Aaron Gray as our starting Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Gray as our starting Center

I think he is the best suitable to be the starting Center next to Bargnani. His huge takes up a lot a space in the paint and his a great rebounder. I think he couple produce like Reggie Evans had next to Bargnani but, a better finisher and more length

'07-'08 .505 .566 17.1 11.0 2.7 52.9 11.9 16.5 20.6 15.5 14.24
    '08-'09 .485 .576 11.0 12.3 2.6 50.8 16.5 14.3 13.6 17.6 11.49
    '09-'10 .512 .714 13.4 13.6 2.8 55.1 16.4 13.4 14.4 19.8 16.62
    '10-'11 .566 .500 9.7 12.9 1.2 56.6 9.9 19.8 11.9 19.6 11.07
    '11-'12 (Projected) .546 .528 10.3 12.4 1.7 55.3 12.3 18.3 12.8 18.7 11.18

+ Huge, burly center who needs to lose weight. Can make short-range jump hooks.

+ Unathletic, but excellent rebounder with good feel for low-post play.

+ Size an asset in post defense but mobility a negative. Obscenely high foul rate.

Gray got in better shape (relative to his previous mass, anyway) and provided some nice moments as a third center, most notably in the Hornets' Game 1 upset of the Lakers in the playoffs. His size can be a factor when he's not bowling over defenders with illegal screens, and defensively he controls the glass (seventh-best rebound rate among centers) and can body up against big post players.

Gray has no mobility at all and fouls like there's no tomorrow; last season it was one every 5.53 minutes, the third-highest rate among centers. Conditioning plays a role here, too; he's constantly a step late and out of position, drawing the whistle. Credit him for shedding pounds last season in the worst city in America for healthy, low-fat food choices, but there's more work to be done.
    @Chr1st1anL

I'd rather see either Ed or Amir starting next to Bargnani - Either way it won't really matter since those 3 will be the only post players averaging better than 20 mins per game.

His game is comparable to a Rasho (minus a jumper) or a younger Jeff Foster, but assuming Bargnani is starting and Casey isn't a miracle worker, what we need more than anything beside him is someone to play help D and block shots (as well as rebounding) - I'm not convinced Gray would be any better than Bargs at helping/mobility so I don't see him spending alot of time beside him - he'll average 10-15 mins a night though between injuries and fatigue.
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

More Ed and Amir please.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        More Ed and Amir please.
        Cosigned.

Comment

Dwane Casey said he was going to play Ed and Bargnani at their natural position at the 4 so Ed won't be starting games next to barney
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Positions, positions, positions. Just because 2 guys are both the same position, does not mean they will only get minutes there. I fully agree with what I imagine almost everyone else here will say: 3 big rotation of Bargs, Amir and Ed. Gray will just become the first big beyond them since he's younger than Magloire and big enough to play the true bigs like Gasol. I think that's why they got him really, just to make sure they had a young body in case Magloire isn't ready to hold up (which I doubt he is) if there are lots of injuries or something. Alabi will probably only get garbage time and would not be ready for that role if something happened and it fell to him to play something like 20+ minutes a night.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Dwane Casey said he was going to play Ed and Bargnani at their natural position at the 4 so Ed won't be starting games next to barney
              Bargnani's natural position is a 4? Who would have known?

Comment

The combination of Bargnani, Amir and Davis will play the bulk of the minutes at the 4 and 5. Gray, Magloire and Alabi will provide spot minutes.

Comment

I don't see any real competition for Aaron Gray for starting center and that's certainly what Gray was looking at when he signed a one year deal hoping to cash in next year as a free agent.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Then start Ed next to Aaron. Or Amir.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      The combination of Bargnani, Amir and Davis will play the bulk of the minutes at the 4 and 5.
                      IMO, the statement above reflects what a lot of people think the raptors should do with the rebuild. Personally it's how i'd split up the minutes. However, from interviews i've listened to and read, I'm not convinced that it reflects the way management is going to divide the minutes. We do have Casey on record as stating Davis will go no minutes at the 5 spot. I would also say that it has been implied that Barg's will get his minutes only at the 4 spot.

So even though I would agree with the division of minutes above, the only way it would reflect management's thinking is if Amir gets more than 24 minutes a game at the Center position. I do think i've read that Amir will get some minutes at the Center spot; however, if they know he's going to be the starting Center this year logging 24+ mpg at that spot, why pick up BOTH Magoire and Gray? If Amir is playing the 5 spot exclusively then the depth chart looks something like

Amir/Gray/Magoire/Alabi

Moving Amir to the C spot frees up the glut at PF but moves the glut (of Mediocre players) to the C position. Based on the compressed schedule with tons of back to backs and few practices, and the fact that the raptors aren't looking to win but to ingrain the right behaviours I think Casey is going to be running a lot of different line ups from game to game, to give guys enough rest AND to develop guys in different situations.

I wouldn't be surprised if every player gets a few DNP-CDs sprinkled throughout the season for rest and to use different line ups.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Call me crazy ( I am after all "The Fox") but I assumed it would be Gray and then Magloire. Wouldn't Ed be on the 4 with Amir?
                        Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

The Fox wrote: View Post
                          Call me crazy ( I am after all "The Fox") but I assumed it would be Gray and then Magloire. Wouldn't Ed be on the 4 with Amir?
                          But if Bargnani stays with the team, then you've got 3 players fighting it out for 48 minutes. SOmething's got to give.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            But if Bargnani stays with the team, then you've got 3 players fighting it out for 48 minutes. SOmething's got to give.
                            Bargnani will end up with the Lakers.

I should probably put this in the crystal ball thread.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Bargnani will end up with the Lakers.

I should probably put this in the crystal ball thread.
                              I think after the botched Paul trade, the Lakers and Buss are probably so pissed off at the league (and especially the small market teams) that they purposely go under the tax so they don't have to spend a penny in revenue sharing. Heck they gave away Odom for free!

So I'm not sure if they'd go after someone like Bargnani who is owed an average of $10M+ a year - more than Odom was getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X