sense it makes since Bryan has given every indication he’s going to fill out the roster with one-year veterans and other short-termers so he can be a big player either next summer or around the trade deadline as a deal facilitator.

Here’s something else to consider: If you’re looking at a fourth big, would you rather have a veteran like Magloire or a kid like Solomon Alabi.

No offence to Alabi, who they tell me has improved, but simple math would tell you his long-term prognosis isn’t great. You’ve got Bargnani, Amir Johnson and Ed Davis ahead of him now, those three (probably) along with Jonas Valanciunas next season will crowd it any more.
        I think Casey will give Alabi a shot. The kid is going to need to bring it from day one in camp though. Magloire would be a decent addition. He's not going to give you much more at this point than some experience, size and strength in the paint on defense but they're sorely in need of that.

Comment

This is the kind of signings I'm hoping for the Raps to make to fill out the roster. Get some high character, defensive minded vets to help the kids along.

Comment

Magloire sucks dudes
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He couldn't even get minutes with the heat who were so desperate for a center they worked out Eddy Curry. Think about it.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Magloire is perfect for that sort of stop gap veteran center that our team needs to shore up defense in the middle. He wont be too expensive, he wont be expecting a long term deal, he can defend, he can rebound, and he is tough. I'm all for it.
                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  He couldn't even get minutes with the heat who were so desperate for a center they worked out Eddy Curry. Think about it.
                  i agree... if we sign him hes not playing too often soo whats the point...

sign someone who can still play

Comment

Yup! lol! Guess what he and Coach Casey have in common? They both won NCAA championships as members of the University of Kentucky Wildcats! So you have the Wildcat bond right there. Also, we would be bringing in a FORMER All-Star to the team (2003 or 2004?). Seriously though, As much as he was a bench warming centre for the centre-starved Heat, Magloire seems to only get minutes when he plays in Toronto and he only seems to bring down at least a rebound when he plays in Toronto. So why not sign him? He wouldn't command much if anything above a 1-year deal at vets mimimum.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post

Agreed and also agree with ceez.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        Magloire sucks dudes
                        A Magloire signing wouldn't come with the expectation that he contributes on the court. He'd be lucky to see the floor even in blowouts.

His value is off the court.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post

The point is that he provides 1 year of mentoriship to our young front court without breaking the bank, and thus, jeopardizing our 2012 cap space.

We have a minimum of 3 roster spots to fill this season, so you know Colangelo is going to sign somebody. Instead of signing disgruntled D-leaguers hoping to earn minutes for his next NBA contract (who might sulk if he doesn't see the floor), Magloire seems like a good fit in a status-quo year with a miniscule contract.

Get a high pick (or two) in 2012, amnesty Calderon or Kleiza, and go nuts in free agency next year.

Comment

I agreed with Nilanka here.

Comment

I agree with Nilanka here.

Comment

Working...
                              X