Toronto Raptors Interviews Dec 15th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors Interviews Dec 15th

James Johnson is going to surprise a lot of people this season. He's one of my favorite players. I'm a sucker for underdogs.

It sounds like Casey likes Bayless' game more than Calderon's game. Calderon starts and sets the tone for the offense and then Bayless finishes the game when they need more energy and speed to come up with stops. Fair assessment?

You know what I hate though? To me it seems like the media has been trying to frame this up as a PG controversy, sort of like TJ vs. Jose. I know, it makes for some easy writing for these guys but to me it seems like Bayless isn't biting. The man seems like he has no real ego, he's a true team player. He says all the right things and that's half the battle in Toronto.

I can't wait to see how Ed developed over the off-season. He's one of my favorites and I think he can be a double double guy this season if given the minutes. It's more likely he gets around 25MPG though. That's close to last year's average but everyone has to remember that for most of the season he was getting less than 20MPG and it wasn't to the dying stretch that they really gave him a lot of burn... Once the games meant nothing. 25MPG this season will seem like a lot more than the 24MPG he received last season if that makes sense to you.

Man, I'm really excited to see some games. I can't remember being this excited about a Raptors team since TJ was still here and playing well. They won't win many this year but they're going to go down swinging every night and they'll be great to watch in my opinion. I think the offense has a legitimate shot at improving. Jose will be healthy, Bargnani is going to try and play the rock in the paint a little more to mix it up, Amir is improving his mid range shot, DeRozan has been working on his mid to long range all summer with the likes of Kobe & Durant. There are a lot of positive stories to be had entering this season.

Comment

I too share your optimism. HOWEVER, this is a team that is going to be drastically changing its identity and its culture. That is tough to ask from these players. Once an offensive juggernaut, they will now be thrusted with defensive accountability the likes of which no one has ever seen before. I too will try to see some games and I'd love to see just how much they evolve as a team with this defensive mindset.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It's funny, but also a little distressing, how the reporters are pushing and pushing to get competitive quotes from Calderon and Bayless. I'm glad neither is biting. We already knew Calderon was a team-first, selfless player, and it looks like Bayless is the same way. Good stuff.

Comment

I think Bayless is happy with his situation in Toronto, last season he was given the chance to play and showed signs of being a legit NBA player. I know I would be happy with being locked in as the #2 PG on a roster receiving regular minutes, with a great chance to be a starter/play starter's minutes. He has a chance to continue to learn how to effectively run the pick n roll from a solid vet and will do it while getting playing time.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Some reporter mentioned something to Calderon about, "Bayless supporting you". Calderon's response was, "No, I will be supporting him". He didn't even have to think about it...it was an instinctual, immediate response.

Great quote from a stand-up guy in Calderon. One of the all-time nicest teammates the Raps have ever had.

Comment

Agree with Apollo with the optimism going into this season. We all know this team won't be very good (from a W-L perspective), but I'm excited about the individual growth expected from pretty much every player. Hopefully that growth will translate into team growth as well from a chemistry and trust perspective. I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Im tuning out until JV comes over and Barnes gets drafted.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                James Johnson is going to surprise a lot of people this season. He's one of my favorite players. I'm a sucker for underdogs.

It sounds like Casey likes Bayless' game more than Calderon's game. Calderon starts and sets the tone for the offense and then Bayless finishes the game when they need more energy and speed to come up with stops. Fair assessment?

You know what I hate though? To me it seems like the media has been trying to frame this up as a PG controversy, sort of like TJ vs. Jose. I know, it makes for some easy writing for these guys but to me it seems like Bayless isn't biting. The man seems like he has no real ego, he's a true team player. He says all the right things and that's half the battle in Toronto.

I can't wait to see how Ed developed over the off-season. He's one of my favorites and I think he can be a double double guy this season if given the minutes. It's more likely he gets around 25MPG though. That's close to last year's average but everyone has to remember that for most of the season he was getting less than 20MPG and it wasn't to the dying stretch that they really gave him a lot of burn... Once the games meant nothing. 25MPG this season will seem like a lot more than the 24MPG he received last season if that makes sense to you.

Man, I'm really excited to see some games. I can't remember being this excited about a Raptors team since TJ was still here and playing well. They won't win many this year but they're going to go down swinging every night and they'll be great to watch in my opinion. I think the offense has a legitimate shot at improving. Jose will be healthy, Bargnani is going to try and play the rock in the paint a little more to mix it up, Amir is improving his mid range shot, DeRozan has been working on his mid to long range all summer with the likes of Kobe & Durant. There are a lot of positive stories to be had entering this season.

Comment

Top5Pick wrote: View Post
                  I'm interested to see whether Barnes stays at the top of the SF crop this draft year. Quincy Miller and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist might actually challenge him by the end of the year. There have been some concerns about Barnes' defensive intensity and his ability to create shots off the dribble. Either way, it looks like there will be three very good options at SF in this draft, along with some front-court studs.

Comment

Statistics from SI.com are not backing up Barnes at this time. If Toronto needs help on defense and rebounding, Barnes might not be that guy.

Comment

I agree. I know a lot of people who contribute to discussions on this site want to lose Calderon's contract, but honestly I'd be fine to eat the contract to have the locker-room guy who is committed to this team.
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Yeah i know, JV is and was the best player in the draft last year and he will bring the D presence and athleticism inside that the Raps have needed, making it possible for them to draft an offensive player they have lacked at the wing spot since Wince left.

Comment

I'm thinking we draft an explosive young SF like Quincy. Barnes is off my list for now

Comment

JV is and was the best player in the draft last year...
                            It may not be that certain. I expect Derrick Williams to be an absolute beast. And don't sleep on Kyrie and Kemba either.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Some reporter mentioned something to Calderon about, "Bayless supporting you". Calderon's response was, "No, I will be supporting him". He didn't even have to think about it...it was an instinctual, immediate response.

Great quote from a stand-up guy in Calderon. One of the all-time nicest teammates the Raps have ever had.
                              I honestly think Calderon will be one of the greatest Raptors, not because of his play, but his attitude. He has played with this team for so long, and has always been positive and been supporting of this team.

You may think it would be easy to do, but dont forget that last year, we essentially did trade him, before it was denied. Think about how Odom demanded a trade and felt betrayed? Calderon just kept playing and being a great vocal player.
                              Also add in the fact that we got two other PG's (Ford and JJ) and moved him to the bench for a long portion of his seasons. Yet he is still here and is happy.

I think people undervalue his contributions to the culture in Toronto. I hope he retires a Raptor.

Comment

Working...
                              X