Pietrus will NOT be a Raptor afterall: UPDATE: Pietrus bought out by Suns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pietrus will NOT be a Raptor afterall: UPDATE: Pietrus bought out by Suns

"Non prolongé par les Suns, Mickaël Pietrus aurait accepté une offre des #Raptors ! Les détails du contrat n'ont pas filtré. (Sud-Ouest)"

http://twitter.com/Passionbasket

jjiio wrote: View Post
    "Non prolongé par les Suns, Mickaël Pietrus aurait accepté une offre des #Raptors ! Les détails du contrat n'ont pas filtré. (Sud-Ouest)"

http://twitter.com/Passionbasket
    I would be very weary of this.

It will not be a free agent signing if he does end up in Toronto. He has one year at $5.3M left on his contract with PHX. He picked up the player option in June.

This will most likely be a trade and I hope BC is not including any draft pick. In fact, Phoenix should be sending the Raptors a draft pick to save them $5.3M, in my opinion.

PHOENIX (AP) -- Phoenix Suns swingman Mickael Pietrus exercised the one-year player option on his contract Tuesday.
    Phoenix acquired Pietrus on Dec. 18 in a six-player trade with Orlando that brought Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat, a first-round draft pick in this week's NBA draft and cash considerations from the Magic in exchange for Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Earl Clark.
    The 28-year-old Pietrus played in 38 games for the Suns, averaging 7.4 points and 2.2 rebounds.
    However, he missed the last 12 games of last season with a quadriceps-tendon strain.

http://www.azfamily.com/sports/baske...123927274.html
    I do very much like the idea of Pietrus here though.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Dec 9, 2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I would love for Pietrus to end up here. As I mentioned in a previous thread, he's basically a poor man's, younger version of Battier. But agree with Matt...he's not worth giving up any assets for.

Comment

Journal local à suivre : Arizona Republic
        L'actualité : Mickaël Pietrus jouera-t-il encore cette saison à Phoenix ? Selon Sud Ouest, il est partant pour Toronto. Il faut dire que le sort du Guadeloupéen n'est pas la priorité des Suns, plus préoccupés par le devenir de Grant Hill (libre mais enclin à rester) et de Steve Nash (libre en fin de saison) ou par l'ouverture du marché des joueurs libres (Sebastian Telfair, le cousin de l'ancienne star locale Stephon Marbury, et Shanon Brown sont pressentis). Mike Pietrus était encore à Pau mercredi, où il a croisé Claude Marquis et devait revenir à Phoenix ce jeudi. Il était en fin de rééducation après une opération d'un genou cet été.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2...e-reprise.html

This makes a little more sense. He has left for Toronto implying that at 2pm today a transaction will likely occur. Also mentions Grant Hill which makes sense for Phoenix to be able to offer him more money with Pietrus' contract gone.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I would love for Pietrus to end up here. As I mentioned in a previous thread, he's basically a poor man's, younger version of Battier. But agree with Matt...he's not worth giving up any assets for.
          Again, at $5.3 Mil (if the figures are correct), makes little sense. Is he a 3 or a 2? We have him while we still have Barbosa on the roster? Unless Phoenix is sending us a pick as well, I'm poo-pooing this one. He's not going to play a full season that's for sure.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Translation of Matts French quote via Google:
            News: Mickael Pietrus will play there again this season in Phoenix? According to Southwest, he left for Toronto. It must be said that the fate of Guadeloupe is not the priority of the Suns, more concerned about the future of Grant Hill (free but likely to remain) and Steve Nash (free end of the season) or by opening the market free players (Sebastian Telfair, the cousin of the former local star Stephon Marbury, and Shanon Brown approached). Mike Pietrus was still Wednesday in Pau, where he met Claude Marquis and had to return to Phoenix on Thursday. It was the end of rehabilitation after a knee operation this summer.
            No mention of how exactly he was acquired. Only that he's left for Toronto.
            Perhaps theres something else in the city?

Comment

It seems we're get him for a second round pick

And it's done; a conditional second round pick goes out to Phoenix, if Pietrus passes a physical and the fact he's got one year and $5.3 million left on his deal makes it a perfect fit for what Bryan wants to do
              Source:
              http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...g-pietrus.html

Comment

nice, we need a shooter to spread the floor. 5.3 million 1 year deal for 2nd round draft pick not bad...
                Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  Again, at $5.3 Mil (if the figures are correct), makes little sense. Is he a 3 or a 2? We have him while we still have Barbosa on the roster? Unless Phoenix is sending us a pick as well, I'm poo-pooing this one. He's not going to play a full season that's for sure.
                  There's only 1 year left on the deal, so the $5.3 million should be of no concern to us. Pietrus provides defense, leadership, outside shooting, playoff experience, and doesn't affect our cap space next summer. You can guarantee he'll make J.Johnson earn the starting SF spot. Great move in my opinion.

Magloire and Pietrus are exactly that type of players that are needed to perform the "culture change" Casey and Colangelo spoke about. I can already see us committing more hard fouls this year (instead of giving up uncontested layups)

Looking forward to seeing who else Colangelo has in mind.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Dec 9, 2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

There's only 1 year left on the deal, so the $5.3 million should be of no concern to us. Pietrus provides defense, leadership, outside shooting, playoff experience, and doesn't affect our cap space next summer. You can guarantee he'll make J.Johnson earn the starting SF spot. Great move in my opinion.
                    +1
                    Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

The Raptors most likely will be drafting in the top 5, so would therefore have the 31-35th pick as well. I hope that pick was worth Pietrus' contract. Losing a second pick in a hot draft is not the best move. Hopefully BC now tries to get another one to replace the one he lost.

*EDIT* - it's a conditional pick. Missed that part. The Raptors will probably still have that 2nd pick after all.
                      Last edited by planetmars; Fri Dec 9, 2011, 10:05 AM. Reason: oops - conditional pick

Comment

Magloire and Pietrus are exactly that type of players that are needed to perform the "culture change" Casey and Colangelo spoke about. I can already see us committing more hard fouls this year (instead of giving up uncontested layups)

Looking forward to seeing who else Colangelo has in mind.
                        Fully agree.

Always liked Pietrus. Hard nosed, multi faceted player. Great pick up for a Second Round pick.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          The Raptors most likely will be drafting in the top 5, so would therefore have the 31-35th pick as well. I hope that pick was worth Pietrus' contract. Losing a second pick in a hot draft is not the best move. Hopefully BC now tries to get another one to replace the one he lost.

*EDIT* - it's a conditional pick. Missed that part. The Raptors will probably still have that 2nd pick after all.
                          Yes. Hopefully like top 55 protected.

Comment

All I can say is thank goodness. He fits way better than anyone we could get on the FA market. He plays both wings, is athletic, shoots and he can D up pretty freakin well (memories of him locking up Lebron when ORL made the finals). One year is fine, and 2nd rd picks are always worth trading, I don't care how deep a draft is. Also could be an audition if after this year we feel he'd be an upgrade over JJ and Kleiza, even if it's to stay on as our main wing off the bench.

Now the question is, who will be the 3rd PG management gets? Not really important in the grand scheme of things, but what else is there to speculate on?

Comment

Now with Magloire and Pietrus, wouldnt that ruin their chances for a higher pick in the draft? im guessing adding two defensive guys could probably add more wins.

Also, might BC give Pietrus an extension since he fits a need for the Raptors?

Comment

Working...
                              X