Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you happy with the direction of the 2011-2012 Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you happy with the direction of the 2011-2012 Raptors?

Looking through the comments of Arse's article on the homepage of RR regarding this weekend's signings has left me baffled.

Three things I guess one needs to keep in mind before I continue:
    1) many people will never be happy,
    2) many people struggle to see the forest through the trees - especially if they don't follow college ball,
    3) many people are experts in the science of hindsight.

So why am I baffled? Because it appears there are only extremists in Raptorland.

"We are going to win at least 33 games (equivalent of 41), be at least a .500 team, and make the 8th seed at minimum."

"We are awful. The Raptors should leave town. No free agent will ever sign here. We are going to be bad but it won't matter, we're not getting a franchise player. BC was an idiot in in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and still is one in 2011 - oh yeah, and will be an idiot next year too. There is no plan moving forward. Why didn't we go after Gasol/Chandler/Nene or anyone who would help us this year?"

To be honest, now I'm being extreme. There are a number of views that are rational and reasonable in my opinion. My opinion is very much appreciating what we are witnessing. In my view the Raptors are finally on the right path. It is not the easy path or the path to instant gratification but it is a path that will lead to more than a first round exit.

This is how I see the 2011-12 Raptors:

1) We are going to be one of the worst teams with one of the brightest futures.
    2) We have a coach who excels in what the Raptors have long lacked - defense.
    3) We have a roster that, despite being told they will suck, will do everything they can to prove the naysayers wrong - unfortunately they will not have the talent to overcome.
    4) We have a lot of young players who are going to learn from professionals who have been around the league a long time - staying power, absent star talent, is a testament to professionalism, hard work, and knowing your role.
    5) We have a lot of young players who are going to be taught first and coached second - it has become a cliche but this really is building.
    6) We have a team that is committed to change because the alternative is to pick bench splinters from one's ass.
    7) We have a team with young players with something to prove in one way or another - either that they belong in the NBA (Bayless, JJ, hopefully Forbes), they are worth their contract (Amir), they possess starter talent (ED), they are a legit NBA star (DD), they can do more than score (guess who).
    8) We have one summer to add a free agent or two who matter before worrying about contract extensions to players rolling off rookie deals.
    9) Rookie deals are 4 years as are signing free agents or sign and trades - i.e. we can offer a max contract this summer and a near max contract if Calderon is amnestied (about $22-23M in cap space).
    10) Any massive contract offered next summer would expire at the same time JV's and 2012 pick rookie deals end.
    11) At the trade deadline or draft, the Raptors have assets in Bargnani (like him or not), Barbosa, ED, and expiring contracts.
    12) The current roster has a number of great role players and 2nd/3rd options but no franchise player in a year when they will struggle and.......
    13) The 2012 draft is loaded.

What are your thoughts on the 2011-12 Raptors? Are you happy with the direction the franchise is headed?
    Yes.
    86.05%
    No.
    13.95%

One thing to add that you didn't mention (unless I missed it): the acquisitions point to the idea that they want to start playing the right way in order to better being able to teach and develop the players; a little bit more size and defense for the center position and a long distance shooter who can defend, two things we badly needed in order to have a little bit more balance in our team.

Comment

Next year two essentially top five picks land on the Raptors roster.
      Next years pick is from one of the most highly regarded drafts in years
      JV, the 2011 pick is widely regarded as one of the best big man picks in years.
      The Raps will have between 8 and 15 million to spend on the free agent market, after picking up JV's and their new picks contracts.
      They will have a core of young, experienced role players in DD, ED, JJ and maybe AB. They may have some older experienced bench players in AJ and LK. Those plus their draft picks equal 8 solid roster spots. There is at least the possibility that DD and JV could be something special. AB might change his spots, and at least will be less of a liability under a defensive minded coach who has successfully implemented an improves defensive regimen.
      The Raps have filled out the roster with players that will be gone unless they show something worth keeping, all at prices that are easily affordable. A couple of these guys might have their contracts extended.
      The Raps are in a position to make a few trades at the deadline this year that may send one dimensional players to teams making a run in exchange for younger potential laiden players who have yet to prove themselves, or expiring contracts accompanying draft picks.

I love it.

Comment

+1
        Also happy, for all the reasons given.

Comment

I'm quite happy with the direction and with the signings. There's obviously one thing I'd like to see happen, but I'm still hoping that will sooner rather than later.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Next year two essentially top five picks land on the Raptors roster.
            Next years pick is from one of the most highly regarded drafts in years
            JV, the 2011 pick is widely regarded as one of the best big man picks in years.
            The Raps will have between 8 and 15 million to spend on the free agent market, after picking up JV's and their new picks contracts.
            They will have a core of young, experienced role players in DD, ED, JJ and maybe AB. They may have some older experienced bench players in AJ and LK. Those plus their draft picks equal 8 solid roster spots. There is at least the possibility that DD and JV could be something special. AB might change his spots, and at least will be less of a liability under a defensive minded coach who has successfully implemented an improves defensive regimen.
            The Raps have filled out the roster with players that will be gone unless they show something worth keeping, all at prices that are easily affordable. A couple of these guys might have their contracts extended.
            The Raps are in a position to make a few trades at the deadline this year that may send one dimensional players to teams making a run in exchange for younger potential laiden players who have yet to prove themselves, or expiring contracts accompanying draft picks.

I love it.
            I am in total agreement with your thoughts. One thing I'd clarify (and if this is wrong, please let me know) is the cap space.

According to HoopsHype.com the Raptors have a payroll of $39.5M next season. The salary cap will be $58M again (as per new CBA, soft cap freeze for 2 years). JV's first year salary is $2.9M. Lets assume we have a top 5 pick, that means the first year rookie deal for 2012 pick will be between $2.9-$4.4M. So lets take on $6.5M for two lotto picks which takes us to $45M*. This leaves the Raptors with $13M in cap space in the summer of 2012 with 10 players under contract. However if Jose was amnestied or traded for expiring contracts, that takes the Raptors down to $34.5M* and gives the Raptors $23.5M in cap space.

Again, total agreement with your thoughts, I just wanted to clarify the Raptor's payroll situation. They really are well positioned for next summer. If I have made a mistake or miscalculation somewhere along the way, please set me straight.

*the unknown is Gary Forbes contract value. The numbers I gave would have to subtract his contract. Any more than $2M will be too much in my opinion.

Comment

I'm not satisfied because we're gunna win too many games ... I would rather we filled out the roster with d-leaguers and veteran minimums than sign half decent players. All this will do is give us a legit shot at 20-30 wins when I want us to stap in the single digits :P

Comment

I'm only happy with the last three picks that the team has had (DeRozan, Davis and Valanciunas). If championships are built through the draft then I guess I'm happy with the direction. We need to draft a PG or a SF (Barnes would be nice) next year and we'll have the direction completed. I'm also happy with the cap space for 2012.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                  I'm not satisfied because we're gunna win too many games ... I would rather we filled out the roster with d-leaguers and veteran minimums than sign half decent players. All this will do is give us a legit shot at 20-30 wins when I want us to stap in the single digits :P
                  20-30 wins in a 66 game schedule would be 24.8-37 wins in an 82 game season.

Personally, 20 may happen but that would be my maximum guess. 24/25 wins last year still would have been 5th or 6th worst. That team ended up picking 3rd (NJ pick to Utah). Also, the team that had 32 wins with the 8th worst record picked #1 (LAC to Cleveland).

I think BC has set the team up nicely to have more than a small chance to pick top 3 and leaving it in the hands of the lottery gods.

Comment

Im happy with how things are going, but what Id really like to see is Andrea traded for draft picks, doesnt have to be top 5, but a first and second rounder would do it for me.

Comment

Like the post Matt, I am an optimist, and like the direction of the team. I am very happy with the Magloire, Gray and Butler signings, and from what I read from all of you the Forbes. Carter is decent, and looking forward to JV coming over next year and the development of the young guys. I am a little iffy on the cap room for next year, wanting the space left to re-sign rookies moving forward and concerned with how it might be spent.

The draft will be exciting, but I highly doubt BC gets another draft pick as so many hope.

Good direction, would like to see more movement, such as Barbosa for picks, but good direction.

Comment

I'm happy with the future, but unfortunately I live in the present. The raptors are going to be terrible this year and they know it, therefore I am unhappy.

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                          Im happy with how things are going, but what Id really like to see is Andrea traded for draft picks, doesnt have to be top 5, but a first and second rounder would do it for me.
                          I am with you here, but I just had a newborn so my brain is mush, and therefore justifying my cautious hope improvement with his all-round game will happen this year.........

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
                            I'm happy with the future, but unfortunately I live in the present. The raptors are going to be terrible this year and they know it, therefore I am unhappy.
                            The raptors were terrible last year but for whatever reasons I enjoyed watching the games much more than the previous two seasons. Maybe because it was young guys trying hard and learning their profession. I don't have a problem with the wins and losses numbers if I see players trying hard and improving. Gives me hope for the future, which really is all about competing for a championship. I am not interested in 15 years of early exits form the playoffs.

Comment

I'm calling for 25wins and 41losses this season. would you consider me to be on one extreme?

I agree with everything you and Puffer have said. When it comes to my personal opinion about the direction we're headed in. FINALLY! I'm very happy for this to be happening. Whether or not we pick top 3, top 5 or top 10. Its a deep draft!! no matter where we pick in the lottery we will get a very decent player.

I was even happier that Colangelo didn't use the amnesty clause this when when next year if need would yield much better results and potential.

5-7 or so years down the road when we've won a playoff series or 2, players around the league will start to look at Toronto as a viable option. I'm a strong believer in "If you build it, they will come"

Comment

Working...
                              X