Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big_chris
    replied
    The difference in talent gap when choosing 1 - 5, and choosing 12 - 18 is franchise altering. Why take the risk? The right free agent signing, a couple young guy's emerging, and the right chemistry... and we have a team that could easily jump right on the treadmill.

I'm happy with the direction BC went. We have an amnesty provision, and I believe we still have the TPE. If there is something worth doing, it can get done.
    Last edited by big_chris; Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling error

Leave a comment:

• minks77
    replied
    I really liked Brewer coming out of College and thought he'd of been a nice fit on the Raps at the time. Loved his hustle and defence. Offensively he's still a little challenged and relies on his hops too much but he'd of fit in nice with that squad that needed youth and athletcsm at the wings. His injury history is a little scary but I have a feeling that some team will give him a chance and he'll blossom. I mean look at how he was jerked around in Minny (and who he was playing with), barely played with the Mavs and I bet his confidence is a little shot.

I'd rather have CB over Forbes or Butler.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    That's a valid position; I just disagree with it.

Leave a comment:

• yertu damkule
    replied
    Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Why?

Waiting
    Pros: Possibility of quality youngsters available on the cheap (but the Raptors will not be the only team insterested in those youngsters and may fail to land any).
    Cons: The players BryCo wants may no longer be available.

I prefer to control my destiny and act early.
    i'm kind of thinking that most of these guys - or similar stop-gap players - would be available. maybe not these exact players, but guys of similar ilk. are we really expecting anything of substance out of them? if he's just looking to fill out the roster - and these signings are that to a T - then why not just wait a few minutes & see how the market plays out? OMG, they might miss the chance to sign anthony carter or rasual butler!?! heavens to betsy NO! where oh where would they ever be able to find comprable talent?

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Good points Matt. At this point I'd rather them not Amnesty Calderon(the most likely guy) unless it's really necessary. They've become so young that they're going to need a solid veteran presence in the locker room and on the bench. His defense is probably always going to be mediocre but he's proven to be very good at kick starting the offense off the bench and being able to knock down big shots. I think his transition back to the bench will be easy and will allow him to extend his NBA career.
    Is just hope Calderon is indeed transitioned to the bench. I'm not sure if the starter's role has been handed to Bayless just yet, although I agree it should be for evaluation purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Good points Matt. At this point I'd rather them not Amnesty Calderon(the most likely guy) unless it's really necessary. They've become so young that they're going to need a solid veteran presence in the locker room and on the bench. His defense is probably always going to be mediocre but he's proven to be very good at kick starting the offense off the bench and being able to knock down big shots. I think his transition back to the bench will be easy and will allow him to extend his NBA career.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    but will BC regret not taking a more patient approach, seeing what players land where, and seeing if some good quality youngsters could be had on the cheap.
    Why?

Waiting
    Pros: Possibility of quality youngsters available on the cheap (but the Raptors will not be the only team insterested in those youngsters and may fail to land any).
    Cons: The players BryCo wants may no longer be available.

I prefer to control my destiny and act early.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    They're sitting at $39M without the $4M qualifying offer to Bayless and without the player option to Alabi ($900K). With Brewer and Bayless on the books they're sitting at $47M. Then you toss in another $2-4M for a 1st rounder and they're probably sitting at $50M heading into free agency next summer. I'm not sure it's such a good idea after all. I'd much rather them enter free agency at $42M and with the option to place the qualifying offer to Bayless and actually being able to afford to do it without taking them out of the hunt for a star or a couple starter quality players.
    Don't forget JV. He adds another $2.9M next year. So we are at $45 minus Bayless offer. Luckily if a really good opportunity presents itself, the Raps can shed $10.5M very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    They're sitting at $39M without the $4M qualifying offer to Bayless and without the player option to Alabi ($900K). With Brewer and Bayless on the books they're sitting at $47M. Then you toss in another $2-4M for a 1st rounder and they're probably sitting at $50M heading into free agency next summer. I'm not sure it's such a good idea after all. I'd much rather them enter free agency at $42M and with the option to place the qualifying offer to Bayless and actually being able to afford to do it without taking them out of the hunt for a star or a couple starter quality players.

Leave a comment:

• yertu damkule
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    We should still have TPE left over since we didn't get to use it on Pietrus. Brewer makes about 3M. Dallas I'm sure would have no problems taking TPE for Brewer if all they want is a salary dump. If Butler does not resign with Denver, then I hope BC makes a deal with Dallas. How long does Denver have to match? It's 3 days now right?

I say no to Fernandez.. I think he could turn into a cancerous player if he doesn't get his minutes.
    i think you mean forbes?

agree re. rudy, although...it's pretty clear (at least to me) that he'd at least be given a modicum of PT. how he uses that PT depends on whether he wants to stick in the NBA, or if he plans to return to the euroleague. would playing with jose mean anything to him?

Leave a comment:

• yertu damkule
    replied
    Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I doubt it; BryCo made his moves before the Mavericks traded for Odom. He might wish he had a roster spot open but i doubt he will have buyer's remorse for failure to predict the impact of a trade no one saw coming.

I would not mind the Raptors taking a flyer on Fernandez if the deal for Forbes fall thorugh. He is unlikely to stay but given he won't cost more than a 2nd round pick, the Raptors may want to gamble on the possibility of him changing his mind.
    but will BC regret not taking a more patient approach, seeing what players land where, and seeing if some good quality youngsters could be had on the cheap. it's not like the guys he's picked up were hot commodities that had to be signed right now. it's not like, say, when there was that huuuge bidding war for kapono & BC had to act RIGHT THEN with a STRONG offer. oh, wait...

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    We should still have TPE left over since we didn't get to use it on Pietrus. Brewer makes about 3M. Dallas I'm sure would have no problems taking TPE for Brewer if all they want is a salary dump. If Butler does not resign with Denver, then I hope BC makes a deal with Dallas. How long does Denver have to match? It's 3 days now right?

I say no to Fernandez.. I think he could turn into a cancerous player if he doesn't get his minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    Is the TPE still in play? When does it expire?
    December 16th.

Leave a comment:

• yertu damkule
    replied
    Odom is one and done probably.

Is the TPE still in play? When does it expire?
    this week...15th or 16th, i think...can't remember exact day.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    Just wondering if BC is/will have a touch of buyer's remorse this morning when he finds out the Mavs are - apparently - desparate to get Fernandez & Brewer off the roster. I can't imagine they'd make a play for either...right? Pretty sure there's enough left of Bosh's TPE to absord one (or both) using it...
    I doubt it; BryCo made his moves before the Mavericks traded for Odom. He might wish he had a roster spot open but i doubt he will have buyer's remorse for failure to predict the impact of a trade no one saw coming.

I would not mind the Raptors taking a flyer on Fernandez if the deal for Forbes fall thorugh. He is unlikely to stay but given he won't cost more than a 2nd round pick, the Raptors may want to gamble on the possibility of him changing his mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X